Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #541 of 1,493
Oh please. You are in the same chat and engaged with him and now you don't know?

No transparency from this community.

I don't spend my entire life taking notes of when crap happens in chat, no. Hell, if you are in there you should be well aware I basicaly only post while drunk. It's to the point that @Danmellinger constantly gives me crap for drunk hot takes when I call sus crap even. Tbh if you care that much about responce time, why not just post what it was yourself if you are in the same chat that should give me insider info?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #542 of 1,493
So true. Booz and pot (wherever legal) go hand in hand with great music.

I would think most here post while listening to music. Naturally we should all assume one another to be drunk or high or both :beerchug:

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #543 of 1,493
So true. Booz and pot (wherever legal) go hand in hand with great music.

I would think most here post while listening to music. Naturally we should all assume one another to be drunk or high or both :beerchug:
As sad as it may be, unfortunately my main system is at work so I will never truly experience its peak :cry:

I am quite good at posting controversial takes online while I lay in bed though.

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #544 of 1,493
You do realize that "wats of output" alone is useless, right? It's kinda like saying "it's doing 10,000mhp" without specifying a reference frame. Hm1 is a seriously powerful amp (significantly more so than most dedicated HP amps), they just report poerr output at super low distortion levels and hit voltage maxes well below current maxes making the number "low"

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #545 of 1,493
Finally got my HM1 back :) So far, it sounds absolutely amazing with the DCA Stealth and I haven't even played with the bass, treble and stereo width settings yet. I think I'm leaning a bit towards Class A + Servo mode, but it's hard to decide between the two modes. I guess it depends on the song. Looking forward to trying the D8000 Pro LE with it as well. Once I get a good feel for the sound, I'll then use it as a pre-amp into the Nautilus and see how that changes up the sound.

20230124_231646.jpg
20230124_232847.jpg

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #546 of 1,493
Finally got my HM1 back :) So far, it sounds absolutely amazing with the DCA Stealth and I haven't even played with the bass, treble and stereo width settings yet. I think I'm leaning a bit towards Class A + Servo mode, but it's hard to decide between the two modes. I guess it depends on the song. Looking forward to trying the D8000 Pro LE with it as well. Once I get a good feel for the sound, I'll then use it as a pre-amp into the Nautilus and see how that changes up the sound.

Quick question, would you not use the Nautilus into the HM1 with the Nautilus being the preamp? Might have been semantics and if so I apologize for the question.

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #549 of 1,493
Jan 25, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #551 of 1,493
oh, if they can be turned off, that's great.
Sorry let me rephrase that. When the HM1 is turned on, you cannot dim or turn the lights off at all.

At least 3 of the buttons will be lit up: the white power button on the left, the zahl orange logo and either of the channel A/B white lights on the right.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #552 of 1,493
So far, this is hands down the best solid state amplifier I've ever listened to. Maybe it's psychoacoustics, but I've never heard the Stealth sound so good on an amplifier (other than the Nautilus). However, I know for a fact I'm not the only one who has said this about the HM1. From what I can tell, Class A + Servo mode is the way to go for both the Stealth and D8KP LE. Class A is more forward to my ears, but Servo mode has an almost tube-like quality to it in terms of laying back a bit and opening the sound up.

The EQ knobs do a great job of subtly fine-tuning the sound without going overkill. For the Stealth, I like maxing out the bass EQ and set the treble to +1. For the D8KP LE, I keep bass maxed out, but I reduce the treble to -1 because on some tracks I find it a little sibilant.

As @GoldenOne mentioned in his review and earlier in this thread, the soundstage knob at +1 is the perfect setting for the majority of songs. It really creates a grand sense of space with the music. You really feel enveloped by the sound. Even with closed backs, putting the soundstage knob at +1 gives them an almost open-back quality in terms of expansiveness. At +2, I feel it's too much and makes things sound a bit strange.

The HM1 alone really brings out the best of any headphone you throw at it, which is an impressive achievement. However, when combined with a tube amp, it brings the listening experience to a whole new level. The great part about the HM1 is that the EQ and stereo width effects carry through the line outs. By setting the soundstage knob to +1 and then bringing that sound over to the tube amp, it just absolutely blew me away. The tubes add that extra bit of naturalness and airiness that makes you feel you're really there in the studio with the artists. It is INSANE how well this amp pairs with a good tube amp, especially with the EQ and width effects.

To be honest, I secretly hoped that the HM1 was so good, that perhaps I wouldn't need a tube amp. However, the combination of the two leads to such an addictive sound, that quite frankly, I don't think I can give that up.

For those still waiting for the next batch, it's worth the wait.

Jan 25, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #553 of 1,493
Jan 25, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #554 of 1,493
So far, this is hands down the best solid state amplifier I've ever listened to. Maybe it's psychoacoustics, but I've never heard the Stealth sound so good on an amplifier (other than the Nautilus). However, I know for a fact I'm not the only one who has said this about the HM1. From what I can tell, Class A + Servo mode is the way to go for both the Stealth and D8KP LE. Class A is more forward to my ears, but Servo mode has an almost tube-like quality to it in terms of laying back a bit and opening the sound up.

To be honest, I secretly hoped that the HM1 was so good, that perhaps I wouldn't need a tube amp. However, the combination of the two leads to such an addictive sound, that quite frankly, I don't think I can give that up.

For those still waiting for the next batch, it's worth the wait.
Awesome stuff. I too can attest to how incredible the Stealth pairs with the HM1. The Woo Audio WA23 Luna also does a fantastic job with them. I suspect the HM1 is the more technical, and the WA23 Luna perhaps the more "musical". This remains to be seen as I've upgraded the tubes in the Luna which has improved its technicalities further, but it is the combination of the two that am looking forward to.

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #555 of 1,493
Awesome stuff. I too can attest to how incredible the Stealth pairs with the HM1. The Woo Audio WA23 Luna also does a fantastic job with them. I suspect the HM1 is the more technical, and the WA23 Luna perhaps the more "musical". This remains to be seen as I've upgraded the tubes in the Luna which has improved its technicalities further, but it is the combination of the two that am looking forward to.

I definitely want to hear your impressions when you get a chance to pair the HM1 with the WA23! The Luna is something I've had my eyes on since Canjam SoCal. Hopefully will try it more at Canjam NYC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back