Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 27, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #841 of 1,480
Does anyone know the power output in volt and watt @60 ohm for the Zahl?
This is all I saw in manual. You can probably calculate from here.

Output Power per Side

RMS: 4W@30Ω / 7W@15Ω

Peak: 7.6W@30Ω / 11W@15Ω / 12W@10Ω (18W for 1.5ms)

Zahl HM1 Manual link

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #846 of 1,480
Well ymmv. Mine was scheduled for “early march” and when i reached out Chris told me end of May, but he didn’t sound too confident so i’m not holding my breath
It might very well be that Europe has a different timeline than North America. We will all eventually get it and that's what's important.

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #847 of 1,480
Is anyone using the HM1 with Utopia 22? Curious how it holds up to the flagship planars. Also curious if there is a way to bypass the internal pre? And if it would still allow the various adjustments (afaik they also apply when using it as a pre, so I assume that bypassing it would also bypass them). I expect it to be very good, but I just recently switched the Oor in bypass mode, and the difference it makes when using the Rossini pre is just...shocking.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #848 of 1,480
Is anyone using the HM1 with Utopia 22? Curious how it holds up to the flagship planars. Also curious if there is a way to bypass the internal pre? And if it would still allow the various adjustments (afaik they also apply when using it as a pre, so I assume that bypassing it would also bypass them). I expect it to be very good, but I just recently switched the Oor in bypass mode, and the difference it makes when using the Rossini pre is just...shocking.
The oor I think is known to be better as a poweramp (I used it that way a long time ago but mostly because I didn't want to have two volume pots) but afaik you can't do that with the HM1. Perhaps a certain volume is considered unity gain though.

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #849 of 1,480
The oor I think is known to be better as a poweramp (I used it that way a long time ago but mostly because I didn't want to have two volume pots) but afaik you can't do that with the HM1. Perhaps a certain volume is considered unity gain though.
With no additional gain on the input the pre out at full volume is unity gain afaik and +6db on the headphone outputs. @GoldenOne might be able to confirm.

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #853 of 1,480
For $7000 it better be more than 10% better than a $3000 CFA-3…
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zähl-hm1-reference-headphone-amplifier.963530/post-17151176
I think it's 8000 :p. There's also the features. I like your Stealth so much that I'm getting rid of all my other headphones. They kind of walk all over the D8k LE and Elite in resolution, separation and microdetail in my system. They sound like speakers in a room full of windows in comparison. More so the D8k Pro LE for some reason.
Only things I'm slightly missing is a bit more slam and a slightly wider soundstage, both of which I'm sure the HM1 will provide. Can't get it anywhere else so there's that.

Apr 13, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #854 of 1,480
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zähl-hm1-reference-headphone-amplifier.963530/post-17151176
I think it's 8000 :p. There's also the features. I like your Stealth so much that I'm getting rid of all my other headphones. They kind of walk all over the D8k LE and Elite in resolution, separation and microdetail in my system. They sound like speakers in a room full of windows in comparison. More so the D8k Pro LE for some reason.
Only things I'm slightly missing is a bit more slam and a slightly wider soundstage, both of which I'm sure the HM1 will provide. Can't get it anywhere else so there's that.
To each their own...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back