Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jul 31, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #34 of 1,485
So RME had an HM1 at Canjam London and it was fantastic to spend a bit more time with it.

Not just with the HEDD they had there (which unfortunately I can’t really use because it does not fit people with enormous noggins like myself), but with some other great cans.

Firstly, the Hifiman Susvara (thank you Mark!)

20220730_160348

But also the truly excellent Raal CA1A (thank you Danny!)

20220730_164213

Both of these sounded absolutely incredible.
The amount of control and grip this thing can present is just second to none. And with Susvara the stereo base adjustment was VERY impressive.

I absolutely cannot wait to spend time with an HM1 at home. It’s the most impressive amplifier I’ve heard to date and everything I’ve heard on it has been arguably the best experience with each respective headphone.
It’s not just a great amp for one headphone, it’s stellar with EVERYTHING.
Stealth, CA1A, susvara, t60 argons, hedd, Diana TC, they all just shine on this device.

It’s so impressively honest and neutral but with such incredible impact, engagement and tweaks to make anything sound even more incredible. It puts a smile on my face like very few other devices do

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #35 of 1,485
So RME had an HM1 at Canjam London and it was fantastic to spend a bit more time with it.

Not just with the HEDD they had there (which unfortunately I can’t really use because it does not fit people with enormous noggins like myself), but with some other great cans.

Firstly, the Hifiman Susvara (thank you Mark!)

20220730_160348

But also the truly excellent Raal CA1A (thank you Danny!)

20220730_164213

Both of these sounded absolutely incredible.
The amount of control and grip this thing can present is just second to none. And with Susvara the stereo base adjustment was VERY impressive.

I absolutely cannot wait to spend time with an HM1 at home. It’s the most impressive amplifier I’ve heard to date and everything I’ve heard on it has been arguably the best experience with each respective headphone.
It’s not just a great amp for one headphone, it’s stellar with EVERYTHING.
Stealth, CA1A, susvara, t60 argons, hedd, Diana TC, they all just shine on this device.

It’s so impressively honest and neutral but with such incredible impact, engagement and tweaks to make anything sound even more incredible. It puts a smile on my face like very few other devices do
Curious if you compared the CFA3 and HM1 or if the sentiment is more cursory?

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #36 of 1,485
Curious if you compared the CFA3 and HM1 or if the sentiment is more cursory?
Not side by side though I had a friend's CFA3 about two weeks ago.

I personally think the HM1 is better. More dynamic and also more realistic sounding though I need to spend more time with HM1 before making further comparisons

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #37 of 1,485
Not side by side though I had a friend's CFA3 about two weeks ago.

I personally think the HM1 is better. More dynamic and also more realistic sounding though I need to spend more time with HM1 before making further comparisons
Thank you for clarification.

Aug 7, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #39 of 1,485
@GoldenOne did you try the Riviera AIC10? It is the only other amplifier apart from the HM1 that I can't seem to get out of my head?
I did, tried it first at Munich then again in London.
It's a fabulous amplifier. A friend of mine has one and has been raving about it for some time and I 110% see why.

The issue for me is the price. It's gone from 12k to 19k now I believe? And the hifonix dealer mentioned a potential future price increase to over 20k.

It's an awesome amp but that pricing is just too much and I'd rather get an APERIO or something at that point (or build an extension to the house for a dedicated speaker listening room. Once you're in the 20k+ pricepoint you can do a lot)

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #41 of 1,485
I did, tried it first at Munich then again in London.
It's a fabulous amplifier. A friend of mine has one and has been raving about it for some time and I 110% see why.

The issue for me is the price. It's gone from 12k to 19k now I believe? And the hifonix dealer mentioned a potential future price increase to over 20k.

It's an awesome amp but that pricing is just too much and I'd rather get an APERIO or something at that point (or build an extension to the house for a dedicated speaker listening room. Once you're in the 20k+ pricepoint you can do a lot)

That person raving is me. I seriously love this amp. That said, it won't be for everyone. I could legit see more people liking the shocking technicalities and realism of a wa33 over it (i personaly find wa33 pretty supremely boring tbh). I could also see a number of people going tube pre -> cfa 3 like @paradoxper does. For me though it strikes the perfect balance for susvara of energy and life but fantastic liquidity. I would love to try more amps in this price range (notably traformatic primavera, the totl oji special, and viva solista), but I don't see another amp fitting my tastes for susvara better than aic tbh. Plus, an awesome thing I don't often find in totl Amps, idk I've ever heard a poor dynergy match up with it.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #43 of 1,485
20220916_132625.jpg
20220916_130439.jpg

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #44 of 1,485
I've got one on order and really anxious for it to arrive. Will be make or break for my Susvaras, lest I sell them for something more musical. Reviews are very encouraging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back