YULONG Aurora, small but perfectly formed AIO DAC/Pre/HeadAmp
May 7, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #17 of 123
Hi, i was looking for a dac with analog volume control but does it have a remote control?

No remote control, unfortunately. :pray:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 7, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #18 of 123
A few days ago, I was thinking "It is about time we saw some measurements" and here they are. To be honest, I'm very impressed. Although SINAD and SNR values not up to measure-fi standarts, some values are even better than specified in the specs. Here they are

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/yulong-aurora/

Measure-fi? This is new to me, very interesting. I didn't know we have developed a new category already.

Generally speaking, measurement is a snapshot presentation of the engineering achievement. While good engineering should achieve good measurement (so it shouldn't look too bad unless there is a valid reason), there are certain points where when we optimized the circuit for the complete audible frequency range, the measurement at a specific frequency is not at its best condition. For argument's sake, if we optimized that circuit to perform at its best at 1kHz, we can show off better-measured results on several specification items. We have also made another testing firmware that pretty much irons out all the bumps and dips to offer ruler flat measurements, but we discarded that because it didn't sound involving when compared to the current design. We believe listening is still the final check-point and we should not put measurements as the ultimate goal, that's not how it should work when we develop High Fidelity products.

Regarding the output at pre-amp mode, while the maximum output level might be a bit higher than regular pre-amp, the AURORA is pre-amp is designed to work with active speakers instead of an audiophile power amplifier primarily. TBH, I don't think a lot of users will use the Aurora in a pre/power amplifier setup for a passive speakers system, active desktop monitor seems to be a more reasonable assumption for AURORA.

Last edited:

May 7, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #19 of 123
Measure-fi? This is new to me, very interesting. I didn't know we have developed a new category already.

Generally speaking, measurement is a snapshot presentation of the engineering achievement. While good engineering should achieve good measurement (so it shouldn't look too bad unless there is a valid reason), there are certain points where when we optimized the circuit for the complete audible frequency range, the measurement at a specific frequency is not at its best condition. For argument's sake, if we optimized that circuit to perform at its best at 1kHz, we can show off better-measured results on several specification items. We have also made another testing firmware that pretty much irons out all the bumps and dips to offer ruler flat measurements, but we discarded that because it didn't sound involving when compared to the current design. We believe listening is still the final check-point and we should not put measurements as the ultimate goal, that's not how it should work when we develop High Fidelity products.

Regarding the output at pre-amp mode, while the maximum output level might be a bit higher than regular pre-amp, the AURORA is pre-amp is designed to work with active speakers instead of an audiophile power amplifier primarily. TBH, I don't think a lot of users will use the Aurora in a pre/power amplifier setup for a passive speakers system, active desktop monitor seems to be a more reasonable assumption for AURORA.
Haha, and I heard just a few times. Measure-fi is more of an accusation really. I am just a little bit concerned about rise in IMD which is commonly known as ESS hump. Some companies have tackled the issue but, as you said, it may also be just an adjustment to output a good result in measurement tests which are mostly done in certain conditions (1 khz tone, 4v output etc.) and change nothing about the sound of the product.

I don't want to accuse anyone but latest topping dx5 had similar issue in earlier measurements, then with a firmware update, they added a choice in the menu to reduce the hump if wanted, which is interesting to say the least. Results can be found here: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/topping-dx5/

Edit: about the high pre-amp output, I especially wanted a high voltage output to make the most of my headphone amp smsl sp400 which can take up to 10V. Still waiting for my unit but I will compare them when it arrives. Might not even need another headphone amp anymore.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #20 of 123
YULONG managed to ship out the first batch of AURORA just before the 1-May Labor Day vacation. We have reserved two units of AURORA for a mini-tour. Since desktop products are more expensive to ship around during a tour and are more likely to attract custom attention, we decided to offer the mini-tour to US and EU countries only. Sorry for being unable to accommodate other countries at this stage.

If you are interested in checking AURORA in your home system and you are located in US or EU, please sign up below with a simple description of your current headphone/earphone system. I'll announce the final arrangement on 16th May Monday.

May 7, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #21 of 123
Haha, and I heard just a few times. Measure-fi is more of an accusation really. I am just a little bit concerned about rise in IMD which is commonly known as ESS hump. Some companies have tackled the issue but, as you said, it may also be just an adjustment to output a good result in measurement tests which are mostly done in certain conditions (1 khz tone, 4v output etc.) and change nothing about the sound of the product.

I don't want to accuse anyone but latest topping dx5 had similar issue in earlier measurements, then with a firmware update, they added a choice in the menu to reduce the hump if wanted, which is interesting to say the least. Results can be found here: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/topping-dx5/

Edit: about the high pre-amp output, I especially wanted a high voltage output to make the most of my headphone amp smsl sp400 which can take up to 10V. Still waiting for my unit but I will compare them when it arrives. Might not even need another headphone amp anymore.
Well, almost exactly what I have in mind what I mentioned "optimized that circuit to perform at its best at 1kHz", but in our experience, it does sound slightly inferior when we smooth out the famous ESS hump.

Be careful when you use a pre-amp to drive a headphone amplifier that was primarily an integrated amplifier, While it might handle 10V input, the headroom and dynamic range might not be at their best at 10V, You need to test the pairing carefully to find out the optimized output from AURORA to your SMSL. That is always part of the deal when you have two volume control in your desktop system.

May 7, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #22 of 123
Well, almost exactly what I have in mind what I mentioned "optimized that circuit to perform at its best at 1kHz", but in our experience, it does sound slightly inferior when we smooth out the famous ESS hump.

Be careful when you use a pre-amp to drive a headphone amplifier that was primarily an integrated amplifier, While it might handle 10V input, the headroom and dynamic range might not be at their best at 10V, You need to test the pairing carefully to find out the optimized output from AURORA to your SMSL. That is always part of the deal when you have two volume control in your desktop system.
I will be careful, and I think fixed 6v should be more than enough anyway. Also if you already considered smoothing out the hump and decided against it, knowing that is enough for me. Thanks again

May 7, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #23 of 123
YULONG managed to ship out the first batch of AURORA just before the 1-May Labor Day vacation. We have reserved two units of AURORA for a mini-tour. Since desktop products are more expensive to ship around during a tour and are more likely to attract custom attention, we decided to offer the mini-tour to US and EU countries only. Sorry for being unable to accommodate other countries at this stage.

If you are interested in checking AURORA in your home system and you are located in US or EU, please sign up below with a simple description of your current headphone/earphone system. I'll announce the final arrangement on 16th May Monday.
It's nice that you continue to do this. Are there plans to have a tour of the DA11 too?

May 11, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #24 of 123
my unit finally arrived yesterday. I had to go on a trip and haven't been able to use it much, but my first impression was very positive. It felt like it has a warm, impactful and smooth sound, maybe a smigde dark. I'll use it more and compare it with my other equipment next week.

I have a few questions though:
1) when I first saw the product, I think it was marketed as having 2 ES9068AS dac chips but now I see only hifigo lists these as 2*es9068as, others don't. which is correct?
2) as we talked earlier, my product don't have bluetooth. Antenna connector is removed and slot is closed with a sticker. It isn't that important but is it possible to enable bluetooth somehow, or bluetooth completely removed from the dac with chip etc.?

May 12, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #30 of 123
It's nice that you continue to do this. Are there plans to have a tour of the DA11 too?

Most probably, let's wait till DA11 starts to ship in quantity. However, if the Aurora thread didn't move on, the intention to conduct any other tour is slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back