Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #256 of 779
Hi, this is my first post. For years I've been content with my ipod earphones and never had a problem with them. A year ago I wanted to try out some quality stuff though since I really love music and wanted to hear my stuff in the best way.

I ended up buying Grado SR60's. They were mind blowing when I tried them out. They still impress me today. The problem I have with them are they're a bit uncomfortable. I'm so used to earbuds and not feeling them even in there. I can't stand ear canal phones either.

So in my search for good earbuds I came across Yuin. I wanted to get the PK2's but there was a sale at head-direct and it made the PK3's half the price and I didn't want to waste all my money so I bought the PK3's.

They arrived today and I'm still in the process of burning them in, but they are definitely better than the stock earbuds that came with the ipod. They're not quite mind blowing like the Grado's but I do notice a difference. Maybe one day I'll buy the PK2's. I'm so glad a company realized there's a good amount of us that prefer earbuds and want good sound quality too. So yeah, that's my first post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #258 of 779
I recently dropped one of my PK-3's into my cup of coffee (don't ask...) and ruined it, so I dug around and found the old Ipod phones. I plugged them in and began listening to my favorite songs and could not believe how terrible these things sound.

The PK-3's must have gradually broken-in, because I don't remember this drastic of a difference when I first listened to the Yuin's, but dayum, I MISS MY PK-3's.

Just ordered a new set from Head-Direct!

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #259 of 779
so, i hate to bring an old thread back, but WOW, i just got my PK3's in the mail from Head-Direct, and OMG, they blow my audio technica ath-ck7's out of the water! the sound is just so much fuller, i had no idea what i was missing. i have no way to explain it, other than i was just blown away after 15 seconds of listening to some massive attack.

anyway, thanks for this thread for opening my eyes to the fact that actual earbuds can be good.
smily_headphones1.gif
was goign to try them with a fiio e5 when ever it is for sale with my cf modded ipod mini. can't wait!

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #260 of 779
It's definitely been a while since I've posted here. I'm usually just a reader.

Anyway, I'm wondering from those who have purchased these, how they fit in the ear? I prefer earbuds that are smaller in size like the apple earbuds, but with the best sound possible. I have a pair of Sennheiser MX 560. They're great, just too big and the bass is slightly lacking for my taste... and I hate using the EQ on my iPod touch (2G).

Sorry for the resurrection of this old thread.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #261 of 779
I am a long-time Yuin fan (owned the PK3/2/1 and OK3) and recently rebought the PK3s. I just missed the sound sig of the PKs, and as it turns out, the PK3s are my favorite (no amp needed, cheapest, and I favor the sound over the PK2s). Anyway, the OK3s also sounded great, but were a bit larger than the PK2s (different design of the bud) and hurt my ears. No such problems with the PK3s. For $39, they remain a wonderful value is great sound and price. In my view. I have Westone 3s, IM716s (modded) and Klipsch X10s, and to be honest, the PK3s may not be on that level, but they are not all that far behind in my view - isolation being the major difference in many types of music. I just don't think you can get better sound for the money in any "in ear" type of phone. There are some cable durability issues, but I use mine lightly.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #262 of 779
I completely agree with you. I also own the PK1-3 and the PK3s are just criminally underrated.

I prefer them over the PK2 and they are not that much worse then the PK1. They are so easy to use, comfortable and they sound really great. And get this... they are half the price of the PK2. Thats a downright bargain.

They even sound better then the SA6 (sold to my brother). The whole PK line sounds better then the SA6 btw. But thats a different comparisson.

Jan 14, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #263 of 779
I recently fried my PK2's (buzzing on one side at volume) so I bought PK3's as a concession to the recession. They just showed up today (shipping from Head-Direct is unbelievably fast!). I haven't had a chance to do a side by side comparison yet, but the PK3's sound awesome so far and I may wind up liking them just as much as the PK2's. I have to say, especially for the PK3's I wish Yuin would cut back on the packaging, eliminate the gold plated adaptor (I must have six of them, including the one I got with the PK2's, and I never use them!) and cut the price even more. If they competed more wisely in the affordable/portable market, they would rule!

