Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Oct 29, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #331 of 1,068
Finally ordered the PK2s after reading so much about these Yuins on the forums. Lets see how they are!

PS First post
k1000smile.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #332 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vextrek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally ordered the PK2s after reading so much about these Yuins on the forums. Lets see how they are!

PS First post
k1000smile.gif

Hi Vextrek. Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet!

Rick

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #333 of 1,068
I think I killed my PK2s! I have been using the can to store them in and I must have pinched the cable between the top of the can and the lid because now there are a couple of pinch marks in it, and the sound is lacking significantly, esp. in the bass. I am really bummed, I have only had them about two months. Does anybody know if I can get them recabled or something, and would it be cheaper than getting a new pair. I am very close to cutting the cable all the way through and twisting the ends back together to see if that brings the sound back...

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #337 of 1,068
I'm not either using the can to store my pk's, its too bulky, I prefer to use ety's zippered pouch, 3$ from ebay shipped, easily worth that.
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #340 of 1,068
Glad you like them. Haven't seen anyone really dislike them yet, but sooner or later...anyway, they are my first choice when I don't need really tight sound isolation. With an amp, they really are fantastic.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #341 of 1,068
Okay. Just received the PK-1. Now I had reviewed the PK2 in depth here.

The PK1s are definitely better.

They also scale up with a home amp very nicely.

Some people have asked what full size can they sound like. Personally, with the foamies on they sound like the AKG 501 - great midrange.

These are very, very musical. To compare them to the Corssroads XB3, I'd say that the yuins are much more musical. The Crossroads have better (at least punchier) bass and is even a little clearer/more detailed in some of the midrange - but it's not nearly as organic and musical as the Yuin and doesn't come close to the Yuin's headstage. (For the record I do really like the Crossroads.)

That said, I had kind of hoped that the Yuin would rival full size cans to the point of making me consider giving them up. That's not going to happen. As good as the PK1 is, for the same price there are some AKG 501s on the for sale forums and although they are bigger they are miles ahead.

PK1 vs MS-1 would probably be closer. I'd prefer the PK-1 to the SR-125 (really don't like that can though) but would prefer the SR-225 to the PK-1.

Of course, even comparing an earbud to these speaks volumes about the pk1!

-

edit (defined what kind of bass, mentioned Yuin's headstage and compared Yuin to Grados).

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #342 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay. Just received the PK-1. Now I had reviewed the PK2 in depth here.

The PK1s are definitely better.

They also scale up with a home amp very nicely.

Some people have asked what full size can they sound like. Personally, with the foamies on they sound like the AKG 501 - great midrange.

These are very, very musical. To compare them to the Corssroads XB3, I'd say that the yuins are much more musical. The XB3 has better bass and is even a little clearer in some of the midrange - but it's not nearly as organic and musical as the Yuin.

That said I had kind of hoped that the Yuin would rival full size cans to the point of making me consider giving them up. That's not going to happen. As good as the PK1 is for the same price there are some AKG 501s on the for sale forums and although they are bigger they are miles ahead.

Agree, PK1s are great, but for portable use or when I don't want something on my head. I still favor the SR-80s. Never tried the 501s. Maybe time for a new direction? Naw. I'm good. I bought the RP21s and never used them, so no need to spend any more.

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #343 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you like them. Haven't seen anyone really dislike them yet, but sooner or later...anyway, they are my first choice when I don't need really tight sound isolation. With an amp, they really are fantastic.

I completely agree. I got them yesterday afternoon so I haven't had a great deal of time to play with them. I tried them unamped and they weren't as impressive as they were when driven by my Headsix. I'm going to use them tonight with my Darkvoice just to check that out. I also have to burn them in still. I have hope that they'll sound even better soon.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #344 of 1,068
Has anyone tried PK1's unamped with an iAudio7? Certainly an amp would be better than not, but supposedly the i7 has a more powerful amp than most DAP's. I'm pleased with my PK2's and the i7, but am of course tempted by the PK1's. Just not sure that I want to start using an amp at work....

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #345 of 1,068
Word of advice for anyone looking to buy PK1's un-amped forget about it!!! I bought the PK1's for me and PK2's for my wife internding on using the PK1's un-amped and they sound like crap on a Ipod. I was competely disapointed until i heard them hooked up to my Onkyo pre-amp i was amazed the sound is amazing! I ordered a Minibox-E hoping it will sound the same all i can do is hope
smily_headphones1.gif
PK2's sound good but not anywhere near the PK1's amped.

JMO
Thanks Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back