Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Sep 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #481 of 1,064
Quote:
Yes, the Yulong D18 is fully balanced and so is my Woo Audio WA22.

Congratulations on the new Dac! You have now elevated your electronics to lofty levels and I can hear the Sennheiser salesman waiting outside your door with a new pair of HD800 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #482 of 1,064
Does this require drivers for the asynchronous USB transfer to work from the PC ?

If so are they made by the designer or third party ? Stability issues ?

Edit: Whoops, I looked at the D100, saw both had async and deduced this had to have usb as well :)

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #484 of 1,064
Quote:
Does this require drivers for the asynchronous USB transfer to work from the PC ?

If so are they made by the designer or third party ? Stability issues ?

Edit: Whoops, I looked at the D100, saw both had async and deduced this had to have usb as well :)

If you look back through this thread you will see that the Hiface Two was suggested as a good match with the D18. That is what I use. Of course, there are other usb converters available at higher price points. The D18 was designed without the usb interface to keep the price down and allow you the choice of usb converter if you want or need one.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #485 of 1,064
Hi,

have anyone compare this DAC with Metrum Octave and Centrance DAC Mini CX?

I'm looking for a DAC and come accross this thread, and from what I read, D18 is very promising.
and I would love to know how is it compare to both DAC i mentioned.

my source will be laptop. so, if i buy D18, that's mean i have to buy another USD to SPDIF converter (such as JKSPDIF MK3 or stello u3 or Audiophello2), thats another USD500 just for the converter.

but looking at Metrum Octave or Centrance DAC Mini CX, they have USB input.

what is your opinion? thanks

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #486 of 1,064
Quote:
Hi,

have anyone compare this DAC with Metrum Octave and Centrance DAC Mini CX?

I'm looking for a DAC and come accross this thread, and from what I read, D18 is very promising.
and I would love to know how is it compare to both DAC i mentioned.

my source will be laptop. so, if i buy D18, that's mean i have to buy another USD to SPDIF converter (such as JKSPDIF MK3 or stello u3 or Audiophello2), thats another USD500 just for the converter.

but looking at Metrum Octave or Centrance DAC Mini CX, they have USB input.

what is your opinion? thanks

Octave does not have USB

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #487 of 1,064
Hi Szadzik,

You are right, metrum octave dont have usb.

I dont know why I wrote those.. Haha I was in hurry when posting the previous post, a bit mixed up. Sorry. Thanks for correcting

Yes,
So the question how is it compares
1. "yulong D18 +audiophello2"
2. " metrum octave+audiophello2"
3. "centrance dac mini cx"
I know metrum octave is the most expensive between these 3 dac. And probably adding a bit more $ I can get "wyred 4 sound dac2"

Anyone had any experiences?

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #488 of 1,064
Sorry, I have not heard the Metrum or the DacMini so I can't really comment.

Based on what others have told me the Metrum and the D18 seem to have a roughly similar sound - more musical, not so analytical. But I can't say which one would be superior. The D18 can be purchased from some dealers (like Grant Fidelity if you are in North America) with a 30-day in home trial. But I'm not sure if you have a similar dealer in your area that would offer that. And I'm also not sure if you can find the Metrum Octave under similar circumstances. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #489 of 1,064
Metrum Octave has quite neutral presentation, while D18 is supposedly on the warm side. That I remember from a review someone posted here when trying to use D18 for studio work and Octave I know as I have it.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #490 of 1,064
@project86: In my area, i dont have dealers that carry yulong product in their line, and if i buy yulong, i think i have to order from china or hongkong.
Thanks for your reply.

@Szadzik: thanks for the info.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #491 of 1,064
Received mine very recently.
It's a perfert match with my audiophilleo and squeezebox touch (USB Output and SuperTeddyReg).

Clearly more musical than my previous Buffalo from TwistedPear Audio or AudioGD DAC19

Take the best of them all and you have the D18

Thanks all of you who shared their experience with this diamond

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #492 of 1,064
I'd like to hear more impressions of this product compared to Audio-GD DACs.
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #493 of 1,064
Quote:
Received mine very recently.
It's a perfert match with my audiophilleo and squeezebox touch (USB Output and SuperTeddyReg).

Clearly more musical than my previous Buffalo from TwistedPear Audio or AudioGD DAC19

Take the best of them all and you have the D18

Thanks all of you who shared their experience with this diamondH

How much better is this setup compared to the Touch S/PDIF output connected directly to D18?

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #494 of 1,064
The U18 is out in a week or two. $160usd
I might try it out, see how it mates with the D18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back