YULONG Aurora, small but perfectly formed AIO DAC/Pre/HeadAmp
Jul 26, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #61 of 123
Testing ongoing with a variety of different headphones, including the HarmonicDyne G200 planar magnetic set as we speak:

Headphones 32.jpg

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #62 of 123
It's performance is better with high impedance headphones. A reviewer tried Susvara and said he liked the pairing but it didn't drive Susvara to it's full potential.

We can't expect better comments when paring Aurora with Susvara, thank you. :beerchug:

the Aurora was never designed to drive difficult loads such as Susvara to it's full potential. Even with YULONG's flagship DA1, we'll only describe the pairing as "satisfactory", full potential is a big word for Susvara.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 6, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #64 of 123
I just read the review. Thanks, you have made some good valid points. I wish to ask two questions:

1- You mentioned the unit goes up to 3W in Class A and the rest is Class AB. Earlier when I asked how much of the power is Class A @Andykong he replied as:

Are both pre-amp and headphone amp sections are Class A? How much of the power is Class A?

Yes, both pre-amp and headphone amp are based on the same Class A amplification circuit, YULONG has developed a swtiching circuit to optimise the Class-A amplilfication for Pre-amp and headphone output seperately, with the limitation that you can't use them for both at the same time. The AC-DC regen power supply system in Aurora can provide up to 5A transient curren, this will enabled the YULONG Aurora to remain at Class A operation compeltely.

Do you have a different finding?

2- I saw this frequency response graph which was interesting.

frequency-response.jpg

Do you take these measurements yourself?

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #65 of 123
I just read the review. Thanks, you have made some good valid points. I wish to ask two questions:

1- You mentioned the unit goes up to 3W in Class A and the rest is Class AB. Earlier when I asked how much of the power is Class A @Andykong he replied as:

Do you have a different finding?

2- I saw this frequency response graph which was interesting.

frequency-response.jpg

Do you take these measurements yourself?
1) I never went past the Class A limits, if any. The 3 W value is based on what YULONG mentions on the product page, where the 5 A metric is also mentioned:
1662491776576.png

Given there is no clarity on the voltage at that 5 A, I presume the two values (3 W power and 5 A current) are not mutually exclusive. Unfortunately I do not have the means to measure the max output.

2) Yes, I measured it myself using an ADC that I deemed good enough for this but not much else beyond it to meet my standards.

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #66 of 123
1) I never went past the Class A limits, if any. The 3 W value is based on what YULONG mentions on the product page, where the 5 A metric is also mentioned:
1662491776576.png
Given there is no clarity on the voltage at that 5 A, I presume the two values (3 W power and 5 A current) are not mutually exclusive. Unfortunately I do not have the means to measure the max output.

2) Yes, I measured it myself using an ADC that I deemed good enough for this but not much else beyond it to meet my standards.
Thanks for clarifying. I always assumed that 3W print and 4W in the specifications was just a typo on their part. Yours might just be the most thorough review by the way. Also I mentioned on this thread earlier measurements on l7audiolab (https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/yulong-aurora/) suggest that Aurora is actually more powerful than the specifications. (almost 5W at 32 ohms and 900mW at 300 ohms balanced, again almost 2W at 32 ohms and more than 200 mW at 300 ohm single ended)

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #67 of 123

Just to clarify the relationship between 3W power and 5A current.

The headphone amplification circuit is operated in Class A bias and delivers up to 3W per channel Class A output via its headphone output connectors. When you said "combined with the up to 3 W of Class A power (the rest being hybrid Class AB) makes for a more engaging presentation to vocals and instruments if you pay careful attention", maybe this is a natural assumption for standard Class A circuit: when the output device draws more output than the circuit can sustain at Class A operation, the circuit will fall back to Class AB automatically?

The newly developed AC-DC regen power supply system can provide up to 5A transient current. This is the power supply for everything in Aurora, including DAC, LPF, control circuit, and the Class A amplification circuit that works for both preamp and headphone output (not simultaneously).

So yes, they are not mutually exclusive, but they both contribute to the final audio performance.

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #69 of 123
So what is the overall opinion on this matched with araya v3, quad era 1, dt 1990 and iems?
vs hifiman ef400, matrix audio mini i3 pro or amps like singxer sa1 or a90d?
This is what I really wanna know. I have a Singxer Sa-1 that I love. Warm smooth sound and more power than the Aurora. It’s also paired with a Bifrost 2. I wonder how it would hold up to a separate amp and dac?

Sep 28, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #70 of 123
So what is the overall opinion on this matched with araya v3, quad era 1, dt 1990 and iems?
vs hifiman ef400, matrix audio mini i3 pro or amps like singxer sa1 or a90d?
The Aurora is a great match with Arya V3 and differences with EF400 are not that much.
It is more about final shaping of the sound rather anything else.
Both are very musical and engaging, the EF400 might be slightly more organic but the Aurora is more technical and clean while keeping things very natural sounding.
It is really difficult to decide without listening by yourself.
I like them both.
The Aurora is also more silent with IEMs but both units are very powerful and the lack of a gain switch doesn't help either.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #71 of 123
The Aurora is a great match with Arya V3 and differences with EF400 are not that much.
It is more about final shaping of the sound rather anything else.
Both are very musical and engaging, the EF400 might be slightly more organic but the Aurora is more technical and clean while keeping things very natural sounding.
It is really difficult to decide without listening by yourself.
I like them both.
The Aurora is also more silent with IEMs but both units are very powerful and the lack of a gain switch doesn't help either.
Ok cool I’m trying to decide if it’s a good pairing for my Modhouse Argon mk3

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #75 of 123
Get this a few days ago, really impressive amp, but used as dac/preamp the output is a little too much -- I cannot get volume past 20%

Cay you tell us your source and headphones in your audio chain? If the headphone sounds OK and you can't adjust to the desired volume accurately, and you don't feel any compression or lack of dynamic, 20% volume is not really a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back