YULONG Aurora, small but perfectly formed AIO DAC/Pre/HeadAmp
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #76 of 123
Hey @Andykong what is the gain on this unit with SE and BAL outs ?
Are there any plans developing a cheaper version of this with no MQA and bluetooth ?

While there is not a definite pattern, YULONG will update their product in around 24-month cycles. At the current production capacity/sales volume, removing MQA will reduce the product development involvement, but have very minimal effect on the BOM or production cost, especially if they pick a DAC chipset that has MQA capability built-in.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #77 of 123
Cay you tell us your source and headphones in your audio chain? If the headphone sounds OK and you can't adjust to the desired volume accurately, and you don't feel any compression or lack of dynamic, 20% volume is not really a problem.
Driving a pair of genelec. For monitors the range is more like 10%. Not unusable but definitely feel the pain when switching between headphones and speakers.

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #78 of 123
I just started to use the Aurora as a DAC over USB and as a preamp for a pair of speakers (before I was just using it as an headphone amplifier with an external dac). It is working fine on Windows 11, but there are two things I do not understand:

1) How can I disable the preamp out to listen to headphones only, without powering off the speaker themselves? At present, headphone outs and preamp outs are always simultaneously active.
2) How can I enable ASIO? Aurora is supposed to be asio compatible, but from its own control panel ASIO appears to be disabled.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #79 of 123
Can someone please tell me if I could use this only as a AMP if I want to ?

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #81 of 123
Yes it has rca line in
So, theoretically if in the future I decide to upgrade to, let's say, an Ares II, I could just connect the Ares XLR (or should I use RCA?) output to the Aurora RCA input and I would be receiving the sound decoded by the Ares and just amplified by the Aurora, correct?

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #83 of 123
So, theoretically if in the future I decide to upgrade to, let's say, an Ares II, I could just connect the Ares XLR (or should I use RCA?) output to the Aurora RCA input and I would be receiving the sound decoded by the Ares and just amplified by the Aurora, correct?
Correct but you need to use the RCA output of the Ares II.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #84 of 123
If I want to use the ifi iPower X power supply and the USB ifi iPurifier, both of these devices are compatible with the Aurora ?

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #86 of 123
As long as it is rated at 12V/3A then you can use it.

The iFi purifier is compatible.
1681928751310.png

Yeah, I don't think is compatible then.... The ifi iPower X is rated at 12V/2.0A

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #88 of 123
As long as it is rated at 12V/3A then you can use it.

The iFi purifier is compatible.
Hi, I wanted to thank you for your insightful review of the unit. I was considering picking one for myself, have you managed to try the Fiio PL50 with it?

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #89 of 123
Hi, I wanted to thank you for your insightful review of the unit. I was considering picking one for myself, have you managed to try the Fiio PL50 with it?
Thank you for reading.
I haven't tried the PL50 with the Aurora but from testing it with similar equipment, I am definitely sure that is going to add audible benefits.

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #90 of 123
I have my Aurora with the PL50. Honestly, I didn't listen for the differences in an analytical way; broadly speaking, what is most noticeable is a slightly more present high end, but I'm talking of a very slight, barely udible difference. There could be some slight improvement in overall focus and tightness of the sound in all the spectrum as well, but I should do some more listening to be sure.
This slight tonal change in highs is welcome for the Aurora, that has very soft and relaxed highs with the stock PSU. Again, the PL50 do not change the overall timbre and character of the Aurora, we are talking of minute differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back