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #264 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a long-time Yuin fan (owned the PK3/2/1 and OK3) and recently rebought the PK3s. I just missed the sound sig of the PKs, and as it turns out, the PK3s are my favorite (no amp needed, cheapest, and I favor the sound over the PK2s). Anyway, the OK3s also sounded great, but were a bit larger than the PK2s (different design of the bud) and hurt my ears. No such problems with the PK3s. For $39, they remain a wonderful value is great sound and price. In my view. I have Westone 3s, IM716s (modded) and Klipsch X10s, and to be honest, the PK3s may not be on that level, but they are not all that far behind in my view - isolation being the major difference in many types of music. I just don't think you can get better sound for the money in any "in ear" type of phone. There are some cable durability issues, but I use mine lightly.

i agree,
i listened to many headphones and the yuins top most if not all.
it's their overall sound and weight of each note from top to bottom.
most headphones don't have much weight to the music.
these and my pk2 are the only ones that can make me sing!
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #265 of 779
So I just did a PK2/PK3 comparison and have these comments:

- SQ is just as people say. PK3s are bassier, not quite as clear especially in the midrange, but still terrific. PK3s sound a bit louder--not sure if this is a side effect of the bass. I am not an audiophile so a discerning ear would surely hear more difference than I do.
- PK3 cord is a bit shorter, stiffer and stickier. Not sure if the sticky quality will wear off over time. The length is a mixed bag. It would be better for exercising, but I use my iBud/Nano combo for exercising anyway. The PK's stay with my 5.5g. I actually don't hate the iBuds for non-critical listening, they are comfortable and the Y-cord cinch is very useful when jogging. The extra length is preferable while sitting here at work. Overall I prefer the PK2 cord.
- The mini-plug and the buds themselves are nearly identical. The buds have the same excellent ergonomic design, with the unique wasp-waisted stem. These buds fit and stay in my ear better than any other I've found. The only significant difference is the perforations in the plastic driver cover (which let the sound through) are significantly larger on the PK3. Not sure if this makes any difference in sound or if this has been changed on the PK2 since I bought mine nearly two years ago.

For people like me who use buds at work, while jogging outside, and other times where canalphones aren't appropriate, these are the best! Plus you can't beat Head-Direct's service. I had mine three business days after ordering, for $6 shipping. Not bad!

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #266 of 779
my pk3 arrived today, spent 3 hours listening to a random selection (hiphop-jazz) on my i-pod shuffle.

1.arrived fast, like 2 days?
2.pretty packaging.
3.great sound straight ota da box.
4.isolation is excellent (not what i wanted, but ill deal, volume down)
5.looking forward to burn in.

my other well used phones are senn hd280pros. pk3s equal them (or better?) from 20,000hz all the way down to 60hz (where the 2 year old 280 pros win for now, more authority) straight ota da box, IF they get better in 40+ hours ill be astonished.

very clean detailed musical 'buds' ?????!!!!!!!

unheard of.

Ive never heard the bass line from 'the lemon song' clearer....ever.

nice work yuin
k701smile.gif

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #267 of 779
I just received my new PK3's in the mail from Head Direct. My previous pair were taken by my girlfriend after she heard them in comparison the Westone UM1's she jacked from me last time. So now I've got the UM1's back in my possession and my old j-cord PK3's have been replaced by a new longer corded y-cord PK3. The new pair I received seemed to sound slightly more recessed than my old pair. It may be my imagination but I would probably be willing to put down a small bet that these earphones do get better with some burn-in. Right now I'm just running some music through them to have them burn in. It may not help but it certainly can't hurt. Anyways for comparison the PK3's are much better than the UM1's when sound isolation is not an issue. Obviously when taking public transit etc the UM1's will sound better due to lower outside noise interference. Glad to have my PK3's back!!

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #269 of 779
Just got those. Damn impresive!
Originally got them to replace the JVC HA-FX66 which I didn't like. But the pk3's turned out to do much more then just replacing those ****ers. Gotta love the vocals and acoustic instruments on those. And the bass doesn't leave to be desired, also (coming from a portapro fan/freak).

They respond nicely to the PA2V2 amp through a 75ohm adapter, too. Warm n fuzzy.

Way to go Yuin!
beerchug.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #270 of 779

Users who are viewing this thread

Back