Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jun 7, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #16 of 1,480
Tough for me to put down $8k without having more info but damn this sounds promising.
I think the 50 unit/year limit also made people jump on it before detailled reviews are out - me included. The FOMO is strong with this one 😂. Because if you haven't ordered one already now you'd likely have to wait another year to get your hands on one.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #17 of 1,480
I think the 50 unit/year limit also made people jump on it before detailled reviews are out - me included. The FOMO is strong with this one 😂. Because if you haven't ordered one already now you'd likely have to wait another year to get your hands on one.
There are still a few available in the US as per yesterday

Jun 7, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #18 of 1,480
idk if I'll be able to do a shootout as I don't have an AMP-23R myself.
However a bunch of friends and I are doing a private meet at canjam SoCal where we will have hopefully just about every 'endgame' amp and headphone in one room so should be able to get some pretty interesting comparisons there! (And from more than just one person too which is always good)
Depending on timing, I could bring my Woo WA33 Elite JPS edition. I really want to hear the Envy also.

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 1,480

I got FOMO'd. Thankfully I was able to pre-order one in time :)

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 1,480
Here's something I'm wondering: If the HM1 is used as a pre-amp, it essentially becomes a passive pre-amp right? If I'm reading correctly...basically, none of the effects (stereo width, etc.) will carry over?

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #21 of 1,480
Here's something I'm wondering: If the HM1 is used as a pre-amp, it essentially becomes a passive pre-amp right? If I'm reading correctly...basically, none of the effects (stereo width, etc.) will carry over?
No it's an active pre-amp and the effect section will also carry over to the pre outs. They also talked about this in the following interview:

Jun 18, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #23 of 1,480

Since I wasn't able to find a discussion thread on this amplifier I thought I'd create this thread to talk about it.​

Reference Amplifier with unprecedented transparency and precision, attention to detail and massive power performance. Rich feature set for both high-end enthusiasts and professional users. Designed and manufactured in Germany.

Inputs/Outputs​

Line Inputs balanced – Impedance 20KΩ – max. level +23dBu
Line Outputs balanced – Impedance 47Ω – max. level +23dBu
transformer-like behaviour: hot or cold may be connected to ground without loss
Line Inputs unbalanced – Impedance 20KΩ – max. level +23dBu
Line Outputs unbalanced – Impedance 47Ω – max. level +23dBu

Headphones Output​

Impedance Class A 0,8Ω, Class A & Servo 0,045Ω
max. level +23,5dBu (+/-16,5V)

Output Power per Side​

RMS 4W/30Ω; 7W/15Ω
Peak 7,6W/30Ω; 11W/15Ω; 12W/10Ω (18W for 1,5ms)

Frequency Response​

10Hz ... 30kHz -/+0,05dB
1Hz ... 500kHz better than -3dB at Headphones Output @ +6dBu

Gain​

Line/Line – 0dB – +15dB switchable on rear panel
Line/Headphones – +6dB – +15dB switchable on rear panel

Noise​

20Hz ... 20kHz flat RMS / A or B active
XLR/RCA Output -102dBu
Headphones Output -97dBu

Headphones Output THD (Total Harmonic Distortion)​

Class A 0,07% – Class A & Servo 0,0005%
(typ. @ +20dBu/7,75Veff / 30Ω load / 2W RMS)

Power Supply​

Mains Voltage – AC 50-60Hz, switchable 100V / 110V / 120V / 220V / 230V / 240V
Power Consumption – typ. 40W, max. 60W

Measures and Weights​

HM1: WxHxD approx. 225 x 90 x 300mm, approx. 5kg
HMP1 (Mains Adapter): WxHxC approx. 170 x 60 x 185mm, approx. 1,2kg

More infos at: https://hm1.zaehl.com/en/

Beautiful looking headphone amplifier. Too bad it's out of my price range. I find it interesting that given how common tone controls were on audio equipment from the 1950's through the 1970's, and then completely disregarded by the 1980's, how we are gradually seeing tone controls being included in headphone amplifiers now. They are quite practical in helping to tailor the sound of headphones to one's specific tastes. The saying everything comes full circle proves to be valid again.

