Yu9 Audio - U554 & U556 - A single BA powerhouse
Apr 17, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #61 of 127
Properly addicted to these now.

Happy to hear you're having a bit more luck with the fit.

For one, these fishies sound like they image real well, if @ian91 ’s impressions are anything to go by, and that is not a forte of the Timeless.

They have some of the most coherent imaging I've heard. It isn't the largest stage but everything hangs in space where it should and the directional cues are pin point. It's a different experience to their 4B by the way, I found the 4B has a wide but flat image on the horizontal plane with little front-back depth while these are more dimensional and more intimate which adds to the musicality IMO. I hope yours are released soon and swim quickly to your doorstep.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #62 of 127

I put the U-556 in for a warmer and more relaxed weekend listen. Ulf Wakenius on guitar is just...perfect IMO, enough tactility and body to string plucks and enough speed to reveal the details between the notes. If I had to set a benchmark for my favourite tuning to last out my days with, this would be it. To use an odd analogy the U-554 lies somewhere between the head and the heart and the U-556 is right there in the chest, with a more emotive presentation that never offends.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #63 of 127
I found the 4B has a wide but flat image on the horizontal plane with little front-back depth

This actually describes the Timeless to a T. The 4B doesn’t have very much depth either but it’s noticeably better than the Timeless as it is.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #64 of 127

Tonight listening on the U-556, more strings... :k701smile:

Apr 25, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #65 of 127
Dang, 116Ω impedance on the U-556. Looks interesting. I've been using my ER3XRs forever now, and these have a pretty similar FR. A Sonion take on that might be worth checking out. How is the bass texture specifically on this set? The Legend tends to be a bit softer than ideal.

Edit: Also, is there any driver venting? These deep insert IEMs can get uncomfortable after a while.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #66 of 127
Dang, 116Ω impedance on the U-556. Looks interesting. I've been using my ER3XRs forever now, and these have a pretty similar FR. A Sonion take on that might be worth checking out. How is the bass texture specifically on this set? The Legend tends to be a bit softer than ideal.

Edit: Also, is there any driver venting? These deep insert IEMs can get uncomfortable after a while.

Bass texture is better than on Legend but obviously much less quantity. Probably equal extension on both sets.

There is driver venting and there's minimal pressure build up for me :)

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #67 of 127
How's the isolation on these, are they comparable to Etys?

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #68 of 127
How's the isolation on these, are they comparable to Etys?

Isolation is good but not as significant as Ety (having tried a full resin Ety clone). Mainly because there is a single vent that relieves pressure and dramatically improves comfort, for me at least. Still good enough to wear on the train for me and in noisy environments.

Apr 29, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #69 of 127
The fishies are finally here! Was in a rush but couldn’t resist cramming them in my ears for a quick whirl. First impressions: how in blazes does a 1BA do this??

They sure aren’t Etys, but could quite conceivably be an Ety-head’s (or at least my) idea of fun. Smoother, airier, more dimensional. Tonally very balanced, for me at least. Surprisingly capable sub bass, good texture and detail down low. Upper treble extends well. Good imaging and layering for an iem. Very clean and controlled throughout. Detailed but not at the expense of musicality.

People always say a single BA is like a short blanket, but with this one it’s hard to tell what this supposedly short blanket doesn’t actually cover. Can’t wait to spend more time with them.

Apr 29, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #70 of 127
The fishies are finally here! Was in a rush but couldn’t resist cramming them in my ears for a quick whirl. First impressions: how in blazes does a 1BA do this??

They sure aren’t Etys, but could quite conceivably be an Ety-head’s (or at least my) idea of fun. Smoother, airier, more dimensional. Tonally very balanced, for me at least. Surprisingly capable sub bass, good texture and detail down low. Upper treble extends well. Good imaging and layering for an iem. Very clean and controlled throughout. Detailed but not at the expense of musicality.

People always say a single BA is like a short blanket, but with this one it’s hard to tell what this supposedly short blanket doesn’t actually cover. Can’t wait to spend more time with them.

Glad you're impressed and looking forward to hearing more when you've become acclimatised. I just love how the U-554 layers everything. Regardless of how busy, everything has its place and depth on the stage. Dimensional is the key word!

