Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 3, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #767 of 1,480
More I read HM1 impressions and think of my experiences with it at Canjam NYC I'm led to believe it's the perfect electronic music amp
It absolutely is.

Mar 3, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #768 of 1,480
Yes compared both, they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum to each other. The HM1 has crazy technicalities with amazing slam/transient response and Imaging. It drives susvara absolutely effortlessly. The Red october has a huge open sound to it, insane midrange, very rich sounding, soft sounding but extremely smooth. Transients are pretty blunted, imaging is nowhere near as precise as the Hm1 but the red october is the most musical amp I've ever heard.

I favour HM1 and 1266TC for electronic music. Red october and 1266TC for most other genres mainly rock/metal and susvara pairs much better with HM1 imo.
Thanks for the comparisons. How does the HM1 compare to the WA-33 Elite?

Mar 3, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #769 of 1,480
Yes compared both, they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum to each other. The HM1 has crazy technicalities with amazing slam/transient response and Imaging. It drives susvara absolutely effortlessly. The Red october has a huge open sound to it, insane midrange, very rich sounding, soft sounding but extremely smooth. Transients are pretty blunted, imaging is nowhere near as precise as the Hm1 but the red october is the most musical amp I've ever heard.

I favour HM1 and 1266TC for electronic music. Red october and 1266TC for most other genres mainly rock/metal and susvara pairs much better with HM1 imo.

Rare comparisons, and insightful. Really appreciate it!

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #770 of 1,480
Fair enough, in terms of FR the highs are a bit darker, yes. But never had I heard anyone think the image was narrow particularly when the measured crosstalk is high, it's quite the opposite in my experience.

I've extensively A/B'd the AMP-23R against the Mojo 2 direct and there is no loss, specifically talking about resolution. The amp follows the input signal to a T, in fact I would say it adds more emphasis on the nuances of the signal compared to just the Mojo 2 so you could say its colored by that definition. I think the better description is the Oor or HM1 would be more neutral.
I can sort of emulate the AMP-23r with the HM1 processing. To do it I turn off the negative feedback with Class A mode, set treble at -2, bass at -1, and stereo image at -1 or -2. I have to actively reduce the stereo width to get that sound, but there is still significantly less coloration.

I don't know what your reference points are, but the Enleum had actually the narrowest stereo image of any SS amp I have used, but in line with tubes. Very high crosstalk, very center and vocal oriented sound that was getting into the realm of vinyl stereo imaging. You can test this: put on the headphones and remove the left of right input cable from the Enleum. The remaining sound won't be hard left or right, but around 9:00 or 3:00.

FWIW, coming originally from pro audio I find that most consumer SS amps have some reduced stereo separation because apparently the market wants it. This has been a great frustration for me, but no more with the HM1.

I don't know if it is the DAC, but I use an extremely resolving one and lots of high res and DSD files. I'd put the AMP-23r limitation at about CD quality with a good DAC, but it does not scale beyond that. I'm really trying not to knock it too much because I found it very musical and pleasant, but these were very concrete reasons why I sent it back.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #771 of 1,480
I can sort of emulate the AMP-23r with the HM1 processing. To do it I turn off the negative feedback with Class A mode, set treble at -2, bass at -1, and stereo image at -1 or -2. I have to actively reduce the stereo width to get that sound, but there is still significantly less coloration.

I don't know what your reference points are, but the Enleum had actually the narrowest stereo image of any SS amp I have used, but in line with tubes. Very high crosstalk, very center and vocal oriented sound that was getting into the realm of vinyl stereo imaging. FWIW, coming originally from pro audio I find that most consumer SS amps have some reduced stereo separation because apparently the market wants it. This has been a great frustration for me, but no more with the HM1.

I don't know if it is the DAC, but I use an extremely resolving one and lots of high res and DSD files. I'd put the AMP-23r limitation at about CD quality with a good DAC, but it does not scale beyond that. I'm really trying not to knock it too much because I found it very musical and pleasant, but these were very concrete reasons why I sent it back.
One of the reasons I was so interested in the HM1 is the pure class A and potentially getting some of the tone I really loved about the Enleum when desired. The 23r is still one of my favorite pairings with the Susvara and 1266 TC.