I wonder if the HM-1 has sold out in the United States by now?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #24 of 1,480
Beautiful looking headphone amplifier. Too bad it's out of my price range. I find it interesting that given how common tone controls were on audio equipment from the 1950's through the 1970's, and then completely disregarded by the 1980's, how we are gradually seeing tone controls being included in headphone amplifiers now. They are quite practical in helping to tailor the sound of headphones to one's specific tastes. The saying everything comes full circle proves to be valid again.
Funny how things become cyclical like that. Reminds me of of how vinyl became popular again and turntable industry is rocking again now. Planar headphones were also an old tech that has seen fresh life now.

I remember a few years back, was talking with a company that does AMT speakers and they asked me about the HEDDphones. They said they made a prototype AMT headphone like the HEDD over 2 decades ago but at the time, they didn't think it was commercially viable for one. And the second aspect was that it was so inefficient, they said the speaker amps they had at the time had a tricky time driving them.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jul 2, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #25 of 1,480
Hey everyone. Still somewhat new to Head Fi, but thought I'd chime in...

The Zahl HM1 is what made me want to buy the Susvara last year at CanJam. I believe it was a prototype at the time, but I assume it's ability to drive that headphone remains in tact for this released version. My experience though of this headphone and amp combo was pretty mind-blowing and the only thing that came close to it was the Shangri-La Jr. system. Every other headphone I listened to sounded boxy after it (not the Shangri-La Jr., but everything else). It made me want to get one of these amps, for sure! I'd be curious to hear from anyone who gets it though how it does with your current setup! Please share!

Jul 11, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #26 of 1,480
Had the chance to hear it once at Spiritland, London.

20220711182438.jpg

To be honest at first glance, judging by its appearance, I thought it was just kind of studio equipment, nothing special. But after having a try and have the price checked, I was immediately shocked.
What impressed me most about it, was the ability to drive both high impedance headphones like the KK2, LCD4 and low impedance headphones like the TH900 909 with excellent performance. The th900 has a very vivid characteristic driven by this thing, the bass is very impactful and energetic despite being a bit tight, meanwhile the highs is well tamed, it's not like when you plug the TH900 to those amp designed for high impedance headphone which would cause treble getting out of control and soar to sky while sibilance is all over the vocal. the highs is well controlled on HM1, it remains the brightness and extension of highs of th900 while suppressed the sibilance and harshness.

From this point, I think the most interesting thing about the HM1 is that if you consider it as an amp designed for those low-resistance gears, it can drive the KK2 very well, at the same time, if you think of it as an amp for high-impedance gears, it can handle those low-resistance headphones like the TH900 with great resolutions, textures, and of course, most importantly, 'control'.

20220711182447.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #27 of 1,480
idk if I'll be able to do a shootout as I don't have an AMP-23R myself.
However a bunch of friends and I are doing a private meet at canjam SoCal where we will have hopefully just about every 'endgame' amp and headphone in one room so should be able to get some pretty interesting comparisons there! (And from more than just one person too which is always good)
Hey - I appreciate your reviews. I've been deciding between an M-Scaler and another Chord DAC (I have the Qutest) and the Holo May KTE and your reviews were really helpful, so thanks for doing what you do.

I'd be curious to hear what comes of that private meet, so please report back! I own the Susvara and I'm still looking for an amp that'll really drive it to its potential (I own the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos, but from when I've heard it with the Zahl, the Oor isn't quite there).

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #28 of 1,480
Just pre-ordered one of these. Been told it releases around october.

Jul 24, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #30 of 1,480
Just make sure with the vendor that you're in for this year's batch and not next year's.
Already checked, It's this years. I got the last one they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back