Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 22, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #511 of 1,485
I have had my HM1 for a couple weeks, using it daily, and Today it decided to blow a fuse, not sure why. I just turned it on and the fuse blew, the good thing is that the box came with 4 spare fuses, I replaced the fuse and it's working again. Hopefully this is not a common occurence of having to change fuses every few weeks.

Jan 22, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #512 of 1,485
I have had my HM1 for a couple weeks, using it daily, and Today it decided to blow a fuse, not sure why. I just turned it on and the fuse blew, the good thing is that the box came with 4 spare fuses, I replaced the fuse and it's working again. Hopefully this is not a common occurence of having to change fuses every few weeks.
You need some of those synergistic fuses:p

Jan 22, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #513 of 1,485
Jan 22, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #514 of 1,485
Not a good look. If it does it again you need to send it back for inspection. Blowing a fuse is a symptom of something wrong with the amp.

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #515 of 1,485
Blowing a fuse is a symptom of something wrong with the amp.

It can also be a result of an overly conservatively rated fuse.

Both the early versions of the HSA-1b and, I believe, the BHSE encountered this. RAAL changed the fuse specification (increasing its rating slightly, without changing the amp). Not sure if the rating on the BHSE was ever changed, but it was, apparently, about a 1 in 200 cycle thing.

Given that the HM1 comes with extra fuses, I would tend to think it's an overly conservatively rated fuse ... which is safer, if potentially more annoying, than over-rating. If the under-rate only applies in specific circumstances, you're safer overall running that way.

But, yes, it's not a "good look".

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #516 of 1,485
I've mine for a month and put Audio Magic M1 fuses in there. It sounds great and not a single problem, nor was there with the stock fuses.

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #517 of 1,485
I hope you use a power conditioner. Some countries have spikes in voltage. Check your outlet on wall. Do you use some kinda cheap aliexpress power cable?

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #518 of 1,485
🐇🍻🧧🎉 Happy Chinese New Year to all our Far Eastern Brothers & Sisters of HeadFi. May we all 'Rabbit' on about our HiFi wonders and woes for a Prosperous New Year.
Gong Hei Fat Choy! 🐇🍻🧧🎉

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #519 of 1,485
I would send it back to get checked out. Fuses should never blow under normal operation.

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #520 of 1,485
I would send it back to get checked out. Fuses should never blow under normal operation.

Why are yall assuming something is wrong with his amp and not his power? I've litteraly never blown a fuse and had it be an equiptment problem. They should mmeasure/monitor their power first before rmaing when nothing may even be wrong.

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #521 of 1,485
Why are yall assuming something is wrong with his amp and not his power? I've litteraly never blown a fuse and had it be an equiptment problem. They should mmeasure/monitor their power first before rmaing when nothing may even be wrong.
:point_up_2: Rule number one of troubleshooting

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #522 of 1,485
It just blew another fuse, and as far as I know my power has no issues, none of my other equipment seems to be affected and it's connected to a power conditioner (Panamax M5300-PM). The power conditioner reports 120V which is normal in the US and I'm using a Pangea power cable.

The fuse blew instantly after I pressed the power button, so... there might be something bad with my unit. If the fuse blows again, I'll try with a different power cable, in case that's the issue.

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #523 of 1,485
It just blew another fuse, and as far as I know my power has no issues, none of my other equipment seems to be affected and it's connected to a power conditioner (Panamax M5300-PM). The power conditioner reports 120V which is normal in the US and I'm using a Pangea power cable.

The fuse blew instantly after I pressed the power button, so... there might be something bad with my unit. If the fuse blows again, I'll try with a different power cable, in case that's the issue.
If you haven't, I'd recommend setting the HM1 PSU to 110v if you are North America and check the power connector.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #525 of 1,485
I'm not going to pretend to be an electrical expert, but you are blowing fuses, and the layout on the HM1 PSU suggests that the default settings are 230v for Europe (that's how mine was shipped) and 110v for USA/Canada. I've been running mine at 110v with no problem.

At the very least lowering the voltage can help you troubleshoot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back