Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Aug 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #646 of 1,068
Yeup, found the original message on Yuin's message board :

YUIN PK1 PK2 PK3 Hifi Stereo Earphones Earbuds - UK & Europe (EU) representative supplier :: View topic - PK1 and burn in effects

Tips about burn in:

1. PK1s sound noticeably different before and after burn in. Brand new PK1s sound very tight and the sound stage is a little narrow; while after burn in, all aspects of PK1s will be significantly improved.

2. The general burn in period of PK1 is 500 hours.

3. Please be careful not to overpower when burn in.

-----

500 hours seems like a loooong time :O

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #647 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend the PK1s unamped?

As many have noted, the PK2s work fine unamped.
But the SQ is too colored for my taste.

Nops... PK1 are meant to be used with an Amp.

even $120 Amps like GoVibe Martini can power them very good..(i tried them today)

they sound very bad the first week..after burn in they sound the best (the PK1 owner told me that)

PK2 are terrible...the high range is artificially enhanced like that X-fi effect... better get Pk3 for their powerful Bass.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #648 of 1,068
The PK1 did sound unimpressive the first week I had them, but now they are my favorite headphones. I use these much more than my D2000. Not that the PK1 has better SQ, but because they are so comfortable and easy to maneuver in when doing something while music listening. I also prefer the open/airiness of these versus the Denon D2000 closed style. However, I keep my D2000 for when I need a little isolation or for when I am doing some intense listening (doing nothing but listening).

The PK1 and the D2000 seemed to have too much bass when I first got them, but both seem to be MUCH better now. Was it a change due to burn-in, or to me acclimating to the sound? I don't know. Both headphones have somewhere between 300-500 hours burn-in each. I also did the markl mod on my Denon when I first got them and before real burn-in time. After the mod I still felt they had way too much bass. Now after much burn-in I rarely feel that way when listening to them... Perhaps I am a basshead now.

The D2000 has a wider sound stage. The PK1's sound stage is not bad at all though. Its actually really amazing considering how tiny of a headphone it is.

The D2000 is just better SQ all around, except when you consider "airiness" of an open headphone.

!!!

But if I could only keep one of them - I would go with the PK1 for overall value and convenience. It's overall sound quality is good enough to keep me satisfied in most situations unless I am in a noisy environment.

By the way, I do not like using IEMs. They do not feel comfortable, and I dont feel safe in public while not being able to hear my surroundings. I also remember reading one thread recently where someone posted about how their ear canal has permanently become much larger since repeated use of IEMs. <- Weird.

If the PK1s could be priced cheaper - I think they would become like THE initial audiophile recommendation of choice on head-fi (instead of the SR60, PX100, or any KOSS). Also, it would get recommended before these because of sound quality, and because of scalability with amps, and also for the new people who have had only experience with ipod earbuds would probably feel more comfortable with another earbud instead of a different headphone wearing style/format that the other usual suspects listed above bring along with it. And I do not see why the PK1 cannot be priced lower, because it certainly does not seem like an expensive headphone to make... Head-Direct needs to bring back the PK1/minibox-e+ value combo again. I remember they were selling these faster than they could make them.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #649 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the PK1s could be priced cheaper - I think they would become like THE initial audiophile recommendation of choice on head-fi (instead of the SR60, PX100, or any KOSS).

Well, the PK1 requires an amp, so they can't replace the KSC/75, PX100 etc. recommendations. PK3/PK2 however, can. And I think it already does...I came to this forum looking for high-quality non-IEM earbuds to replace my KSC/35, and after 10 minutes of searching and skimming through various threads I decided on the PK series, the positive feedback here is really overwhelming
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #650 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goratrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the PK1 requires an amp, so they can't replace the KSC/75, PX100 etc. recommendations.

Yes - the PK1 requires an amp to sound its best, but it will still sound better than those other headphones without one anyway. Plus the PK1 will have all the pros of the comfortability of an earbud and the ability to scale with an amp.

Sep 7, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #651 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I am not mistaken I read somewhere on one of the Yuin websites that the Pk1 (dunno about the Pk2 or Pk3) takes 500 hours of burn in... I can't imagine my PK1 sounding any better than right now tho.

I can confirm it's the same for the Pk2. I just had a replacement and my new ones sound dull (vocals, soundstage) compared to what my old pair sounded after a year of usage, so new buyers who aren't too impressed, hang in there it gets much better after burn in!

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #652 of 1,068
hmm... i don't know how much my pk1 has burned in, but i have not noticed significant improvement over time... maybe it's cuz it's sooooo good already!

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #654 of 1,068
Alright, after some reading I'm convinced to try the PK2, I hope they impress me. Has anyone tried using them while running?

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #656 of 1,068
I found too much of a difference between Pk1 & PK2 ..so much that i suddenly lost interest in PK2.

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #657 of 1,068
I went by my local The Source store (formerly known as Radio Shack in Canada) and bought some replacement earpads for my Yuin PK1. A few people said that they enhanced the bass, and that is certainly true! They also tamed a bit of the trebles but w/o removing any details in the sound at all.

I call this the "affro mod". Anyone who has seen how huge the earpads are will understand...

I can still walk and tilt my head but I wouldn't jump up and down otherwise I'll lose them for sure!

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #658 of 1,068
Anyone tried a succesful recabling of their yuin PK1s?

My yuin pk1 just broke after about 8 months of use. I dont get any sounds out of the left channel. I know the problem is in the 3.5mm plug. Just wanted to know if its wise to chop of the plug then solder the copper wires onto a new plug. Or chop the cable just midway and recable the whole thing?

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #659 of 1,068
I'd just put on a new plug and call it a day.

I just ordered PK1's. I gave my wife a pair of PK2's last July for her Ipod Shuffle. They blew her away. She did ask how much they cost. When I told her, she was miffed at how reckless I was with my lolly. Then she smiled and said how good they sounded. I will not tell her how much my PK1's cost. Never. If I do, she'll have to have a listen and, if they blow her away even further than the Pk2's, I'll have to buy another pair of PK1's while enduring the lecture of how reckless I am with my lolly. At least I have 2 headphone amps and can give her one, but I know that she'll not want the bulk.

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #660 of 1,068
Another very happy owner of a pair of PK1. I got mine from Fang via HiFlight. They have about 350 hours of burn in with me, so they should be fully burnt in. IMO they sound superb for a bud and great for any kind of portable unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back