Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jan 19, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #692 of 1,068
I was very skeptical when it comes to any kinds of earbud earphones. I have tried many different things and always coming back to my ol'trusty ER4S which of course IEM not earbud. My ER4S has been with me for several years and will probably remain with me for very long time to come. But I was still looking for simple earbud design that can sound good when I don't need much isolation.

Well, after reading this long thread several times, I finally broke down and bought the PK1 without expecting much from it. Boy, am I wrong on my presumption about sound quality coming from PK1. I simply can't believe my ears that this simple unassuming earbud can sounds this good. My initial impression is using an amp. It looks like those free earbuds that comes with many DAPs out there.

I know my ER4S will be with me for a very long time to come but I am guessing PK1 will be too. One thing about PK1 vs. ER4S is that PK1 is much more comfortable to my ears and I can wear ER4S several hours without much issue. And PK1 has almost zero microphonic quality compare to ER4S. It took me awhile for me to convince myself to purchase this earbud when I can purchase such full size phone as Grado SR225 with not much more money. I don't know how they design such a good sounding earbud but it is sounding so good to my ears. I am just hoping PK1's physical quality is par with the sound quality as well.

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #693 of 1,068
Okay so I have previously owned a couple pair of senns mx550 and they are falling apart after heavy use. Its either I get the mx660 that replaced the 550 or I'm thinking of the pk3 has any one here heard both?

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #694 of 1,068
Got my PK1 1 month ago and would say I love it too much
smily_headphones1.gif
. It sounds great in my combo: Cowon D2 -> D2 BOA -> PK1.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #695 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by matajuro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay so I have previously owned a couple pair of senns mx550 and they are falling apart after heavy use. Its either I get the mx660 that replaced the 550 or I'm thinking of the pk3 has any one here heard both?

Never heard the Senns, but the PK3 is to me, the best headphone value and, hard to believe, the best sound of the PK lineup without an amp. I felt the PK2 to be bass deficient, and the PK1 requires an amp to shine. I did a listening session last night with the PK3 and the Minibox and Touch, and it continues to blow me away. Don't forget burn-in, 2-3 days. Read over the PK3 thread for more on this wonderful little bud.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #696 of 1,068
I received my PK-1 today. I have to admit that I am a bit dissapointed with the mids which is audibly colored and "humpy" compared to my modded ER-4S. But then again the PK-1 has been used only around 20 hours so I guess I will need to burn it in for a while. I am happy with the lush highs and bottoms.

Very soon I will have them recabled with pure solid core silver like my ER-4S and hope that this will help to improve the mids and intorduce a bit more transparent timbre to the sound spectrum

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #697 of 1,068
Sounds like a very cool idea. I would give them 40+ hours of burn-in, and hope they improve. I also really liked the PK1s, but with so many IEMs, decided to sell them. However, I am happy to have the PK3s back in my stable.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #699 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my PK-1 today. I have to admit that I am a bit dissapointed with the mids which is audibly colored and "humpy" compared to my modded ER-4S. But then again the PK-1 has been used only around 20 hours so I guess I will need to burn it in for a while. I am happy with the lush highs and bottoms.

Very soon I will have them recabled with pure solid core silver like my ER-4S and hope that this will help to improve the mids and intorduce a bit more transparent timbre to the sound spectrum

I've read that the burn-in period for PK1 is 500 hours (!).

YUIN PK1 PK2 PK3 Hifi Stereo Earphones Earbuds - UK & Europe (EU) representative supplier :: View topic - PK1 and burn in effects

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #700 of 1,068
Feb 6, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #701 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the burn-in period for PK1 is 500 hours (!).

YUIN PK1 PK2 PK3 Hifi Stereo Earphones Earbuds - UK & Europe (EU) representative supplier :: View topic - PK1 and burn in effects

For me it was about 100 hours that did it. After that it didn't change much, if any. The biggest change was in the bass area but, other than that, there were no other dramatic changes. Maybe a bit more mid but that's about it. Some may have different experiences.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #702 of 1,068
Just got my PK2s in. Picked them up for $40 and I like them a lot. Seems a lot like a warmer version of a stock ER4P with a little more bass. How long should I burn them in?
Now I'm kind of curious in picking up a pair of PK3 just to compare... I have EQ'd up the bass up a lot, but I hear the rolloff in some bass heavy tracks. But in most tracks that don't require extremely excessive bass extension, the EQ'd bass seems on point and very punchy. I added a lot of bass and tamed the mids a little and boosted the treble just slightly.
Wonder if I would like the PK3 a little more... definitely am more than impressed with the PK2 though. I do love bass, but I doubt the PK3 would be able to match the mids and highs of the PK2.

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #703 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it was about 100 hours that did it. After that it didn't change much, if any. The biggest change was in the bass area but, other than that, there were no other dramatic changes. Maybe a bit more mid but that's about it. Some may have different experiences.

Adding my "different experience": I was disappointed with the PK1s out of the box, but after about 40 hours of burn-in, I was treated to a welcome improvement all around.
biggrin.gif
I have yet to hit the 100 hour mark.

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #704 of 1,068
Bought the PK2's today from another forum who also happened to be a Head-fi member over here! Been listening to these for about an hr to analyze their sound signature, and here are things I noticed (with donut pads and S639F as source):

1) Amazingly accurate and clear/transparent highs and mids. Nothing distorted or muffled, and did not notice any siblance (and I'm pretty sensitive to that). Soundstage is somewhat narrow even for buds, but give it a more upfront feeling like the Shures. It's actually very Shure-like overall, in its overall sound signature, with better highs, but definitely trumps my SE210's easily.

2) Bass definitely doesn't extend as well, especially compared to PK3 (Which I have traded with my friend for Super fi 5 pro's for indefinite amount of time), but it's the kind of bass I like which is hard hitting and tight. I connected my E3 to it and it definitely helps out in that category and has a good synergy overall, not sacrificing anything else in the process. Definitely prefer PK2 with E3 compared to PK3 stock (which with E3 as expected, isn't great) as keeps the clarity while improving the bass extension.

3) Cord and the body itself looks quite durable and seems like it'll withstand most everyday activities. Oh, and I happened to get the Y-cord version which is great (I was expecting the J ones).

So overall, it was money well spent and will serve me well as my new office earbud of choice, which means I'll be spending a lot of time with it from now on. Thanks to the seller (don't seem to have the same name over here as in the other forum) for selling it to me at a fair price and being friendly... oh, and as a nice little bonus he also happened to have the Westone 3's which I briefly demoed in exchange for my 530's, but that's for another thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Overall for my preferences, I definitely prefer the PK2's and having to E3 it if I happened to want more bass out of it (but I still find the stock bass fine). I'll be giving back PK3's to my friend (which I did plan to just trade with my super fi's straight up with my friend if I didn't end up liking the PK2), but I do feel that for most masses out there PK3 is a better choice with its better bass response and more life overall. But if you want more precision, PK2 is a better decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back