Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #631 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goratrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a cable problem, not earbud problem, so it's the same across the whole PK line. The cable breaks at the specific point where it leaves the 3.5 mm jack. Yuin slightly changed the jack type recently, but it didn't help at all, they would have to change the cable to be more durable.

I'm going to try and fix these myself. Does anyone know or can lead me to a site on how to re-cable headphones?

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #632 of 779
how long can I expect my PK3's to last? I am planning to use them mostly while working at a desk or computer when I am not wanting to be totally enveloped by the music, but still have it be accurate. They are very comfortable to wear and the presentation of the music is not very intense, which I like at certain times =)

I suspect the cable life may be prolonged by being careful with how the buds are stored while not in use.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #633 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingreason /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect the cable life may be prolonged by being careful with how the buds are stored while not in use.

Yes. Make sure you don't roll them up too tightly. I pretty much took as much care as I could but looking back, the way I rolled them up into my jacket pocket may have contributed to a break by the plug. I never dropped them, snagged them or put them through any rigorous situations. I'll have to be more careful with my next pair.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #634 of 779
great thread. i was looking to buy some decent earbuds for my girlfriend as she's not a fan of IEMs and i was deciding between the sony mdr-e888lp, the yuin pk3 and yuin pk2. since the general consensus is that the pk3 has a bit more bass than the pk2, I've eliminated the pk2's. Also great to see that the "new" ones have a y-cord as a j-cord is a dealbreaker for her. i saw a few comments on another thread about the e888lp's vs. the pk3, but there wasn't much information in terms of treble clarity. can anyone comment on this? thanks.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #635 of 779
I had the sony E888LP for a very long time and thought no earbuds can beat the warm and clear sound quality until I came across the Yuins!!

I tried YUIN PK2 and found the treble on them abit too harsh, so I sold them and went for the YUIN PK3,

Believe me I don't even touch my SONY E888LP anymore, I mean Yuin PK3 has got overall great fun signature and great bass and treble is sparklely too, maybe not as detailed as some would like, but it is as detailed as koss KSC75.

Now I need to try the YUIN PK1 which is even better!!

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #636 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingreason /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how long can I expect my PK3's to last? I am planning to use them mostly while working at a desk or computer when I am not wanting to be totally enveloped by the music, but still have it be accurate. They are very comfortable to wear and the presentation of the music is not very intense, which I like at certain times =)

I bought my beginning of Oct. and only use it at work. I don't throw it around at work and keep it loosely rolled up over the weekend in my drawers.

I brought it home today for the Christmas break, and the sound in the right bud all of a sudden is really really quiet. So while I really love these buds, I won't be replacing them with another set of these buds.

Of course I read about these problems in this thread, but I didn't expect them to last so short when they're only being used at work.

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #637 of 779
Here is how I carry my PK3s
dh7jao.jpg

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #638 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tops2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my beginning of Oct. and only use it at work. I don't throw it around at work and keep it loosely rolled up over the weekend in my drawers.

I brought it home today for the Christmas break, and the sound in the right bud all of a sudden is really really quiet. So while I really love these buds, I won't be replacing them with another set of these buds.

Of course I read about these problems in this thread, but I didn't expect them to last so short when they're only being used at work.

I think its safe to say that whatever is inside the cable is whats the weak/cheap thing about the PK line. I also won't be purchasing another set because of this. I would like to somehow re-cable the buds but I can't find a place to do such a thing. I would try myself but I wouldn't want to damage perfectly good buds so I'll wait till I can find a viable option.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #639 of 779
I got my PK3's yesterday. I ordered them on the 16th, and was considering giving them away as a gift on the 25th, but they didn't get here in time, so I'm keeping them for the time being.

I'm very impressed. They are definitely the best earbuds I've heard, and they are comparable to many full size cans. They have very good bass, good detail, and decent soundstage. They also have an effortless sound that makes them relaxing to listen to, and makes them sound almost like speakers in a room. I'd say they aren't as good as the Grado SR225, but are on par with the SR80. Considering the SR80 is $100, the PK3 has excellent bang for the buck.

Overall, I'm very happy with the PK3's. They may become my primary work earphones, for comfort reasons. Though they may become a gift if I decide to upgrade to PK1's.

------------------

As far as possible cable problems posted above: If they are breaking at the 3.5mm plug end, they shouldn't need to be recabled, but simply reterminated. That's just a matter of cutting off the end past the break, and soldering on a new TRS plug, such as a Pallics. Left positive to tip, right positive to ring, and negative to shield. It might also be a good idea to add some heat shrink to strengthen the area by the connector. I've considered doing mine preemptively (I already have a Pallics connector, a soldering iron, and some heat shrink), but I'll probably wait to see how they hold up.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #641 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good to hear that,barleyguy
can i know what foam/eartips you were using with?

I'm using the donut foams. The initial test was with a Fiio E5.

Today I'm listening to the PK3's through a CTH, with a 1961 Bugle Boy tube. I feel like I'm late to the party in saying this: With proper amplification, the PK3's sound way better than their price indicates. They are really quite good.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #642 of 779
I have a few questions about this earbuds. I was going to make a new thread but I think I should ask it here instead.

Ok, I'm not a fan of earbuds but I use them when I run. I have a pair of Sennheiser cx300 which I can't stand when running because of its microphonics. I need a pair of open earbuds and not closed like the cx300 that isolate background noise. I think it's stupid to run when you can't hear your background because you don't know if there's a car behind you or whatever. Now my question is, when the cable is rubbed against your shirt, does it make that stupid noise aka microphonics? If you have the cx300, you should know what I'm talking about.

I'm looking at head-direct website right now and they cost $39. I'm wondering if $39 is too much since I'm only going to use it for running. Also, is this another flavor-of-the-month thing when one likes it because everyone does, just to join the crowd? And one last thing, how long is the cable and what's included? Thanks.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #644 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is PK3 thread, u better use "search" function

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Search Forums

Why would I use search? I already asked my questions and they're all about the PK3, and not the cx300. Please re-read my questions/comments. Thanks.

when I said 'this earbuds', I was talking about the PK3.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #645 of 779
Like most earbuds the PK3 do not suffer from microphonics. The cord is 1.2m (3.9ft) long (if I remember correctly) and they come with one set of regular foam cushions and 3 sets of donut-style (hole in the center) foam cushions. And also a 3.5mm -> 6.3mm adapter.

The PK3 is long past FOTM status since it's been around for a long time and is still as popular as ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back