Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Sep 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #513 of 1,064
Supposedly not. They were meant to be like concept cars, which demonstrate the capabilities of the maker but don't really end up being directly available. But we will see. I'm tempted to ask about them anyway, but that could get pretty expensive.... And since I already have the D18/A18 combo, it doesn't t make that much sense.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #515 of 1,064
Quote:
Supposedly not. They were meant to be like concept cars, which demonstrate the capabilities of the maker but don't really end up being directly available. But we will see. I'm tempted to ask about them anyway, but that could get pretty expensive.... And since I already have the D18/A18 combo, it doesn't t make that much sense.

IN my uneducated opinion, I think he hasn't gone balance because there is no benefit in his design (I know a lot of people don't believe in balanced gear) unlike some of AudioGD's top end stuff which goes balanced for reasons other then just making money (remember reading it, don't remember the actual reason.)

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #516 of 1,064
I'd be all over the D8 if publicly available.  I would like to see a true 75 ohm BNC option on it though.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #518 of 1,064
It all seems like poor marketing to me, to release a ''top of the line" product then turn around shortly after and say now I have built a better one and then to top it all he says you can't have one.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #519 of 1,064
That's one way of looking at it. I think the idea is to build up a knowledge base - taking the experience from the A100 and D100 units, and build upon that to create the A18 and D18 models. From there they have sort of hit the maximum with the exception of these demo units. If they sell stuff like the A8 and D8, they would need to reevaluate their position in the market, beause they would no longer be the same bang for the buck type of brand any longer.

But I can see how someone might take issue with this approach. Same thing happens with Audio GD, on a regular basis.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #520 of 1,064
You are right I was looking at it from the wrong angle.
If I had just bought a new BMW I would not get all out of joint over the latest concept car, its just an R&D thing.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #521 of 1,064
In terms of balanced dac is this pretty much the only one along with the Schiit offerings in this price range that is ss at this level? I've been looking at balanced dacs and cant really find too many at under 1k that would be worth getting.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #523 of 1,064
I'm using my D18 as the front end in my new Stax system and I can tell you it is a great match with Stax headphones. Really loads of detail and liquid mid-range. I think it scales up very well and now I can use the D18 fully balanced out with the Stax amp. Best compliment I can give any equipment is that I would buy the D18 again if I had it to do over. It is a flat out bargain.

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #524 of 1,064
Here comes the official answer about availability of Yulong A8 Fully Balanced headphone amp, and Yulong D8 Ultra D/A converter: 

I talked with Yulong himself about these models - they are statement models to demonstrate the quality level that Yulong design can offer when cost is not a factor to consider. Right now both A8 and D8 are still in design/engineering stage - D8 is behind A8 on the design schedule. A8 has first run engineering sample units made already but no where near the final version yet. D8 is still at circuit board stage.  Because of high production cost, the retail price on both D8 and A8 models will be well above A18 and D18; but in Yulong's own words "they are priced above the entry level non-Chinese imported DAC models in the Chinese market, however the performance to price ratio is much higher when you compare them to the same quality level (China) imported brands". (FYI, non-Chinese brand name DACs are being sold in China at exactly the same retail price as in North America, so you can tell that affordability of these brands is not as friendly as domestic brands such as Yulong). 

A8 and D8 will be available for worldwide resellers to demonstrate Yulong quality and design strength. They weren't developed for the purpose of reselling for profit. At current stage, each models are available for pre-order but delivery time will be in 2013 (no exact month - Yulong aim for the highest desired quality so there could be delay in delivery date). 

Now comes the most important question - how much? No firm answer from Yulong as with design change, the price will change due to cost changes. But for sure they will be above D18 and A18. Rumor says that A8 (fully balanced headphone amp) will be approx to $1600-1800. D8 price bench mark not disclosed yet - but from D18 / A18 price ratio, I expect D8 will be less than the A8. 

Want one even when Yulong said these are not for public sale? Here is what Grant Fidelity (as official agent for Yulong Audio in North America with worldwide reselling rights) can do for those aiming for nothing less than the best: (this may change due to circumstance changes so check on the Yulong Audio Facebook page for future updates: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yulong-Audio/326982077398065?ref=hl)

See pre-order arrangement at the Head-fi sponsor ad section: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628317/yulong-a8-and-d8-pre-order-invitation-order-by-oct-31st-only

Best, 
Rachel @ Grant Fidelity 

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #525 of 1,064
Quote:
There's the Matrix Quattro DAC, essentially a Benchmark DAC 1 Pre, for $699. It isn't really in the same league as the D18 in terms of SQ, but it has a ton of features. Probably the same story with the DacMagic 2 as well.

It seems there's a void here but understandable void since I would imagine there would be compromises for a balanced dac at this price range. Would you say at this price range the Yulong is the best balanced dac disregarding the signature of the dac? I was looking at the quattro dac but not sure about that as well as the digital link iii from ps audio or of course the new schiit dac but not sure about their dacs yet.

Also the D8 and A8 may be available. I just saws a thread from grant fidelity the north america seller: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628317/yulong-a8-and-d8-pre-order-invitation-order-by-oct-31st-only

Users who are viewing this thread

Back