May 2, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #71 of 127
First impressions still stand - smooth, airy, dimensional. They’re a capable, musical set for anyone into DF tuning. Now for some comparisons.

I perceive the U-554’s treble as being less aggressive than that of the ER4B/S/SR, in that its lower treble is less prominent, tilting the balance towards the upper treble for presence (though the ER4 isn’t actually “bright” when driven well - it just needs a good bit of power to push out the bass and mids, but I digress).

So anyway, compared with the ER4, the Yu9 feels more open and spacious. Hi hats, tambourines etc are less up front in the mix, even though they still have good definition and air. No sizzle, no sibilance. Altogether less fatiguing for long sessions.

The ER4 is much more revealing (in particular the 4B and 4S - the 4SR manages to be smoother and very detailed) and the Yu9 is simply smoother than all of them, while still keeping it clean and fast. Depending on what you’re looking for, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing - the Yu9 is also the more fluid, more musical listen, although it will still show up bad editing when it needs to.

The mids are on point and the bass is textured and well extended but I’m focusing so much on the treble because that’s the key area where - to my ears at least - they depart from the Etys and stand out. IIRC @ian91 described them as super-/supra-natural and I concur. Almost a bit like HDR in photography which when applied tastefully can make an image look hyperreal. It shimmers rather than sizzles, and the amount of sonic information it carries is pretty addictive. Probably helps with the imaging as well.

- Fit is iffy at best for me. I have no problems with the er4sr but I'm struggling a bit with these, and I'm not quite sure why. The combination of deep fit and over-ear wire may be making a bit too many assumptions about the wearer's ear anatomy.

I actually like how the shells look and feel in hand - better than the product shots - but is the entire stem meant to go in the ear canal so that it rests on the concha? Or do they just kind of float above it? I’ve never actually had any trouble with the ER4 sticks either, in all the years I’ve used them, but these are… another kettle of fish.

Btw tried all the tips in the package as well as Ety triple and double flanges, Klipsch oval double flanges (default tips for all my Etys, apparently hard to get these days). I get the deepest insertion and best treble with the smaller Ety triple flanges but they start hurting before long and I lose too much bass anyway. Yu9’s tips are more comfortable and strike a good sonic compromise. Currently switching between their DIY double flanges and the Ety ones and not finding much to separate the two.

May 2, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #72 of 127
I’ve used them, but these are… another kettle of fish.

Haha :D

I actually like how the shells look and feel in hand - better than the product shots - but is the entire stem meant to go in the ear canal so that it rests on the concha? Or do they just kind of float above it?

Mine float further out from the base of the concha bowl. Not stupidly far away but not flush and no way could I get them to sit that way without significant pain. They are still the most minimalist IEM I've encountered, very light and secure.

Currently switching between their DIY double flanges and the Ety ones and not finding much to separate the two.

Likewise, dual flange (soft Ety silicone, in my case) is my preferred tip after experimenting with most of Ety have to offer (even the thin beige foams). Excellent seal and depth and very little resonance.

I think the niche hit with the 554, as a musical 'reference' in this price bracket is pretty unique and it's reassuring to see it competes in most ways with the market standard.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #73 of 127
They are still the most minimalist IEM I've encountered, very light and secure.

I hear your ER4B wants a word with you :wink:

But yeah, I know what you mean. I’m digging the U-554’s aesthetic way more than I thought I would. Mine fit very securely too, but I wish they didn’t have to float the way they do.

May 4, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #74 of 127
Great impressions. I hesitated to call them fun cause that word is so often used to describe exaggerated tunings, but it's pretty spot-on really. Shimmering, too.
but is the entire stem meant to go in the ear canal so that it rests on the concha?
The shape kinda seems to suggest that, I guess, but I'm not getting that far either. For me the flat side of (the blue part of) the iem body sits about flush with the tip of the tragus, but that still leaves a fair bit of space between the iem base and the concha. I'm getting proper bass and treble though, and it's deep enough to avoid sideways pull from the over-ear cable (had some trouble with that initially), so hey, works for me.
I think the niche hit with the 554, as a musical 'reference' in this price bracket is pretty unique and it's reassuring to see it competes in most ways with the market standard.
Yeah, they're something special alright. They really deserve some more attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back