Yuin G1A and G2A
Mar 24, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #47 of 154
Review of GS1A and GS2A

Disclaimer: The two phones were provided to me for review by Head-Direct.com.

Yuin has been the king of the ear bud on Head-Fi, if not among the general public, for a few years now. The PK1/PK2/PK3 lineup got it started, then along came the OK line, with the addition of a canal phone option. I’ve owned all three PKs, and the OK3, and always found the SQ excellent, though I am one of a group who prefer the PK3s over the more expensive PK2s. The OK3s also were a very enjoyable, high-quality bud. I had fit issues with the OK3s, however, as they are larger (thicker?) than the PKs, and long-term wear hurt my ears. Also, the canal phone option just didn’t work for me (and others who posted about the OKs).

In 2008, Yuin released some clip-on phones, a la Koss Ksc75s. The G1 ($149.95) and G2 ($49.95) looked pretty much like the same phone. Now, Yuin has released an “updated” version of the originals, with a more “balanced” sound (improved highs and lows, is the more detailed explanation). I never heard the originals, but the latest iterations are very good portable phones, especially if you don’t mind/favor clip-on styling.

G1A ($149.95)
Specifications (from Head-Direct.com)
Freqency: 20Hz to 24kHz
Impedance 150 Ohms
Sensitivity: 105 db
Max input voltage: 1000mv

G2A ($49.95)
Specifications (from Head-Direct.com)
Freqency: 20Hz to 20kHz
Impedance 60 Ohms
Sensitivity: 110 db
Max input voltage: 500mv

Comfort/fit.
Much like the Ksc75s, the G1A/G2A fit by being hung on your ears … no head-bands, no in-ear discomfort, no “fit” issues (well, more on that later). They are called clip-ons, but there is no true clip action involved, just a curved bit of plastic that can be “molded” (mainly made wider by bending) to fit more comfortably.

I have the Ksc75s (currently un-modded, no volume control) on hand, and the Yuins, with their anodized aluminum, are a bit heavier than the featherweight 75s, but hardly heavy. They do feel less airy (more closed), because they are basically closed off with anodized aluminum, while the 75s seem to allow more air flow. As a result, my ears got a little warmed up by the Yuins, while the 75s were just cooler, literally, to wear.

No matter, the G1A/G2A are pretty comfortable (if you are good with clip-on phones). Both phones come with an extra set of pads. Build quality seems strong enough, and the rubbery cable is flexible and long enough. Almost seems like it might be the identical PK3 cable, the one on the latest models (Y-cord, not the older J-cord).

Naturally, if you are planning on wearing these on noisy commuter busses/trains, etc., they do not isolate at all. On the other hand, if you need to hear the phone ring, etc., they are like open phones, though not even as isolating as those because the phones just rest on your ears, not cover them with any pressure. Sound leakage is probably about the same as any other open phone, though the backs are solid, so maybe a little less than say the Ksc75s, which have air holes in the backs/shells.

Note: Like Miguel, I really am not a fan of so-called clip-on headphones. My experience with the Ksc75s is that they feel like they are always about to fall off or something. Unstable? Loose? Same with the Yuins. I only wish Yuin had chosen an over-the-head, foldable design like the Senn PX100. I also like the ear pads pressing even slightly on my ears, which clip-ons can’t do.

Sound
Source-wise, I wanted to keep it simple, so I used my Zune80 with the FiiO E3 via HP out. I wanted to use the same amp that comes with the Yuins if you order them from head-Direct.

I used pink noise and music to burn both phones in past 100 hours.

I first listened to both without an amp, and as expected, the G1A is very hard to drive, as I had to use the max “20” setting on the Zune and it was still not all that loud. But it was a nice, full sound, bass somewhat recessed, overall not bad at all. However, I would not be happy using the G1A without an amp.

Using the same song, The Way You Look Tonight from Sinatra’s Nothing but the Best CD, the mids/vocals were much more upfront with the G2As (as was the soundstage), and there was plenty of volume, though the track sound a bit rougher, a little more grainy, with the less expensive G2As.

At that point, I decided all listening would be via the E3 and the Zune HP out. In that vein, even with the E3 in play, the G1As had some trouble delivering enough volume, depending on the track. Not that it wasn’t enough, but there was no danger of damaging your hearing with the E3 and the G1As (that’s a good thing, I would say). I had to set the volume on the Zune to 17-18, which is only two ticks from max.