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #772 of 1,480
One of the reasons I was so interested in the HM1 is the pure class A and potentially getting some of the tone I really loved about the Enleum when desired. The 23r is still one of my favorite pairings with the Susvara and 1266 TC.
I really like the Enleum with Diana TC, and it probably was a better fit than the HM1 in my system for that headphone.

You can definitely emulate the major characteristics of the Enleum with the HM1 surprisingly well, but the harmonics, saturated tone color, and bounce/glide of the bass and midrange do belong pretty exclusively to the Amp-23r. The HM1 just can't get that loose and dirty.

This is actually something I've been meaning to post about, the ability of the HM1 to emulate other amps with these controls. It's pretty impressive. I'd say the typical class A SS amp can be achieved by using Class A mode and -1 on the stereo control, and in some cases -1 on the treble. But the stereo control and tone controls are a bit interactive: increasing width makes it brighter, and decreasing width makes it darker. Often times I don't need to use EQ and stereo processing at the same time.

You can also get a little more sag, relaxed sound, and black background by lowering the voltage to 110v.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #773 of 1,480
Should add that, like Red October, Nautilus is less precise and more curated tube sound. Sound is a bit more liquid and smooth with slight detail and accuracy sacrificed for a richer, more holographic listen. I tend to go for planars on HM1 and can't get enough of ZMF cans on Nautilus.
Red October $13,000, Nautilus $10,500, HM1 $8000.
I am alarmed by the recent trend of rapid rise in amp prices in the last few years, as well as headphones that cost >$6000.
We should not encourage this trend.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #774 of 1,480
I am alarmed by the recent trend of rapid rise in amp prices in the last few years, as well as headphones that cost >$6000.
No need to be alarmed. You aren’t required to purchase any of these luxury, non-essential products.

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #775 of 1,480
Please tell Leica the same thing. Their bodies are climbing the Pyrenees and their glass is atop Matterhorn. I’d love for them to stop charging what they do.

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #777 of 1,480
Please tell Leica the same thing. Their bodies are climbing the Pyrenees and their glass is atop Matterhorn. I’d love for them to stop charging what they do.
Leica is a status symbol - you get a lot of attention when you take it out. People pay through the roof for status symbols.

I suppose HM1 and Nautilus are like status symbols on Headfi. :face_palm:

For $8k I would expect the amp to be milled from a solid block of aircraft grade aluminum with heatsink fins milled from that solid piece (see Jeff Rowland's amp) as opposed to just putting some 1/8in panels/fins. In any case, I am still waiting for the internal shots whenever those are available.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #778 of 1,480
This is helpful. Without seeing the actual circuit, it's clear the company knows what they are doing with power supply. Can we assume there will be 2 modules per amp?
I am sure you are aware that unlike "audiophiles" gear, pro gear makers will not think twice before using opamp in their circuit. I don't mind opamp from a technical perspective but I do have problem of designer using opamp in the active circuit in a 2 channel product that's selling for $8k. Call it bias or whatever.
This looks like dual circuits on the single pcb, two rectifiers at the input..

Mar 4, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #779 of 1,480
For $8k I would expect the amp to be milled from a solid block of aircraft grade aluminum with heatsink fins milled from that solid piece (see Jeff Rowland's amp) as opposed to just putting some 1/8in panels/fins. In any case, I am still waiting for the internal shots whenever those are available.
I’m curious, what about getting the internal shots is so important? Do you have internal shots of everything you own? This isn’t me being cynical I am genuinely interested to learn what conclusions you would draw based on whether internal shots are up to par with your expectations or not.

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #780 of 1,480
I’m curious, what about getting the internal shots is so important? Do you have internal shots of everything you own? This isn’t me being cynical I am genuinely interested to learn what conclusions you would draw based on whether internal shots are up to par with your expectations or not.
Yes I do. As a former EE I like my circuits designed and build a certain way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back