Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Feb 13, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #527 of 1,068
I know which store you're referring to, Mingo HMW's right? They started discontinuing their stock since August due to according to them "Poor warranty". I've had my PK1s since October with no problems whatsoever.

Feb 13, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #529 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know which store you're referring to, Mingo HMW's right? They started discontinuing their stock since August due to according to them "Poor warranty". I've had my PK1s since October with no problems whatsoever.

I don't recall the name of the store but it was on Sai Yeung Choi St and not Kingsound which i had been to before. Considering the extensive headphones they had on display and that you were allowed to test them all, i had no reason to think they were only saying that about the PK1 and PK2 because they didn't have stock.

I thought since the Yuins are made in China and i happened to be in HK, obviously the price would be less expensive than buying them here. I was looking for some inexpensive earbuds and ended up with some sennheisers from them.

Overall i was impressed with the store.

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #530 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by urabus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I happened to be traveling for work and was in Hong Kong for a week. I went to this well regarded headphone store in Mongkok looking for a set of PK2. They only had the PK3 and said the PK1 and PK2 were discontinued due to poor quality control.

Any truth to this?

This is absolutly wrong. Actually PKs' quality control is terrific, defect rate is very low.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Feb 13, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #531 of 1,068
Ya, it's Mingo HMW. What they said to me was that THEY as in the store were discontinuing them but not Yuin. They said that they wouldn't continue to sell them due to warranty issues.

Mingo does have a great store though, there's a wall of earbuds and IEMs (mostly cheap ones but still great) and if you ask them, there's also an extensive collection of more expensive IEMs that they'll let you try (Shure E500, ER4P, Super Fi 5. Pro) plus they have a good collection of full sized earphones. I miss Hong Kong LOL I wish there was such a store in Toronto.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #532 of 1,068
My PK1's are great so far, but then I've only used them sparingly, despite my love for their sound, comfort (comfortable to wear, though I'm not comfortable using them) and form factor. I also treat my PK1's with reverence reserved for holy objects.

As for my PK2, I had to stop using them as my portable phones, since the hardened cables near the phones make it easy for them to pop out of my ear with just the slightest upward nudge on the cable. I would say that the products are 'defective' right out of the factory - I'm guessing that's why Mingo stopped selling the PK1 and PK2 - people coming in for replacements after half a year of daily usage is bad for business. I wanted to get my PK2s replaced, but I have no idea how its warranty works, or if a replacement is even possible.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #533 of 1,068
YUIN has improved cable on June 2007. Those PKs manufactured after July 2008 is not that easy to becoming harden cable. In additon, Mingo is not under our distribution so we don't really know what happenned. However, YUIN currently sale pretty good at some other countries, such as Thailand, Australia and Korea, etc.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Feb 19, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #534 of 1,068
Well, after lots of reading of all of the praises for these Yuin Products I broke down and bought some. Currently at home I'm using Meier-Audio’s Corda Aria headphone amp/DAC, with a few sets of headphones. My favorite phone right now is my SR325i's. And they have a rightful place, but my situation has changed and the open phone is annoying my roommate. I broke down and ordered the PK1 today. I'm hopeful that the sound isolation should be better ((has to be right??)). I also have an iPod Touch...it will obviously power these, but probably not well. I couldn't afford two sets, or I would have got the PK2's as well. Will I be disappointed in these for mobile use? They will be pulling double duty mobile and home setup. Thanks in advance for any help.

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #535 of 1,068
You will be disappointed if you use the PK1s as your #1 pair of phones for mobile use, unless you use an amp. At home, you should be very happy. I suggest the donut pads, not the full pads. I really love the PK1s, and even though the Sony DAP can power them, unamped they are like an entirely different (meaning inferior) phone. Save your money and get a PK3 for mobile use, if you like the PK1s at home. PK3s need no amp, and now come in a Y-cord, I believe, but not sure. The J cord is a tad annoying, but okay with an extension cable.

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #536 of 1,068
Just checking in. Ordered pk2's from HD via ebay today.
cool.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #537 of 1,068
Well, so far the PK1's on my iTouch are amazing. Absolutely worth the money over the stock buds. I never thought that I could love a bud so much!!! These are amazingly detailed, the bass comes through very nice. I'm VERY happy with these, and I'm using them unamped due to short funds, I couldn't afford a home set (PK1's) and a travel set (PK2 or PK3). So I said why not just buy the best ones, otherwise I'd be upgrading often. I won't be back to my 'home' amp until Sunday night, but so far, very impressed with these things. I'm burning in with a random set of 3 tones: white, pink & brown noise. I hope this burns them in nicely.

Sorry about the novel....

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #538 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YUIN has improved cable on June 2007. Those PKs manufactured after July 2008 is not that easy to becoming harden cable. In additon, Mingo is not under our distribution so we don't really know what happenned. However, YUIN currently sale pretty good at some other countries, such as Thailand, Australia and Korea, etc.

i did a search but couldn't find any explanation for the cause of this cable hardening.
my PK1 shows this problem extending from the right driver. why does this happen, what are the long term effects (will it weaken and eventually break?), and are you replacing Yuins that have this problem?
it really is strange, and i can't figure out what would cause this.

Feb 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #539 of 1,068
Just got some pk2's and these are nice. I have been listening out of my ipod and work computer and out of the computer (with amplification) these things can really sing. Nice.I may have to build a cmoy to get the full experience.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #540 of 1,068
Just ordered PK2's from TTVJ. Should be here Wed. or Thur. I hate waiting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back