Songs used for the comparisons (all 256k/MP3).
The Way You Look Tonight, Frank Sinatra, Nothing But the Best
Lonestar, Norah Jones, Come Away with Me
Take Five, Dave Brubeck Quartet, CBS Jazz Sampler, Vol. 1
Invaders Must Die, The Prodigy, Invaders Must Die
Poco Allegretto, Anne Sophie Von Otter, Brahms Symphony #3
The Seed 2.0, The Roots, Phrenology

As AntonyFirst noted in his initial review back in 2008 of the G1, the G1As sound their best on CDs with high production values. Bad mixes/older music just doesn’t fare well on the G1As. As well as comparing the G1A with the G2A, I also compared both with the Grado SR-80s, the only other over the ear phones I own (apart from the Koss Ksc75s).

I also agree with Miguel that both the G1A or the G2A will have fans, and I don’t find the SQ gap between the two phones really worth the $100 price difference, though based purely on SQ, I still prefer the G1A to the G2A.

I initially compared the G1A to the Grados, which have bowl pads and the electrical tape bass mod. The Grados are, well, Grados, and not really cut out for classical music. On the classical piece, the G1As delivered a smooth, clear sound, as the violins and woodwinds sounded somewhat more realistic. And I had to bump up the volume on the G1A a bit to get the same level as the Grados. Also, the Grados perform much better without an amp.

Moving to the other genres, the Grados, to my ears, were the better phones. (note: The Grados are still $90-$99, I believe, which is what I paid for them 7 years ago). On the Brubeck track, the Yuins delivered a smooth sound, wide soundstage. Cymbals were spot on, and the G1As sounded very good, but the Grados sounded better, delivering a richer listening experience across the instrumentation of the classic jazz track.

When I put on the Roots, the Grados again were on balance more impressive, though I will say the mids on the Yuins were clearer, and more upfront, while the bass on the Grados sounded fuller, more satisfying. Remember, I have owned the Grados for 7 years (well burned in), and the tape mod does kick up the stock bass a notch.

Moving to the G2A, I just felt the sound was somewhat grainy compared to the G1A, and the phones were not quite as smooth as their more expensive siblings. Having said that,
the lows, highs and detail are worth the $50 investment.

Neither of the Yuins are bass monsters, delivering tight, accurate bass, but no subwoofer thumping going on as far as I could hear. Something more along the lines of the Phonak PFEs than the Senn IE8s or Westone 3s. I didn’t mess with the EQ at all, so they may be tweaked if one is so inclined.

In the end, the G1A price is perhaps a little high, considering that the Grados, to my ears, were the better performer. Having said that, I will never be found listening to the Grados in a public place, so the G1As or G2As are the better choice for listening outside the house when isolation isn’t a priority. In other words, the smaller “footprint” is worth something for the G1As over the Grados.

If the Yuins were closer to an $89-$99 price point, I think they would be an excellent bargain.

Of course, my dislike for clip-on phones in terms of fit may bias me against the Yuins SQ-wise. I tried my best not to let that interfere with my listening. It just seems like it takes me a few minutes every time to get them on right - a hassle in my view (I also wear glasses, so maybe that’s it). And they always feel like they are falling off (no doubt more perception than reality). The first thing I would do if I bought them is follow HiFlight’s lead and mod them into over-the-head phones, much like the Ksc75 mod (and I intend to do that ASAP).

Conclusion:
The G2A represents the best value of the two new Yuin phones, but the G1A does sound very good when paired with an amp, especially a higher quality amp than the E3. In fact, when I moved to the iBasso T4, the G1A seemed to distance itself from the G2A a little more. Maybe not enough to justify the $100 price difference, but still, the G1As responded to the tiny T4, more than the E3, for sure (of course, that is an $8 amp vs. a $109 amp).

So I would rate the G2A as the better value, the G1A as the better phone. No surprise there. And since I never heard the original G1/G2 phones, I can only believe that these new iterations are improvements over the original pair.

Final note: (Seems like AntonyFirst would be the perfect candidate to review these phones, since he did review the first release.)

