Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jan 24, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #511 of 1,068
Has there been any comparisons of sound signatures of PK1 and ER4(s/p)? Unfair comparison or not I would like to hear opinions on this case. I have shure E4's and I'm kinda disappointed to their sound after I got PK1's so much cheaper (139$). Yeh E4 is IEM but still the price/sq difference is so immense so I wouldn't be able to justify buying E4's after I have heard them.

Is there any full size cans that sound like improved PK1?

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #512 of 1,068
I owned Ety ER4Ps with the S cable, and I sold them for a couple of reasons, one of which was I started to really like the PK1 sound. I also liked the Atrios as my IEMs. Now, I still find the Atrios good, but I have to say, the AL 716s (when used with an amp) are really sounding great these days.

So comparing the Etys with the PK1s is a little apples to oranges cause it is buds vs. IEMs, but I favor the PK1s for their more balanced sound.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #513 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So comparing the Etys with the PK1s is a little apples to oranges cause it is buds vs. IEMs, but I favor the PK1s for their more balanced sound.

I don't understand why everyone has to make a statement on this matter. Sound vs Sound is absolutely comparable no matter the price or how it's produced.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #514 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned Ety ER4Ps with the S cable, and I sold them for a couple of reasons, one of which was I started to really like the PK1 sound. I also liked the Atrios as my IEMs. Now, I still find the Atrios good, but I have to say, the AL 716s (when used with an amp) are really sounding great these days.

Could you compare the PK1s to the Atrio m5s? I have a feeling the atrios will sound better unamped (I got a portable amp but not for portable use) and plus it would provide better bass for my kind of music. I want the yuins but I just don't know if it can produce that kind of airtight sound that comes from dynamic iems.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #515 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by qscq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why everyone has to make a statement on this matter. Sound vs Sound is absolutely comparable no matter the price or how it's produced.

Okay, I prefer the PK1s sound, but they require an amp. The ER4Ps do not, so that's another differentiator. Sound is sound, but if someone is asking to compare these two phones, they are only comparable under the same conditions. In this case, the PK1s were built for an amp, but the ER4Ps don't need one. How can you compare the two without noting differences like that? Or that one is an IEM that doesn't require an amp, and one is an ear bud that does.

It is not a straightforward comparison.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #516 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you compare the PK1s to the Atrio m5s? I have a feeling the atrios will sound better unamped (I got a portable amp but not for portable use) and plus it would provide better bass for my kind of music. I want the yuins but I just don't know if it can produce that kind of airtight sound that comes from dynamic iems.

You are right. If you want airtight sound and don't want to use an amp, then the Atrios are the better choice. Keep in mind that the PK1 sound signature and the Atrio SS are very different. I happen to like them both, but some folks might not. But if you only have one (the M5s) then it won't matter, cause you won't know the difference.

And as some have pointed out in reviews, the PK1 deep bass extension is one of its few shortfalls.

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #517 of 1,068
Well I don't really mind not having that same experience outside of home (there's a lot going on around me, why would I be focused on my music?).

As much as I like my grados, I found out I'm more of an iem/bud guy and the sound is big but somehow they don't give as much of that one strong flow kind of thing. So would agree w/ a lot of people that the yuin sound like grados? (is the midrange upfront?)

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #518 of 1,068
Yes, the Grados and the PK1s share some sound qualities, but the Grados are a little more forward on the highs, though to me, it's not abrasive or sibilant. Others disagree. If you are looking for Grado-like sound in a portable phone, you might want to try the PK2s, which do not need an amp to get enough power, though you won't get the sound isolation of an IEM, of course.

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #519 of 1,068
So many nice things were said about the PK1. And they are right. It is a wonderful bud. I grabbed it comboed with the Minibox E+. They need an amp. Very insensitive lil' guy's. Descent balance. Well above average Bass performance. Their performance for the money is quite good. Neat Bud!!

Jan 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #521 of 1,068
+1 for yuin pk2's!

just got mine today, and right out of the box they sound awesome. excellent soundstage, detail and separation. they really do sound like full-size cans. more than enough accuracy to handle complex music that I like to listen to (prog rock, death metal).

I expect them to sound even better after a couple of days burn-in
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #523 of 1,068
I bought a pair of PK2s for my GF and she was absolutely stunned by the quality. She immediately threw out her iBuds. I listened to them and they blew my mind how good they sounded. Lots of bass energy, wonderful mids, and detail and clarity that rival my Grados. I can't believe I waited so long to purchase these.

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #524 of 1,068
My pk3's have a nice grado sound to them. So, pk2's would be even better? Don't make me go buy some pk2's. I am dieing to find out though. They would make an excellent work headphone.

EDIT: Is there that big of a difference between the pk3's and the pk2's? Is it worth that extra cash?

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #525 of 1,068
I happened to be traveling for work and was in Hong Kong for a week. I went to this well regarded headphone store in Mongkok looking for a set of PK2. They only had the PK3 and said the PK1 and PK2 were discontinued due to poor quality control.

Any truth to this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back