Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jun 6, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #616 of 1,068
So after reading the last few pages of this thread, seems like there are alot of people in team Pk2! I imagine this is because of the cost as well as the ability to use them unamped. Could this possibly be a sweet spot in the yuin line? And why not? It is between 1 and 3 haha. Still waiting for mine! Got Antonyfirst's pair in a trade!

BTW: As soon as I get these, I am pulling out the soldering iron. Going to shorten and reterminate these babies. Woot!

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #617 of 1,068
Heh, I think the sweet spot of the Yuins is the OK2, but it's 169$.
biggrin.gif

Good luck with your soldering iron!

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #618 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after reading the last few pages of this thread, seems like there are alot of people in team Pk2! I imagine this is because of the cost as well as the ability to use them unamped.

Thats why I chose the PK2.

Personally, the donut covers are just great, no cover sounded a bit bright, the full cover sounded a bit too veiled and killed the brightness completely, but the donuts are just right, for me at least
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #620 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, I think the sweet spot of the Yuins is the OK2, but it's 169$.
biggrin.gif

Good luck with your soldering iron!

haha Thanks. I am still working my way around DIY and just sacrificed a pair of my brother's ibuds. Looking good!

Will be cutting down the pk2 cord length and replacing it with a black RA neutrik. Pretty excited now!

IMG_2379.jpg

So at least I know its possible, and that I can do it!

Jun 12, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #621 of 1,068
Just got my PK2s...

First impression: so comfortable! I bought the Senn MX560s till I got my PKs and man, they hurt my ears more than the new iBuds.

Listening to them right now from my 1G iPod and I'm having eargasms. They sound weird... because they don't sound like an earbud AT ALL! More like supraaural cans.

Very nice soundstage, warm sound sig, not overdetailed, not fatiguing at all. I've seen people comparing them to the KSC75s but... the PK2 is in another league (nevertheless, the KSCs are great cans, had'em, loved'em, in fact I bought my PKs cause I broke my KSCs).

I can also really hear some MP3 artifacts... Also a small amount of sibillance but that might be more because I'm tired (and when I'm tired I'm hypersensitive about sibillance).

Clear midrange, just the right amount of bass (not as punchy as, say, on the KSC75s, but they are definitelly not muddy! more like... laid back a little), nice treble, not sparkly or anything but clear.

I can't wait to see what happens when they burn in.

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #622 of 1,068
After listening PK2 for a week, I'm quite amazed with this earbud.
It's definitely one the best buck for quality.

Clear mid and decent high. But as many headfiers warned, the bass is weak. Too weak in fact. But definitely it's still a big leap from ipod earbud.

It's also very comfortable and it snuggle nicely on my ear.

I'm curious, is Yuin the 1st company that introduce donut-foam?

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #623 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by babi12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After listening PK2 for a week, I'm quite amazed with this earbud.
It's definitely one the best buck for quality.

Clear mid and decent high. But as many headfiers warned, the bass is weak. Too weak in fact. But definitely it's still a big leap from ipod earbud.

It's also very comfortable and it snuggle nicely on my ear.

I'm curious, is Yuin the 1st company that introduce donut-foam?

I've read about the weak bass too and I wonder if thats why a bass boost switch was added on the minibox e+ as I it was supposedly made with the yuins in mind. I have the pk1s with about 50 hours and the bass is perfect now but if i'm out in any loud areas the boost switch adds that little punch and still sounds great without taking anything away from the vocals or making things sound muddy.

These earbuds with the donut foam are great, comfortable for hours and perfect at my job where I need to be able to hear if something is going on and can't have the isolation of an iem.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #625 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlavioWolff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PK1 and Headsix on the way here!
Can't wait !!!

Lucky you, once I received mine all my music is being switched over to apple lossless. Love these phones. I also ended up buying the replacement full cover foams from radio shack as per a recommendation in this thread. They are a little thicker than the donut foams but they really bring out the bass and tone down some of the harsh treble in a few songs I have. Doesn't seem to degrade sound quality or that wide soundstage either to my ears. All pros so far.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #627 of 1,068
Look on the other board, the one dedicated to portable earphones, and you will see a thread on OK3 vs. PK2, which also refers to other threads. General consensus seems to be that the OK3 has slightly better bass, but it's close. OK3 is also a bit bigger. I had the same debate in my mind; I went with PK2's and like them a lot. They don't have heavy, powerful bass but they have good balance and very good sound as long as you're in a reasonably quiet environment. I learned on a city bus today that there's still a place for IEM's in the collection.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #628 of 1,068
Hi there!

I bought a set of Yuin PK2s about 3 months ago to go with my Sony s616 player. I found the Yuins are the only headphones that I can set the bass boost on and actually have it still sounding natural and round and not muddy at all. I'm a bit of a bass head and I found the sound coming out of an ipod without any boost is a little too lean for my ears, but having the sony boost on +1 or +2 is absolute perfection. I can't find another set of headphones that sounds as round, balanced and awesome as the PK2s!

I spoke to my wallet earlier and I'm not allowed to even think on PK1s. But I do. Late at night.

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #629 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did anything ever come of this prototype recabling? Anyone recabled there PK1? Or can we send them back in to get it done?

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #630 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by longie11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lucky you, once I received mine all my music is being switched over to apple lossless. Love these phones. I also ended up buying the replacement full cover foams from radio shack as per a recommendation in this thread. They are a little thicker than the donut foams but they really bring out the bass and tone down some of the harsh treble in a few songs I have. Doesn't seem to degrade sound quality or that wide soundstage either to my ears. All pros so far.

Damn, why haven't I read this thread entirely before I bought it?
Luckily that I will pass on a radioshack store when I go to Orlando next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back