Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
May 25, 2022 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,452

Bkido

100+ Head-Fier

Since I wasn't able to find a discussion thread on this amplifier I thought I'd create this thread to talk about it.​

Reference Amplifier with unprecedented transparency and precision, attention to detail and massive power performance. Rich feature set for both high-end enthusiasts and professional users. Designed and manufactured in Germany.

1653461812610.png

Inputs/Outputs​

Line Inputs balanced – Impedance 20KΩ – max. level +23dBu
Line Outputs balanced – Impedance 47Ω – max. level +23dBu
transformer-like behaviour: hot or cold may be connected to ground without loss
Line Inputs unbalanced – Impedance 20KΩ – max. level +23dBu
Line Outputs unbalanced – Impedance 47Ω – max. level +23dBu

Headphones Output​

Impedance Class A 0,8Ω, Class A & Servo 0,045Ω
max. level +23,5dBu (+/-16,5V)

Output Power per Side​

RMS 4W/30Ω; 7W/15Ω
Peak 7,6W/30Ω; 11W/15Ω; 12W/10Ω (18W for 1,5ms)

Frequency Response​

10Hz ... 30kHz -/+0,05dB
1Hz ... 500kHz better than -3dB at Headphones Output @ +6dBu

Gain​

Line/Line – 0dB – +15dB switchable on rear panel
Line/Headphones – +6dB – +15dB switchable on rear panel

Noise​

20Hz ... 20kHz flat RMS / A or B active
XLR/RCA Output -102dBu
Headphones Output -97dBu

Headphones Output THD (Total Harmonic Distortion)​

Class A 0,07% – Class A & Servo 0,0005%
(typ. @ +20dBu/7,75Veff / 30Ω load / 2W RMS)

Power Supply​

Mains Voltage – AC 50-60Hz, switchable 100V / 110V / 120V / 220V / 230V / 240V
Power Consumption – typ. 40W, max. 60W

Measures and Weights​

HM1: WxHxD approx. 225 x 90 x 300mm, approx. 5kg
HMP1 (Mains Adapter): WxHxC approx. 170 x 60 x 185mm, approx. 1,2kg

More infos at: https://hm1.zaehl.com/en/

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 1,452
the "precision comparison" application is quite interesting!
level matching two DACS/sources and flipping instantly between the two.. nice!

May 25, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 1,452
Glad I got a chance to hear this amp at home last year. Was sent a prototype for CanJam SoCal and after a minor issue with USPS causing some damage I had to fix up, got a chance to hear in my setup for at least a day or two before we got to show it at the event.

B8zngqr.jpg

Impressive as heck and sounded absolutely stunning for me. Final production version had a laundry list of improvements over the prototype. Drove my HE-6 effortlessly and the HD 800S scaled incredibly well with it.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 25, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 1,452
Glad I got a chance to hear this amp at home last year. Was sent a prototype for CanJam SoCal and after a minor issue with USPS causing some damage I had to fix up, got a chance to hear in my setup for at least a day or two before we got to show it at the event.

B8zngqr.jpg

Impressive as heck and sounded absolutely stunning for me. Final production version had a laundry list of improvements over the prototype. Drove my HE-6 effortlessly and the HD 800S scaled incredibly well with it.
What is the price for admission. Have the Enleum amp and couldn’t be happier with its performance.

May 25, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 1,452
What is the price for admission. Have the Enleum amp and couldn’t be happier with its performance.
$7,999 in USA and looks like £6,999.00 over the pond:
https://www.headphones.com/products/zahl-hm1-reference-desktop-headphone-amplifier

The Enleum is also a great a great amp! We were also able to show it off for CanJam SoCal last year but FedEx delivered the unit to me like an hour before I had to leave my house to go to the event! Enleum spent many many hours on the phone to try and get customs to release it otherwise without that, could have been a possibility we wouldn't have the demo for the show!

As a result I wasn't able to hear it at my setup the same way I was able to with the HM1.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 30, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 1,452
For anyone looking at the Zahl, we can confirm that 15 of the 50 units will be coming to North America with 8 of them spoken for at this time.

Michael has giving a tentative ship date for the 15 to be completed by October 24th but we are hoping to have some units sent before that time!

May 31, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 1,452
A comparison to the ENLEUM would be needed.
They had an Enleum 23-R in the same booth at the show.
The Enleum was great, and I'd quite like to spend more time with it, but honestly with the HM1 there it slightly paled in comparison.

HM1 seemed more detailed, more authoritative, staged better, and more flexible in signature too

May 31, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 1,452
A comparison to the ENLEUM would be needed
We'll have the Enleum and HM1 at CanJam SoCal this year so I would expect a lot more impressions to filter out between the two of them then.

Can someone post internals please.
May need to wait until Golden gets his unit but I can always reach out to Michael and see if he has any pictures.

Jun 6, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 1,452
Tough for me to put down $8k without having more info but damn this sounds promising.

Jun 7, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #15 of 1,452
Can’t wait for the shoot out !!
idk if I'll be able to do a shootout as I don't have an AMP-23R myself.
However a bunch of friends and I are doing a private meet at canjam SoCal where we will have hopefully just about every 'endgame' amp and headphone in one room so should be able to get some pretty interesting comparisons there! (And from more than just one person too which is always good)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back