Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jun 8, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #106 of 1,068
Two weeks ago when my ATH-EC7 earbuds developed a short in the left ear I panicked. They were under warranty, but I didn't really want to be listening to Apple earbuds (or full size cans) until they got back...

Ordered a set of Yuin PK2 and Sony MDR-E888 based on feedback in these and other forums as good earbuds for less $$$ than something like the ATH-CM7Ti.

Received both the same day. I'm sitting here with my Yuins and the Sony's are on their way back. For the money, these are the best earbuds I've tried. I prefer the overall sound of my ATH-EC7, but they're $40 more. I just hope they'll increase the cord length a bit in future versions. These are *just* barely long enough to use.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #108 of 1,068
wow... Just got my PK2s in the mail. I have to say, believe the hype. Initial impressions:

The packaging looks like it cost more than the headphones did
tongue.gif
(Both a testament to how cool looking the packaging is and how much the PK2s look like stock buds from a cheap CD player from the late 90s) However, what really matters is the sound, and these things most certainly have it. They sound surprisingly open and similar to Grados on the mids and highs. The bass is slightly less tight, but its certainly there. I never thought earbuds could sound good, let alone this good. They are also quite comfortable, making them a great alternative to IEMs.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #110 of 1,068
Sweet Zombie Jesus, these PK-1 sound great! I am listening to them straight out of my iPod because my SR-71 is gone in Limbo right now. I hope I get it back soon, but for now I will have to listen to these un-amped.

I have never heard an ear-bud like this. I am having a hard time believing my ears right now. How is this possible? The cheapest-looking most skimpy-wired, plain-jane buds sound better than I could imagine an ear-bud sounding. Good bass, nice mids, highs are a little recessed, but I expect that to improve. Things are a little out of control from top to bottom, but I do expect improvements. This is the first 60 seconds of use. I like to give things time before I judge, but I wanted to post my immediate impressions because these are immediately satisfying buds.

Which brings me to the next point: they actually need burn-in! Is that possible? Can an ear-bud require burn in? But they do indeed sound like good headphones pre-burn-in. I imagine they will open up. That things will tighten a little and the highs will lose their constriction. I can tell. I can hear the potential.

This is one of the greatest audio purchases I have ever made.

Great sound on the go in a tiny, incredibly comfortable, inconspicuous package.

I can't wait to get my SR-71 back so I can get this great transportable rig together.

Now, before I get ahead of myself (too late) I must say that these sound incredible FOR AN EARBUD. This is a different scale than I apply to my HD600 and Omega II. They still have that odd, ear-budness to them. A flatness in the soundstage, some hollowness and decreased scale. But nothing like the other earbuds out there.

Still. They sound un-freaking-believable. And they are 1/20th the cost of Omega II.

Also, there is the issue of amping. The weaknesses/ho-hum qualities of these buds could very well be alleviated by appropriate amping (I hope my SR-71 is returned soon...).

Anyway, I am a big fan. BIG FAN! Worth every penny for a person on the go looking for a comfortable, convenient, unobtrusive, great sounding portable headphone, ear-bud or not. I wouldn't recommend them as your ONLY pair of headphones. But I think they should be required for someone looking for a low-profile portable.

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #112 of 1,068
laxx, how does meizu M6 handle PK1's with classical music? Does the volume level get high enough, let's say in a quiet room? And how is rock music in noisier environments?

And could you compare the sound of E500 and PK1 with M6 without an amp.

Thanks

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #114 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by qscq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
laxx, how does meizu M6 handle PK1's with classical music? Does the volume level get high enough, let's say in a quiet room? And how is rock music in noisier environments?

And could you compare the sound of E500 and PK1 with M6 without an amp.

Thanks

I haven't listened to my e500's for over a month now. The sound signature isn't for me. The closest I got to enjoyign the e500's with the M6 was with the Phase Corrected Equilizer set to 2. It was a night and day difference with the e500's.

The Pk1's on the other hand are great. I haven't heard them amped from the M6 yet, so I can't tell you if that helps. Everyone in this thread will tell you that the Pk1's won't produce low bass, and I have to agree. There's something very unsatisfying about that, so I use a little bassboost to trick my own mind. =T It's actually quite enjoyable like that.

Jun 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #115 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't listened to my e500's for over a month now. The sound signature isn't for me. The closest I got to enjoyign the e500's with the M6 was with the Phase Corrected Equilizer set to 2. It was a night and day difference with the e500's.

The Pk1's on the other hand are great. I haven't heard them amped from the M6 yet, so I can't tell you if that helps. Everyone in this thread will tell you that the Pk1's won't produce low bass, and I have to agree. There's something very unsatisfying about that, so I use a little bassboost to trick my own mind. =T It's actually quite enjoyable like that.

So what differences make PK1 better sounding than E500 in your opinion?
And how does M6 drive PK1's? M6 can "barely" drive sr60's with classical music, I hope that PK1 is at least as easy to drive as sr60 and sounds better.

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: I noticed Phase corrected equalizer do wonders for some songs with shure E4 too. I just don't like altering the sound for all the time for different songs.

Jun 14, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #116 of 1,068
I too am really enjoying the PK1s, but I have a question...

How do you get them into the little round container they came in? I took them out without noticing, and now can't see an easy way to get them back in. I don't want to twist the wire too hard...

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #117 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How do you get them into the little round container they came in? I took them out without noticing, and now can't see an easy way to get them back in. I don't want to twist the wire too hard...

I think the container is too tight of a fit for day to day use. I use another small plastic case that I can put them into much faster (an empty 3M electrical tape case).

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #118 of 1,068
Quote:

tightly wrap them around the top of two or three fingers and just put them in there, that is what I do.

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #119 of 1,068
Quote:

I have a pair of Sennheiser MX500's so I switched cases and use the winding case that came with the MX500's for the PK-2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back