Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 6, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #811 of 1,480
Looked up the Corvette Z06 after seeing the heaps of praise in some previous comments. It does seem to be a top tier car, beyond the skills of any amateur track driver. But calling it superior to usual suspects seems very biased.

Coming back to the Zahl, I am very curious to finally get my hands on it.

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #812 of 1,480
I finally got my C8 convertible, $99k (plus 7k for winter wheels and tires). The matching porsche was $230k. I have driven both extensively. The C8 is an infinitely better car with mag ride and eLSD differential. No comparison. porsche has a slightly nicer interior and better leather. There is no replacement for displacement.

Counting down the days till the summer tires go on.
I am jealous. Please be safe!

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #814 of 1,480
When you've got a Porsche 992 GT3, a flat 6 4.0L naturally aspirated pulling 6:55min on the Nurburgring, and not even with a high power:weight ratio, you know Porsche / Germans aren't here to f around. Ain't no Corvette pulling those figures.

Kinda like the HM1.

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #815 of 1,480
I finally got my C8 convertible, $99k (plus 7k for winter wheels and tires). The matching porsche was $230k. I have driven both extensively. The C8 is an infinitely better car with mag ride and eLSD differential. No comparison. porsche has a slightly nicer interior and better leather. There is no replacement for displacement.

Counting down the days till the summer tires go on.
Congrats. I had a c7z. Love vettes. Was one of the best bang for the buck in the past but not anymore.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #817 of 1,480

very interesting take. Made me even more excited. I like his focus on electronic music in some of the comments, like if he’s reviewing it for me personally lol
I wrote here a few days ago thread that everything I read about the HM1 and my time with it at Canjam make me think it’s the ideal electronic music amp and he seems to agree. That fits perfectly with why I wanted one and helps me think about what to have around it too so I get all my music listening satisfied.

How are you liking your D8KP LE?

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #818 of 1,480
I love it, It's just a bit frustrating atm. Waited for a couple of weeks to get them, got a demo version that was not supposed to be sold. Sending them back tomorrow and waiting on a new pair. Even sadder is that I was away this weekend so I barely put 3-4 hours on them after all this wait.
I'm also waiting a on Stealth and they should both get here around the same time.

I like it a lot more than I did Susvara. It's not even close. It's what I always expected Sus to be, but never found it to. 4 home demos later. I found it to have even slightly higher resolution. Soundstage not quite as cavernous as Susvara could be, but not far behind. A step above Elites in separation, soundstage, and imaging. They seem a bit like a closed back in comparison. Oddly enough, the Elites leak less sound, but seem to block less of the environment. So that's weird. It must be the Final's pads.
The Elites are overall not that far behind the LE, and do make up for the technicalities with a pleasant coloration. Love female vocals on them. The LE's seem pretty neutral, they remind me more of LCD-5 (short home demo, not my cup of tea either) in their presentation, but with an actual soundstage.
There's nothing else out there i'd want to replace them with.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #819 of 1,480
Listening to this, you can literally feel individual soundwaves after the cymbal hit. Absolutely nuts. Elites were pretty tactile compared to Susvara (not like Utopia, but still), this is just mind blowing. I've never heard this kind of super low level detail with the Sus, much less feel it.
And this is with the Oor, I think the HM1 might give me a concussion.

1678213264333.png

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #820 of 1,480
Listening to this, you can literally feel individual soundwaves after the cymbal hit. Absolutely nuts. Elites were pretty tactile compared to Susvara (not like Utopia, but still), this is just mind blowing. I've never heard this kind of super low level detail with the Sus, much less feel it.
And this is with the Oor, I think the HM1 might give me a concussion.

1678213264333.png
Agreed about d8kproLE

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #822 of 1,480
If Zahl ever gets bored and has nothing to work on, I wouldn't mind a stand alone preamp that offers more inputs, outputs, mixing options, eq & base control. Essentially the HM1 without the amplification aspect. Doubt it makes financial sense but one can hope.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #823 of 1,480
If Zahl ever gets bored and has nothing to work on, I wouldn't mind a stand alone preamp that offers more inputs, outputs, mixing options, eq & base control. Essentially the HM1 without the amplification aspect. Doubt it makes financial sense but one can hope.
Its not profitable to make gear for minorities. Some manufacturers unfortunately focuse too much on minorities, add useless features for majority which raise the prices for majority.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #824 of 1,480
Its not profitable to make gear for minorities. Some manufacturers unfortunately focuse too much on minorities, add useless features for majority which raise the prices for majority.
you mean like an $8k headphone amp that is self regulated to 50 a year? Its existence is clearly an act of passion.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #825 of 1,480
I also think "hand-build" is a total waste of time and money and adds unnecessary complexity and costs to the final product, unless the circuit comprises solely point to point wirings, in which case I understand the need to hand build. For all the rest of the PCB work, there are smaller OEMs in the EU and US that can get the work done with higher consistency and quality and at a much more reasonable price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back