Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Dec 8, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #796 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by skydro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new PK1-s distort quite some if I turn up the volume a bit. Will this go away after burn-in or I will have to listen at low volumes?

this might very well be due to your source.. i have them amped to a caffeine ultra from a ipod classic all turned up highest volume and i have zero distortion. what source are you using? and bitrate of files?

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #797 of 1,068
OMG is all I can say.. Just got the PK1 and PK2.. trying to decide which to keep.. the pk1 at first listening is a much more full sound compared to the PK2, unamped, and more so amped. i will give them both some burn in and take another listen.. but wow - they sound almost as good as my 580s.. the PK1 especially.. i am definitely leaning towards keeping the pk1 on first listen even if i go unamped from my ipod classic. let's see if burn-in changes anything.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #798 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this might very well be due to your source.. i have them amped to a caffeine ultra from a ipod classic all turned up highest volume and i have zero distortion. what source are you using? and bitrate of files?

iBasso D4 Mamba that hasn't been burned in and the files vary, mostly they are V0 vbr and 320 cbr, some are V2 and FLAC.

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #799 of 1,068
wow..thats strange.. the D4 is a DAC right? what DAP are you using? if there is distortion maybe it might be a bad pair of headphones? I turned up the volume all the way up on my ipod and caffeine amp (which drives even my hd580s - 300 ohm - to extremely loud volumes) and got zero distortion. and my files are also mostly V0 vbr and 320 cbr

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #802 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by skydro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D4 is a DAC and amp combo. D4 is hooked to a computer. Maybe my PK1-s distort because they haven't broken in?

i doubt it because i just received mine yesterday and was listening to them as i have mentioned in earlier posts with all volume maxed on source and amp with brand new PK1's

Dec 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #803 of 1,068
how is the PK1 with the Amp3? anybody? Thanks.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #804 of 1,068
so after about 20 hours burn-in taking another listen to my PK2.. the burn-in really helped a lot.. the bass has definitely filled in. and what i once thought was going to be a simple decision to return the PK2 is now not so simple.. the PK2 needs no amping and the sounds is really rich and full - a bit warm, but still very nice. and the cord length is more to my liking.. i will have to see how the PK1 sound after i give them ample burn-in time...

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #805 of 1,068
Hi, Well I sold my PK2 after about 500hrs of burn-in,
I found the treble abit too harsh, I won't call them warm-earphones at all.
So I bought the PK3, which I'm happy with.
Would neva buy PK2 again, but PK1 probably yes..

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #806 of 1,068
I am getting new PK1s in the mail. I have a question for the more knowledgeable. The only amp I have is a semi-homemade CMoy with the OPA2227 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/cmoy-amp-pcb-227416/ and Inbox Foto (foto.inbox.lv) I'm unsure of what parts are used on the board except the opamp.

I may switch to the AD8066 opamp, but what I want to know: is this amp decent if my source is a computer or iPod Nano 3G?

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #807 of 1,068
Wow! Just got my pk1's in the mail. Incredible full sound for earbuds! I'm running them through a Hifiman EF2 and they sound like I'm listening to full size headphones. Can't wait to hear them after burn in!

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #808 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Well I sold my PK2 after about 500hrs of burn-in,
I found the treble abit too harsh, I won't call them warm-earphones at all.
So I bought the PK3, which I'm happy with.
Would neva buy PK2 again, but PK1 probably yes..

I didn't find the PK2's harsh at all, there were on the slightly warm side. Amping them with a Mini3 helped quite a bit. Which reminds me, I really need to get them fixed soon (replace the plug)...been putting it off for months now.
redface.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #809 of 1,068
Could this be the perfect match for portable sound ?

o2smile.gif

Teclast have made a HiFi portable source that is crystal clear with accuracy up there with a mid level CD Player. S/N of at least 110 dB ! and a line-out that bypasses the rather average Phillips headphone amp included.

After seeing this thread, I bought a pair of PK1s and they are really the best earbuds I've ever heard. I used to think it just wasn't possible to make earbuds with a full-size sound - so now I'm a convert. I want to preach to the other converts and let them know that most people are still using iPods, zunes and such and none of them have the clarity achieved by the recent Teclast T51. The T51 has more then enough guts to drive the amazing PK1s, but plug in a headphone amp and you have something special.

Anyone who knows the Total Bithead, the DAC in the T51 will reveal that the bithead DAC is not the best, but the amp is pretty nice.

The price in China for the Teclast T51 is about 880RMB, which is I think about $120 US - finding a distributor might be an issue, I'm lucky I'm in Beijing already.

I usually use the T51 unamped when on the go, and amped when sitting down, usually replacing the PK1 with my HD650s.

I hope this helps those looking for a portable nirvana.

More reading (Slow broadband warning):
Teclast T51

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #810 of 1,068
How is the PK2 with iPod classic 7th Gen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back