UPDATE!
I blew it, sort of. Today, I listened to an hour or so of the T4/G1A combo, and this is really where I should have been all along. The E3 may boost the volume, but the G1As really cry out for a quality amp, even one on the humble level of the T4. The overall presentation sounded much more enveloping, and the difference with the T4 is very obvious, depending on the track, of course. And the G2A also benefits greatly with a higher quality amp, but I agree with HiFlight in that the soundstage is much more closed with the G2A. To me, the G1A is a more refined sound, and the price difference may be justified after all, depending on your budget/needs of course.

So my advice, if you do try/get the G1A, make sure you have a decent, warm amp to pair it with, or it may not sound it's worth the price. I am also looking forward to getting that headband, so I can transform the clips to on-ear phones. It's driving me nuts, the feeling that they are gonna fall off any second (as silly as that sounds). But that's just a personal thing, as others have noted they really like the clip style.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #49 of 154
tstarn06, so the G2A is better than Ksc75? If so, how?

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #50 of 154
Didn't do a direct comparison, but maybe I should. Of course, you can Kramer mod the 75s, but can't really change the G2A. Let me take a few minutes this afternoon. However, my 75s are stock, no mod yet. Just got them in fact, so not even really burned in much. But I will check it out.

Mar 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #51 of 154
Wow, I must be the only person who actually likes earclip style headphones!!!
Thanks for adding all the impressions into one post, so I don't have to troll around. Nice input.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #53 of 154
Today I did a "quick and dirty" follow up by comparing my "Kramer Modded" Koss KSC35 w/ the Yuin G2A. I used:

- 160 Gb iPod Classic filled w/ Apple Lossless Files
- Dr. Xin Reference Amp w/ a C5 board
- ALO Six Shooter line out dock
- Spyro Gyra Fast Forward CD: Tower of Babel

I found both very easy to drive, left the volume indicator at 10 o'clock. I found the G2A to have an airer presentation and a wider soundstage than the KSC35. On the other hand I found the KSC35 to be more forward and lacking a bit in detail as compared with the G2A.

Based on the reviews posted by others I will re-visit the G1A's and will compare w/ the G2A again.

Late Addition (3/24/09):

I do not hear any graininess out of the G2A. The Yuin's do not IMO leak a lot of sounds, my spouse could not hear sounds coming out of the Yuin until her face was about a foot away. One interesting thing is that in my sample the cable on the G1A is about 6 inches longer than the G2A. Another thing of interest to some may be that the plug on the Yuin's is straight in versus the elbow used in the Koss, both work well and I am just mentioning the difference.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #54 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiFlight created one a few posts higher.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5547557-post42.html

Here is a link to the phones that I used for the mod. They are only $1.99 ea. and the Yuins snap right in without modification.

Parts Express:*Mini Headphones

As there are no changes made to the Yuins, you can re-attach the clips at any time.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #56 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a link to the phones that I used for the mod. They are only $1.99 ea. and the Yuins snap right in without modification.

Parts Express:*Mini Headphones

As there are no changes made to the Yuins, you can re-attach the clips at any time.

bah 1.99 + 20$ shipping ????

canadia is not that far

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #57 of 154
Miguel and tstarn06, thanks for your impressions. I was seriously considering G1/G2 when they first came out but went with the PX100 instead cuz I couldn't find any credible reviews on them back then. I wonder if it's worth the upgrade to G1A/G2A over PX100 now.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #58 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06, so the G2A is better than Ksc75? If so, how?

Short answer, the G2A does outperform the 75s, but not sure if it's $35 worth. The Ksc75s didn't get their rep for nothing. Using the T4/Touch LOD setup, the G2A treble is less harsh, delivering a smoother, more ear-pleasing overall sound. Bass on the 75s is a little deeper (T4 bas boost was on), sort of overshadowing the mids a bit, which is not a problem with the G2A. Without an amp and with the Ksc75s unmodded (haven't gotten around to it yet), I'd say the G2As are a much better phone, and worth the upgrade. The 75 bass is somewhat anemic on the Touch (no EQ), and the G2A offers more balance, and the mids are up front, as noted in the other review.

Again, this comparison is based on an unmodded Ksc75, so not sure if it's a fair playing field. I am going to get to that one of these days, but I have so many other things to do. I do think the G2A is a very good value, and doesn't require any drilling/modding (other than the headband, in my case) in order to take it to another level. Again, much depends on your budget, mod skills, etc. Hope this helps. Only you can really decide which lower-cost clip on works best for your ears.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #59 of 154
Thanks for your splurb, tstarn. Great review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back