Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Sep 25, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #556 of 1,064
Quote:
By June then (hopefully)!

The U18 needs software drivers for both PC and Mac, something to take into consideration.

That kind of sucks, because it means no hooking up Androids... sigh....

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #558 of 1,064
Quote:
I'll be looking forward to your review. I am on the fence right now. BTW, will you be hooking it up to the Yulong D18 DAC?

The U18 will be waiting for me when I get back home in about a week.  I am purchasing the external power supply as well.

Yes, I will be hooking it up to the D18 as well as to a Consonance DLinear 8.  I am currently using a Consonance USB to SPDIF converter on the DL8 and a Squeezebox Touch for the D18.  I will compare the U18 against these units. 

I will connect to the DACs via AES EBU and coax and note if there are differences.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #559 of 1,064
Quote:
The U18 will be waiting for me when I get back home in about a week.  I am purchasing the external power supply as well.

Yes, I will be hooking it up to the D18 as well as to a Consonance DLinear 8.  I am currently using a Consonance USB to SPDIF converter on the DL8 and a Squeezebox Touch for the D18.  I will compare the U18 against these units. 

I will connect to the DACs via AES EBU and coax and note if there are differences.

Sounds great! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the external power supply, just in case I might need to get that as well?

Sep 28, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #560 of 1,064
Quote:
Sounds great! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the external power supply, just in case I might need to get that as well?

I ordered the power supply and U18 through Grant Fidelity.  You can see the option for the power supply on the U18 product page.  The power supply is a 3rd party accessory and not directly from Yulong.  It costs an additional 75.00 so I assume it is of decent quality.  I will post on the specs. of the power supply when I look at it.

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #561 of 1,064
Quote:
I ordered the power supply and U18 through Grant Fidelity.  You can see the option for the power supply on the U18 product page.  The power supply is a 3rd party accessory and not directly from Yulong.  It costs an additional 75.00 so I assume it is of decent quality.  I will post on the specs. of the power supply when I look at it.

My bad, I didn't notice that,thank you.

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #562 of 1,064
Quote:

Have you seen a picture of the power supply yet?  I wonder if you can get your own 3rd party power supply to work with the U18?

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #567 of 1,064
Excellent review Project86. Your comments convinced me that this was the DAC for me so I bought one. When it works it is great but...... it has a problem! it only works about half the time you switch it on. Sometimes it lights up and the signal LED lights to show that it is receiving a signal, but no sound! I have tried both optical and AES/EBU inputs with the same results. It is as though it is locked up. Are you aware of this problem and can it be easily fixed?
Thank you for your assistance.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #568 of 1,064
Quote:
Excellent review Project86. Your comments convinced me that this was the DAC for me so I bought one. When it works it is great but...... it has a problem! it only works about half the time you switch it on. Sometimes it lights up and the signal LED lights to show that it is receiving a signal, but no sound! I have tried both optical and AES/EBU inputs with the same results. It is as though it is locked up. Are you aware of this problem and can it be easily fixed?
Thank you for your assistance.

I noticed that the signal light seems to indicate the active line in by connection it does not function as a signal lock indicator. At least that is my take on it. I have the D18 and it never fails to work as intended. Before you assume that it is a fault with the D18 you might want to do some checking of the signal down the line. It is always possible that you were unlucky and got a defective unit. It can happen with any new equipment but from your description it really sounds like you may be losing the signal at the computer side. More information about your system might get you more help here.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #569 of 1,064
Agreed. Not that I want to come across as sounding dismissive or blaming your source. But it really would be wise to try another DVD player, or direcTV box, or anything with a digital out, to see if you can replicate the issue. In my experience when a digital receiver fails it tends to completely stop working rather than work intermittently.

If you confirm with multiple sources, then you know the D18 is to blame and can contact the seller for replacement.

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #570 of 1,064
Iam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back