Yulong d100 II vs GF Tube DAC-11 vs Audio-GD NFB 10.2 vs Schiit bifrost
Jun 18, 2012 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sstan

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, please help to chose.
I need DAC+amp\combine with asynchronous USB and cant make a decision between several DAC’s:
http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-TubeDAC-11-D-A-Converter.html
  • Audio-GD NFB 10.2 new model with asynchronous  USB 24\192  800$
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB-10.1/NFB10.1EN.htm
  • SCHIIT Bifrost asynchronous  USB 24\192 450$ + amp (darkvoice 336 or X-amp 250$) total 700$

• So, the first I can’t understand number 2 is it with asynchronous USB or not?
  • As you can see, the price are different,  is it worth to pay little bit more or twice more, do I get better sound for such difference?
  • I would like to use dac + stereo amp+acoustics also, as I understand all of this DACs I could connect to the stereo amp?

I understand that no one listen all of this stuff together, but maybe some of them. I would be happy to hear any thoughts or to look to another, not mentioned DAC’s

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 12
A good combo is Schiit plus more Schiit equal = Very Good Schiit. Lol! 

Now for the serious Schiit :D.

Which headphones are you planning to use with these expensive AMPs and DACs? If you have a Asgard or Valhalla most people just go with the Bifrost. The Yulong D100 has been very well received, but IMO I prefer not to go Chinese products. That's the reason I have a Asgard but am selling for the LYR to do the LYR plus Bifrost combo.

Hope this helps,

Thomas Lopez

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
A good combo is Schiit plus more Schiit equal = Very Good Schiit. Lol! 

Now for the serious Schiit :D.

Which headphones are you planning to use with these expensive AMPs and DACs? If you have a Asgard or Valhalla most people just go with the Bifrost. The Yulong D100 has been very well received, but IMO I prefer not to go Chinese products. That's the reason I have a Asgard but am selling for the LYR to do the LYR plus Bifrost combo.

Hope this helps,

Thomas Lopez

[size=11.0pt]Tho[/size][size=11.0pt]mas, thanks for[/size][size=11.0pt] your reply. I have  Sennheiser  hd-598 for now. Just to start. Then I'm planning to try smth. else with new DAC or combo. I am now reading about that schiit )), interesting DAC. But can’t find any comparison  with the DAC’s from the same price level.[/size]

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 12
I only have the TubeDAC 11 out of those, so I can't comment on how it compares to the others sound-wise.  But it is an excellent and highly versatile piece of equipment.  The tube out is a lot of fun, especially when you start swapping out tubes.  The general consensus is, I believe, that when set up right it competes with many much more expensive DACs.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 12
In the exact same situation as OP! Gonna give a free bump to you! I am however mainly interested in the NFB-5, I asked Kingwa and he told me to not bother opting for the 10 if I don't plan on going balanced.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 12
I too am in a similar situation. Currently debating between the bifrost or the yulong d100. I currently have the bottlehead crack with my Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohms. I currently have a gamma 2 under construction, but was wondering if the bifrost would a better upgrade? Was looking at the yulong due to having the option of a solid state amp for future headphones. I would like to hear some thoughts/opinions on which pairing would be better or if it would be worth the upgrade from the gamma 2 once I complete it.

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 12
I too am in a similar situation. Currently debating between the bifrost or the yulong d100. I currently have the bottlehead crack with my Beyerdynamic dt880 600 ohms. I currently have a gamma 2 under construction, but was wondering if the bifrost would a better upgrade? Was looking at the yulong due to having the option of a solid state amp for future headphones. I would like to hear some thoughts/opinions on which pairing would be better or if it would be worth the upgrade from the gamma 2 once I complete it.

I ordered a Bifrost Uber, if you'd like I can leave my impressions here. I should have it in on Friday or Saturday.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 12
I don't have experience with the other dacs but I just received my Yulong D100 mk.  So far so good.  I had to listen through a few songs for about 30min. to understand where the difference was coming from vs the integrated sound card from my pc using Grado PS500 headphones.  It definitely extended the top ends...the highs and lows but more noticeable on the highs...snare drum rolls off smoother unlike before which was harsh, short, and piercing.  Only been 2hr of use so we'll see after proper burn in.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back