Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Sep 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #542 of 1,064
Quote:
You guys are hardcore! Though I guess it's not a blind purchase judging from the established quality of the prior Yulong models. 

lol! Coming from the King of Head-fi addiction! 
Thanks for the PM too btw.

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #543 of 1,064
[size=medium]I must admit that buying the A8 and D8 under the circumstances is a leap of faith.  
eek.gif
  My bet is calculated based on the fact that Yulong has a legacy of making good products.  From my understanding he is not doing a complete design change here.  It seems as though he is building on the foundation of the A18/D18 for these new models.  Tweaking and improving where he sees potential.  Additionally, if this these are to be his “statement” products, examples of his design skills, showcasing  what he  can create outside the normal constraints of pricing and marketing, I suspect he will want to put out good stuff.   To do otherwise under this premise would be especially detrimental to his reputation.
[/size]

[size=medium]Yulongs entire line of products has, to this point, represented excellent “value’.  I will not be judging the A8/D8 according to this trend.  I expect that these new products will sound wonderful; but, at the same time, I realise that the factor of diminishing returns will definitely kick in on this statement line.  I am not expecting anything more than a refinement on the A18/D18 sound.  To what degree remains to be seen I guess.[/size]

[size=medium]I was itching to buy a balanced amp.   I had been researching all my options and was about to pull the trigger on something else when this opportunity came up.  I certainly admit that buying this combo blind is taking a chance but I believe it is a relatively safe bet that the A8 & D8 will perform at a high level.[/size]

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #544 of 1,064
x2

I have been so impressed with what he can do with the small, relatively simple design (in comparison the ref audio-gd) of the d18/a18 that I sold my flagship balanced audio_gd setup which I loved.
The thought of taking the d8/a8 all the way is enough for me to invest on the spot.

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #545 of 1,064
D8, will it use 2 es9018 like hifiman 901?

i will pay deposit next week too. 

our club member here may already occupy 20 pieces. 

latest news from yulong boss:  my hong kong delivery will be after apr 2013. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #547 of 1,064
Quote:
Waiting until April will be painful.

I couldn't do it, you guys are troopers.

Waiting an extra week+ for the Gungnir is driving me nuts!

I'm sure the results will be great for all of you though.

I thought about it, the prospect of the D8 intrigued me but then I would want an A8 to go with it and I can't justify that.
rolleyes.gif

Plus as I said I couldn't wait that long...

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #548 of 1,064
Quote:
D8, will it use 2 es9018 like hifiman 901?

i will pay deposit next week too. 

our club member here may already occupy 20 pieces. 

latest news from yulong boss:  my hong kong delivery will be after apr 2013. 

Where did you hear about April delivery? Do u have a link? 
I must say April is a bit longer than expected which sux 
frown.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #551 of 1,064
By June then (hopefully)!

The U18 needs software drivers for both PC and Mac, something to take into consideration.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #553 of 1,064
The Vlink 192 is driver-free for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back