Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Mar 9, 2007 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,068

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
OK both the pk1 and pk2 but must own one or both of them. My PK1 with the Little Dot II++ tube amp sound just fantastic and better than many full size headphones that I have owned. The PK1 are so very small and ultra light and have a very big sound with the full spectrum of sound.

The only thing that confuses me is the ohm-age that says 150+20. What does that mean. LOL

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 1,068
I listened to my Pk2 for a bit last night, and I'm pretty sure they're a keeper. Had them burning in with pink noise overnight on Nankai's advice, and they'll get more time today.

The J-cord on my Pk2 was bothering me so I turned it into a pseudo Y-cord with black electrical tape. Looks funny, but is much more convenient
580smile.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 1,068
Got my Pk2 last night and I love them. I was going to sell them because I bought another pair of KSC75 for my running needs, but after listening to them last night I think they're going to be sticking around
eggosmile.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 1,068
No appreciation?.... they sound so GOOD people are speachless
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Lou has actually kept them for a week, thats gotta be worth something
tongue.gif

No need to mod perfection... just add a little bass boost/EQ on my PPA and soak up the tunes. Those who amp adequately will be rewarded.

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 1,068
How much would I have to spend on amp to get a very very good sound out of the PK1s?

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 1,068
I got my PK1 earlier this week and...

Wow.
blink.gif

Wow.
blink.gif

Wow.
blink.gif

Wow.
blink.gif

Amazing earphones. Worth every penny, and then some. With an Entech 205.2 and Perreaux SXH1, I'm actually getting a lot of bass.
basshead.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What will I have to spend on amp to get a very very good sound out of the PK1s?

Sure... my keys for budget PK1 synnergy
icon10.gif

Take your basic CMOY...
Power it with two 9V cells, 470uFd, 25V caps wire them in series and virtual ground the node between the cells. Read the tangent page and the segment on virtual grounding. This is the same power scheme used in the $375 RA1, although the RA1 uses tiny power caps.

Moderately high gain ~7-10, this will vary though depending on the output strength of your source.

Bypass the R5 resistor.

Skip any input filter capacitance if at all possible. This will vary depending on the OP amp and the DC output of your source. Always measure the DC offset of your amp though before plugging in your cans, just to play it safe.

Socket the OP amp and roll OP amps to taste. I like the OPA2107, but preferences can vary greatly. I'm still experimenting with OP amps myself, there are so many to choose from. I'd like the bass kick of the 2107, but with a more open / spacious sound. The 2107 sounds a little more closed in... IMHO.

Stay away from low bitrate MP3, the PK1 will punish those who don't
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by GChow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my PK1 earlier this week and...

Wow.
blink.gif

Wow.
blink.gif

Wow.
blink.gif

Wow.
blink.gif

Amazing earphones. Worth every penny, and then some. With an Entech 205.2 and Perreaux SXH1, I'm actually getting a lot of bass.
basshead.gif

I cant wait to try my PK1 with my entech 502. I just sent it to another member to repair and mod.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
... I just hope I didn't screw it up beyond repair
confused.gif
and the other member can revive it
frown.gif
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay away from low bitrate MP3, the PK1 will punish those who don't
icon10.gif

Some of my MP3s are 192kbps. Do you think that the PK1 will punish those?

Mar 10, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 1,068
I am loving my PK2. I'm listening to mine with Radio Shack pads on my shuffle and I'm amazed by the treble extension and clarity these phones have. Very big sound from a small pair of phones.

Mar 10, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 1,068
Besides superb sound quality for their prices, Yuin still have much to learn in order to maximize their potential in global markets. For example, looking at their package design I am sure they aim high. All are there; pricey materials, labor intensive box and jacket, and ample accessories. Their packaging is costly but it does not provide much preferable effects. Call it cross-cultural issue or whatever but this need to be dealt with.

One good news is they actually listen to customers and respond fast. Switching Pk2 to "Y" cord clearly shows that. If this continues, our feedbacks and suggestions here will help Yuin make even better phones so, keep it coming, people.

Yuin means "heavenly sounds". I am pleased to say they do live up to their name.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #14 of 1,068
How were the waiting times after ordering for you guys? How long did it take you to get em'.

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #15 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much would I have to spend on amp to get a very very good sound out of the PK1s?

My absolute favorite amp with the PK1 is the Go-Vibe V6 with AD8397/AD825 opamps, run at 12V. Unfortunately, the Go-Vibe V6 with those opamps are only available used at this point. I'm waiting for a Go-Vibe V6 with AD8620/10 opamps that I ordered to arrive to see how it compares. But, the Go-Vibe V6 I've got with the PK1 produces no less than what I would describe as an amazing sound. Price of a Go-Vibe V6 with shipping: $105. With a 12V PSU for stationary listening: $130-ish. Along with the quality/price of the PK1, that's not a lot of money for that good a sound. With the GV V6 change in opamps to AD8620/10, you may find the GV V6 with the first opamps (AD8397/AD825) coming up on the FS Forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back