Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #646 of 779
Hi,

Have been looking to buy new earphones for my Cowon D2+ and started reading about these Yuins. I was surprised to find that they weren't in ear though. This presents a problem for me as I mostly use them on public transport and would prefer to have noise cancelling. However, I would be willing to forego that if these phones are as good as everyone is saying. So my question is are the Yuins sound quality better or as good as the in ear noise cancelling phones in the lower to mid price bracket? By that I mean €30 - €70.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #647 of 779
Hey guys one of my two pairs of Yuin PK3's were sent back to Head-Direct for warranty as they are still covered for replacement. The other pair are older and have been denied coverage under waranty. For this second pair I went to Ratshack and grabbed a new 3.5mm jack and reterminated the earphones. It was great to get the PK3's back as I really missed the sound. To me the thing I love about these earphones is how much they don't sound like earphones. I'm regularly surprised finding myself thinking I'm listening to a pair of full size headphones. Here's a picture of the reterminated earphones. If they break again I will reterminate with a nicer 3.5mm jack. If I keep having to cut off the cable and reterminate I may try to make a full custom cable.
R0010530.jpg

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #649 of 779
I'm just curious, but has anyone found any ear hooks that work well with these? I've been thinking about getting these for the gym, but I can never keep buds from falling out.

Edit: Has anyone tried the AudéoWorld Phonak Silicone Ear Guides?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Double Edit: I guess I'll find out for myself! Got a set of Yuin PK3 and some AudeoWorld Ear Guides on the way
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #650 of 779
Finished my portable rig, time for PK1?
P1010281s.jpg

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #651 of 779
this makes me wonder if my pair are just that defective or not, i picked them up a few days ago, 50 hours of burn in or so and they dont sound at all special. I've got stock earbuds from an Insignia radio that crush these...

idk if thats just me and my set, but im very upset right now. They need to do a 180 turn in the next few days or im selling them.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #652 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this makes me wonder if my pair are just that defective or not, i picked them up a few days ago, 50 hours of burn in or so and they dont sound at all special. I've got stock earbuds from an Insignia radio that crush these...

idk if thats just me and my set, but im very upset right now. They need to do a 180 turn in the next few days or im selling them.

You are not alone. There are a couple of members here (myself included) who don't really think the PK3 are all that. We just don't post our impressions in the appreciation thread. I personally gave up the PK3 for the Hisoundaudio PAA-1 that came with my Amp3 and never looked back.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #653 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are not alone. There are a couple of members here (myself included) who don't really think the PK3 are all that. We just don't post our impressions in the appreciation thread. I personally gave up the PK3 for the Hisoundaudio PAA-1 that came with my Amp3 and never looked back.

That's because it's an "Appreciation" thread LOL.
k701smile.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #655 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Villain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe i'm better off posing this question in here...

Can anyone reccomend new pads for the PK3s? I want to replace the foamies with something that is a bit 'stickier', as my left ear doesn't hold the bud in place very well. Something made of rubber, or a 'rubbery' type of foam?

I can position it right where I want it, but for whatever reason the left slowly falls out of position, while the right sticks in fine.

thanks!

Bumping this post. I have the same issue too, and haven't been able to find anything. I tried using Audeo Phonak ear guides, but didn't really like them.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #656 of 779
Haven't tried it myself but maybe something like the Sennheiser rubber pads (from the MX55/65) would work (sold by Sennheiser USA). Comes with some extra foamies too. Just something you may want to look into.

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #657 of 779
I skipped over the PK3 andwent for the PK2. I have to say I am thrilled with the sound. Very, very detialed for an earbud. Perhaps if you guys don't find an alternative to the PK3, you should bump up.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #658 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I skipped over the PK3 andwent for the PK2. I have to say I am thrilled with the sound. Very, very detialed for an earbud. Perhaps if you guys don't find an alternative to the PK3, you should bump up.

The PK3 sounds way different than the PK2. I've heard both extensively, and I'm glad I own the PK3, which IMO sounds like a compact KSC75 w/o the sparkle. The PK2 is so airy to the point that it reminds me of the K701 at times; nothing has any impact to it. The drums on the PK2 sounds like the drums are made of clouds.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #659 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PK3 sounds way different than the PK2. I've heard both extensively, and I'm glad I own the PK3, which IMO sounds like a compact KSC75 w/o the sparkle. The PK2 is so airy to the point that it reminds me of the K701 at times; nothing has any impact to it. The drums on the PK2 sounds like the drums are made of clouds.
wink.gif

Yep. The one thing about the PK2 that I had to adjust my tastes was the lack of thump. Once I was past that, the enjoyment really kicked in. Can't be more impressed with this earbud. The airiness is a perfect description. It's my first experience with any Yuin products and I haveto take my hat off to them. I have several IEM's that aren't near the quality of the PK2.

Edit: I'm currently going through the same growing pains with my Grado SR60i's. First experience with a Grado and they have significantly less bass impact than my ES7's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back