Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jan 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #961 of 1,068
I use PK1's with a PORTA CORDA 3 MEIER amp. The PK1 is just so detailed, so clear, with an amazing
soundstage, that from the start I had the rare feeling (for me) of not even being curious about any other
in-ear headphones. I'm speaking from a quite limited, narrow experience with ear buds or any other in-ear
models, just some crappy ones and PK1,but I just don't see how anyone could go wrong with these.

And customer service at YUIN has been the best.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #962 of 1,068
I can't believe how good these little pieces of junk sound.  Out of pure curiosity, I picked up the PK1s with an E11 amp from Amazon about a month ago.    The headphones must carry a 1000% markup in the US over their production cost.   That said, they are really the most enjoyable headphones that I've ever owned.   (Grado SR80, iGrado, Westone UM2, Shure SRH-940, Beyer 880 600, B&W C5, B&W P5, Vmoda M-50, HD25-II, Klipsch S4, Koss Portapro, HD600, all amped)

It sounds like you're standing in from of some really powerful and expensive speakers, tonally they're great but the thing I like best is how the sound seems like it's coming from all over.     It's hard to compare them to the other phones as I've never owned a setup that had such a dramatic sound stage effect and prominent instrument separation.   Very enjoyable to say the least, money well spent.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #963 of 1,068
I have had my PK2 for a few days now...loving them. They remind me of my Grado SR60i when I first got them...can't wait to have them well and truly burned in.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #965 of 1,068
Was a tad worried when I was listening to Miles Davis' Bitches Brew on them at the office...the horns are super sharp in some places, and I got a bit of sibilance...I haven't experienced that anywhere else though, and I played a bunch of Coltrane, and other Miles albums on them too. I am assuming its something that will wear off with a little time. No complaints whatsoever :).

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #967 of 1,068
I just bought PK2s. Must say I was almost unimpressed at first until I put earbud coverings (donut ones). Now they sound great. 
Wonder why it is such a difference with earbud covers on? Do you use it? 

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #969 of 1,068
Had my Yuin PK2's now for a 6+ months and they do just keep getting bettter. I LOVE these phones :D

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #970 of 1,068
I just bought PK2s. Must say I was almost unimpressed at first until I put earbud coverings (donut ones). Now they sound great. 
Wonder why it is such a difference with earbud covers on? Do you use it? 

Foam is seal, as mrbrad said. It makes more or less difference according to there fit between the bud and the ear.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #971 of 1,068
Somewhat a revival for a thread that has enjoyed some peaceful rest...however I discovered something (maybe) worth adding to the PK-1's archive.

I've enjoyed the PK-1's tremendously, and they've been my go-to headphones for when I'm portable but do not want the isolation of an IEM.  The PK-1's have served well for this use, and the only problem I have is that they are small for my ears and often fall out.  One often discussed mod in this thread was to use Radio Shack foams with a hole cut in the middle...they are a little thicker and also improved the sound as reported by several forum members (including me).  This helped with my fit, and I liked the improved sound, but this did not completely eliminate the problem.

I now use the PK-'s with the stock ear foams (with hole) with the modded Radio Shack foams OVER those.  While difficult to install, they stay in place once you're done and provide some extra "puff" for those needing a snugger fit.

The surprise extra benefit is the improvement in sound.  With double foams installed, the driver still has a clear shot to your ear because of the holes in the foam...and the deeper bowl that results provides an excellent boost in sound quality.  Better soundstage, and in my case due to the better fit.....better bass response and fullness.

I suggest anyone still experimenting with their Yuin ear buds consider giving this a try if they are still working to tweak that sound. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #972 of 1,068
That's an interesting mod. I might give it a try when I'm bored but I just got my PK2 and I must say I'm very happy with them. They are a better fit for my ears and the sound for the price is spot on. It would be great though if you could get the donut foam replacements. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #973 of 1,068
I have bought the donut foams from head-direct, the item labeled "Yuin Foams" -  http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=73
Quote:
That's an interesting mod. I might give it a try when I'm bored but I just got my PK2 and I must say I'm very happy with them. They are a better fit for my ears and the sound for the price is spot on. It would be great though if you could get the donut foam replacements. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back