Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier
Jan 17, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #451 of 1,474
Why pre the Z10E and not directly from your DAC? For the eq and stage?
I use the HM-1 as a source mixer and tone controls into the Z10e. Soundstage and low pass +1 is spectacular on some tracks.

Jan 17, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #452 of 1,474
The only thing that might make more sense to me than the HM1 would be the Z10E (Now THAT seems like good value) + X9000, but people aren't that crazy about its performance from what i've read. The only problem? Good luck buying it in Europe with customs and all that.
There's easily a market for the HM1 in the pro market, plus audiophiles going for Susvara, Stealth, Utopia , etc can just get one amp and forget about mixing and matching and flavour of the month.

You've heard wrong. The Z10e is superb.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #453 of 1,474
Jan 17, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #455 of 1,474
Well, let’s not jump to conclusion here. Which other electrostatic amps have you compared z10 with?

3es, 3es elite, bhse, the new like 2k woo one (forget what it's called), Wes gen 2, srm-007tii and a slew of amps (such as aic-10, CFA3, and Cavalli LC) into transformer boxes (modded srd-7 and iesl) on he60, x9k, 009s, CRBN, and Shang Sr.

3es elite beats it at a technical level but I find the amp boring. Z10e seems similar technically to aic -> iesl and 3es (normal). It's a very big step above everything else listed imo

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #456 of 1,474
I use the HM-1 as a source mixer and tone controls into the Z10e. Soundstage and low pass +1 is spectacular on some tracks.
I heard a lot of good thing of HM1 as a toning amp. Maybe it’s not the most powerful one in terms of output power. But I’m planning get an amp purely for my sus and caldera. Is it still a good buy or actually half of its price I can also get a bliss or ahb2.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #457 of 1,474
I heard a lot of good thing of HM1 as a toning amp. Maybe it’s not the most powerful one in terms of output power. But I’m planning get an amp purely for my sus and caldera. Is it still a good buy or actually half of its price I can also get a bliss or ahb2.
Money no object, HM1. Jokes aside. Happy for you to bring your Caldera and give it a spin.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #458 of 1,474
Money no object, HM1. Jokes aside. Happy for you to bring your Caldera and give it a spin.
Well just thinking which would be a good pick. anyway people say Hm1 can tune the headphone like mixing it. But I’m not trying my leftover headphone to sound a bit better. Just want my best headphone bring the best they can do…. Which make my brain hurt lol

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #459 of 1,474
Well just thinking which would be a good pick. anyway people say Hm1 can tune the headphone like mixing it. But I’m not trying my leftover headphone to sound a bit better. Just want my best headphone bring the best they can do…. Which make my brain hurt lol
There are many options to get the Susvara to sound amazing and it also depends on the rest of your chain and what you're preferences are. Can't say anything about the Caldera as I haven't heard it.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #460 of 1,474
There are many options to get the Susvara to sound amazing and it also depends on the rest of your chain and what you're preferences are. Can't say anything about the Caldera as I haven't heard it.
Roon to Metrum Ambre / pi2d Mercury v2 to Pasithea.
I have Euforia AE for all my dynamic headphone but didn’t get a good one for planar yet.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #461 of 1,474
Roon to Metrum Ambre / pi2d Mercury v2 to Pasithea.
I have Euforia AE for all my dynamic headphone but didn’t get a good one for planar yet.
Seems like you prefer more warmer analog sounds right? I'd take a look at the Riviera AIC-10 if money's no object.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #462 of 1,474
Seems like you prefer more warmer analog sounds right? I'd take a look at the Riviera AIC-10 if money's no object.
money is always object lol. Just from my point of view have to spend it right…. AIC10 heard about it. But I mean if the price of AIC10 or HM1 give me not far different (regarding price) than like bliss or AHB2 for driving those power hungry planar then I probably should save it up .
AIC10 mid and vocal is its spotlight but other than that hmm…

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #463 of 1,474
@Kamsang what I was trying to say is: you are more than welcome to come and burn in my Bliss if you would like

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #464 of 1,474
money is always object lol. Just from my point of view have to spend it right…. AIC10 heard about it. But I mean if the price of AIC10 or HM1 give me not far different (regarding price) than like bliss or AHB2 for driving those power hungry planar then I probably should save it up .
if the price of the HM1 is worth it for you that's a question only you can answer. Our financial situations and what we are ok spending on gear is very subjective. In these levels it's not going to be night and day difference and you're chasing the last percentage points of quality or features with anything you buy. Best is to listen with your own ears and chain and make a decision based on that. There's no replacement to auditioning at home.

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #465 of 1,474
Is it still a good buy or actually half of its price I can also get a bliss or ahb2.
So, I haven't heard the bliss, but I am personally just not a fan of AHB2 basically at all and seriously don't think its comparable to HM1. IMO you can go lower than HM1 for sus (though I do also think sus really needs something like HM1 to truly shine tbh) but AHB2 would not be my pick.
FWIW, AIC-10 shouldn't be viewed as "mid focused". That single tube changes a lot about the sound and can take it from mid focused (mullard) to quite linear and fast (G73R) but still with a more tubey staging. Ultimately, just tbh, I think HM1 and AIC are fairly in the same vein sound wise. Also, as someone who has ripped off the bandaid that is "sending the money for an AIC" once before, while I have 0 plans to sell my AIC, I dont think it would be as easy of a choice now that HM1 is out. Keep in mind, even a used AIC (when they come up) is more than a brand new HM1 (even post price hike IIRC). Plus, unfortunately, I have not had the two side by side at home to truly determine how they stack up technically, but I can guarantee they are at least similar overall tier. FWIW, if you arent in a rush, a friend of mine with HM1 will be borrowing my AIC fairly soon here and may be able to give better comparisons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back