Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Oct 22, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #586 of 1,064
Quote:
I see, well since all my files is normal mp3 anyway i don't think it matters that most.
One more question, coax = s/pdif right? do i really need usb converter then? will the sound really matter that much?

If you have a digital coax output you don't need a usb interface. The only thing you would gain with a good quality usb interface is lower jitter. Since you are playing mp3 files you will never hear the difference. You really should consider some better source material so that you can hear just how good your D18 really is.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #587 of 1,064
Yeah I'm thinking for it, i haven't get the d18 yet.
Still considering, thinking of going to try it out this weekend.

Chodi, have you heard hd650 with solo srgii? I'm going to pair the d18 with that.
Do you think it'll sound good? 

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #588 of 1,064
Quote:
Yeah I'm thinking for it, i haven't get the d18 yet.
Still considering, thinking of going to try it out this weekend.

Chodi, have you heard hd650 with solo srgii? I'm going to pair the d18 with that.
Do you think it'll sound good? 

I've heard the HD650 with the D18 and it was very good. My personal taste runs more to the HD600, but that's just me. I have never heard the Solo.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #590 of 1,064
You can find XLR to RCA cables for 35 dollars. Other people here use those, they say they are getting the XLR sound. I'm buying the D18 soon, that's how I plan on hooking it up. I think you should get the dac, give it the proper burn in time, and try it out. If you don't like it or love it, let us know why, and send it back to Grant Fidelity. that's what I plan on doing. If the DAC isn't a BIG step up on my "modded" maverick D1 or it doesn't go with my vintage marantz 2250b...back to china, or they great white north...where ever it comes from.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #592 of 1,064
Well...after DAYS of waiting and considering i finally pulled the trigger! Went out for a tedious commute today, with my whole system. Tried the D18, and... bought it! as well as the U18, didn't like how it sounds through the optical output from my mac. The seller, is a yulong authorized dealer. He said it will need 200 hours for burn in. He also threw in a nice silver RCA-RCA cable. So what I think about the D18? It looks great, matches my graham slee solo, and plays nice with the HD650. And yes it sounds musical, detailed, but not too detailed, one way to put it is imagine, you're using the new macbook pro with Retina display, all of a sudden you see everything better. Nothing's wrong with the old one, but Retina Display. I know i have to let it burn first, but that's the 1st impression of 2 hours (give or take)!

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #594 of 1,064
 Is there anybody using this DAC with OTL amps? Anything to say about this pairing?

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #595 of 1,064
Quote:
 Is there anybody using this DAC with OTL amps? Anything to say about this pairing?

Plenty of tube amps, but none of them OTL, sorry. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be a great pair though. Maybe a really dark amp would end up too dark due to the additive properties of both? Aside from that, no problems. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #596 of 1,064
So, after 1 week of using, here's some more impressions.

The D18 really plays well with Graham Slee Solo SRG II. From what I know of the Sabre chip it's detailed, at first i was afraid it was going to be a detail monster, or too bright.
The SRG II is very neutral - warm, and from the local forum opinions, some people say it's boring, and some say it's wonderfully warm.

For me it's very neutral, and medium PRAT, kind of jack of all trades.

Now the combination D18+SRGII...

It sounds really really good, at first i thought it's only better from my audinst mx1 + SRGII.
But after 1 week, it's a whole lot better than that. Emi Fujita never sounds better, and i heard more details but presented in a nice way, like how it's supposed to be, instead of just being "thrown" at you so that you could hear it.
That's what happened with the mx1. Rock is also pretty good, it delivers pretty good speed, i tried it with J-Rock, L'arc en ciel, and Mr.Big sounds really great.

Really didn't regret getting the d18, more impressions next weekend, as by that time every burn in myth should be done already.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #597 of 1,064
Quote:
So, after 1 week of using, here's some more impressions.

The D18 really plays well with Graham Slee Solo SRG II. From what I know of the Sabre chip it's detailed, at first i was afraid it was going to be a detail monster, or too bright.
The SRG II is very neutral - warm, and from the local forum opinions, some people say it's boring, and some say it's wonderfully warm.

For me it's very neutral, and medium PRAT, kind of jack of all trades.

Now the combination D18+SRGII...

It sounds really really good, at first i thought it's only better from my audinst mx1 + SRGII.
But after 1 week, it's a whole lot better than that. Emi Fujita never sounds better, and i heard more details but presented in a nice way, like how it's supposed to be, instead of just being "thrown" at you so that you could hear it.
That's what happened with the mx1. Rock is also pretty good, it delivers pretty good speed, i tried it with J-Rock, L'arc en ciel, and Mr.Big sounds really great.

Really didn't regret getting the d18, more impressions next weekend, as by that time every burn in myth should be done already.

Honestly I heard no difference from the second day forward with my D18. I think the burn in thing has little to no effect on this component. I've had mine for several months and I still have no urge to try anything else. I really can't imagine where I would upgrade from here without getting into stupid money.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #599 of 1,064
Quote:
So, the D18 is here. I have it hooked up, and my volume control on my marantz is not working. Any ideas?

marantz -> d18 -> amp?
this probably won't work

or 
D18 -> marantz?
this should work

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #600 of 1,064
Ok, so I unplugged my subwoofer from the preouts and plugged the d18 in. I soon figured it out and corrected everything. So everything is working fine. My first impressions of the cold, fresh off the truck dac was the seperation of the bass drums and bass guitar. I really wasent sure if I noticed the difference in sound being worth the four hundred extra bucks of my maverick. We've. I went to work the next day, I let the system play and burn in. I have now noticed a better presentation of my music. I'm going to continue to burn in and have listening sessions, and then put maverick back in and then give more impressions then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back