Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 20, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #481 of 1,480
Tbf, there isn't much opportunity to audition either of these
I would prefer to not get f'k by the manufacturers. If we all insist hearing first before we buy I am sure businesses can figure out how to make that happen.

Edit: In that regard, home auditioning is by far the very best way to buy gear, IRL audiophile friends or clubs are also fantastic, next best would be local dealers, the next alternative is CanJam, which I find it to be an invaluable resource and then it's the general audio expo (e.g., AXPONA). There is no reason why anyone should spend $1k+ on gear without hearing it first.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #485 of 1,480
Well imo ordering it and trying it at home when it comes is the only real way to audition it and that's my plan exactly.
Can you return it for 100% refund if you don't like it?

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #486 of 1,480
I would prefer to not get f'k by the manufacturers. If we all insist hearing first before we buy I am sure businesses can figure out how to make that happen.

Edit: In that regard, home auditioning is by far the very best way to buy gear, IRL audiophile friends or clubs are also fantastic, next best would be local dealers, the next alternative is CanJam, which I find it to be an invaluable resource and then it's the general audio expo (e.g., AXPONA). There is no reason why anyone should spend $1k+ on gear without hearing it first.
TBH in this particular case, I think you'd be able to resell the HM1 for the same retail price, if not very very close to it due to the demand and long wait time. Obv it won't be the case with every product.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #488 of 1,480

This is only something tenable to support world wide for the very largest manufacturers though. While I agree that would be ideal, lots of smaller shops just legit can't afford that overhead

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #489 of 1,480
A couple of things ...

First ...

I'm generally open to letting those interested in the HM1 (etc.) listen to mine. I've done it with other hard-to-get-your-ears-on gear, though it was easier when I was in Seattle. But, if you're in FL, especially Southern Miami/Biscayne Bay areas, or you're passing suitably close by/through, I'm open having people come by and audition my unit*. The biggest challenge there is usually scheduling, as I travel a lot (and often at very short notice).

Just bear in mind I'm not open to re-arranging my system to do it, so you'd have to listen using whatever sources I had setup at the time. Right now that's the latest Linn Klimax DSM (Organik), Chord DAVE (fed by Blu-MKII as an M-Scaler), and a handful of other TOTL DACs. Headphone wise, I have a bunch of flagship models, but you're welcome to bring your own.

Second ...

I ordered my HM1 blind - with just some early feedback on the prototype to go on. I figured if it wasn't for me, its limited availability would make it easy to sell with no loss. As it happens, I've had several unsolicited above-MSRP offers for mine since I received it (no, I'm not selling). So the risk of a blind-buy is mitigated somewhat there.

---
*I used to do this via mini-meets that I hosted, but for the last 2-years(ish) people have been too non-comittal/flakey to make it worth my time/effort.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #490 of 1,480
Jumping from one FOTM to another all without any audition. :face_palm:
Just to be clear, the main reason for cancelling my Zahl HM1 order is NOT 'Z Reviews' vid but my frustration at having to pay a 50% deposit without any estimate when I could take delivery. Where I am in the UK there is also the issue of credit going beyond 120 days when it is no longer possible to reclaim any monies paid should, for example, the retailer go bust. I'm pretty sure I would had to wait longer than 120 days from payment of initial deposit. The cost of the Zahl is not an issue for me but in comparison to the Bliss, the latter seems to be the better value proposition and is readily available by comparison. There's always something better round the corner and I suspect in a year or two time there will be HM1's appearing on the used market. This has to be a consideration for anyone placing an order with a very long delivery timescale, i.e. by the time you receive, there's a new kid on the block. So I don't understand this reference to FOTM, that's just plain wrong!

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #491 of 1,480
Just to be clear, the main reason for cancelling my Zahl HM1 order is NOT 'Z Reviews' vid but my frustration at having to pay a 50% deposit without any estimate when I could take delivery. Where I am in the UK there is also the issue of credit going beyond 120 days when it is no longer possible to reclaim any monies paid should, for example, the retailer go bust. I'm pretty sure I would had to wait longer than 120 days from payment of initial deposit. The cost of the Zahl is not an issue for me but in comparison to the Bliss, the latter seems to be the better value proposition and is readily available by comparison. There's always something better round the corner and I suspect in a year or two time there will be HM1's appearing on the used market. This has to be a consideration for anyone placing an order with a very long delivery timescale, i.e. by the time you receive, there's a new kid on the block. So I don't understand this reference to FOTM, that's just plain wrong!

This is a way more reasonable take than what I got out of your first post. The massive delay with no real exact shipping date (did that with aic once before) is what kept me from buying as well

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #492 of 1,480
Jumping from one FOTM to another all without any audition. :face_palm:

Tbf, there isn't much opportunity to audition either of these
Welcome to the head-fi status quo (or, at least, for the most part) :)

510842834-ronald-reagan-president-status-quo-you-know-is-latin-for-the-mess-were.jpg

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #493 of 1,480
Just to be clear, the main reason for cancelling my Zahl HM1 order is NOT 'Z Reviews' vid but my frustration at having to pay a 50% deposit without any estimate when I could take delivery.
Sounds like the problem is not placing the order directly with Zaehl.
There's always something better round the corner and I suspect in a year or two time there will be HM1's appearing on the used market. This has to be a consideration for anyone placing an order with a very long delivery timescale, i.e. by the time you receive, there's a new kid on the block. So I don't understand this reference to FOTM, that's just plain wrong!
That's true with anything, but less so with fully analogue components.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #494 of 1,480
6 months wait, multiple delays and issues but my HM1 is finally here, number 47/50 🫡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back