Yu9 Audio - U554 & U556 - A single BA powerhouse
Jun 20, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #92 of 127
I'm pretty sure I have settled on getting both the U-556 and the er4b. For those who have the er4b, did you choose s or p when ordering and does anyone know the difference? I'd like to chose the option that is closest in tonality and technicalities to the original ety er4b.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #93 of 127
I'm pretty sure I have settled on getting both the U-556 and the er4b. For those who have the er4b, did you choose s or p when ordering and does anyone know the difference? I'd like to chose the option that is closest in tonality and technicalities to the original ety er4b.

See graph below. Red = ER4P, Blue = ER4S, Green = ER4B.

The P model has a lower impedance providing greater flexibility to use portable amps, it's also not as bright as the other two models.

I have two of the ER4B models (green line). It's a nice set with incredible resolution but quite a bright and thin sound and sensitive to insertion depth. I typically use them with Comply TSX-100 to soften the highs.

S39a52a74896f44b8901d12aa0a9e16273.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #94 of 127

The P model has a lower impedance providing greater flexibility to use portable amps, it's also not as bright as the other two models.

I have two of the ER4B models (green line). It's a nice set with incredible resolution but quite a brittle sound that's and very sensitive to insertion depth. I typically use them with Comply TSX-100 to soften the highs.

When you ordered did you just write "b" in the message box?

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #95 of 127
When you ordered did you just write "b" in the message box?

Yep and then I just messaged the store front to reinforce it.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #96 of 127
Yep and then I just messaged the store front to reinforce it.
Awesome. Thanks I'll probably be purchasing this week.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #97 of 127
Awesome. Thanks I'll probably be purchasing this week.

The ER4B should match quite well with the MD x Cavalli hybrid amp you have. Anything to give it an organic slant.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #98 of 127

I have two of the ER4B models (green line). It's a nice set with incredible resolution but quite a bright and thin sound and sensitive to insertion depth. I typically use them with Comply TSX-100 to soften the highs.

Thanks for clarifying this! I've got the P model to use with my phone but it's good to know I made the right choice to suit my preferences.

Jun 28, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #99 of 127
So I've received mine and done some limited listening on them as well.

Source and 2pin connectors: I have a slight source problem, they come with single-ended and the most powerful thing I have right now is Qudelix 5K, which is 80W on single ended. It's around 70-80% still, for a comfortable listening volume. Tried to do balance, but one thing to know is that most cheap cables (for balanced) won't fit these, as the rounded 2-pin insertion point is too thick and gets in the way of insertion. My TRN T2 for 2.5mm had that problem. It just barely goes in and works, but is prone to disconnecting, so not really an option unless you wanna file down the plastic around connectors... which is a lot of work.

Impressions: Pretty good. Imaging is the best I've listened to, I think. The positioning of instruments, etc. "Comfortably Numb" was a great listen. Can't ask for more details, etc. everything works. The bass is enough as well. Overall I'm satisfied. I was looking for the etymotic experience out of curiosity, and I got what I was looking for. The only thing I'm wondering is how different the sound is gonna be with more power.

Be careful with the fit - the triple-flange eartips caused some pressure thing in my right ear, and it hurt a few days afterward. Definitely start with foams, and then move up from those. I'm using mine with foams only, and it works great. The deep insertion is not that big of an issue, but it's an extra hassle you have to go through. Can't wear them too long, because the ears get sensitive to the deep insertion after a while. But I've heard that that fatigue goes away with time.

I don't have etys to compare them with, and others have covered the pros&cons above better than I ever could. With my limited experience with IEMs. But that's my 2 cents, if I notice anything else then I'll be sure to follow up my impressions. They're best for jazz, classical, that kind of stuff. For metal, I think that harman-ish tuning performs better.

PXL_20220621_154608796.jpg
PXL_20220621_153725989.jpg

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #100 of 127

Source and 2pin connectors: I have a slight source problem, they come with single-ended and the most powerful thing I have right now is Qudelix 5K, which is 80W on single ended. It's around 70-80% still, for a comfortable listening volume. Tried to do balance, but one thing to know is that most cheap cables (for balanced) won't fit these, as the rounded 2-pin insertion point is too thick and gets in the way of insertion. My TRN T2 for 2.5mm had that problem. It just barely goes in and works, but is prone to disconnecting, so not really an option unless you wanna file down the plastic around connectors... which is a lot of work.

Impressions: Pretty good. Imaging is the best I've listened to, I think. The positioning of instruments, etc. "Comfortably Numb" was a great listen. Can't ask for more details, etc. everything works. The bass is enough as well. Overall I'm satisfied. I was looking for the etymotic experience out of curiosity, and I got what I was looking for. The only thing I'm wondering is how different the sound is gonna be with more power.

Be careful with the fit - the triple-flange eartips caused some pressure thing in my right ear, and it hurt a few days afterward. Definitely start with foams, and then move up from those. I'm using mine with foams only, and it works great. The deep insertion is not that big of an issue, but it's an extra hassle you have to go through. Can't wear them too long, because the ears get sensitive to the deep insertion after a while. But I've heard that that fatigue goes away with time.

I don't have etys to compare them with, and others have covered the pros&cons above better than I ever could. With my limited experience with IEMs. But that's my 2 cents, if I notice anything else then I'll be sure to follow up my impressions. They're best for jazz, classical, that kind of stuff. For metal, I think that harman-ish tuning performs better.

Treat it to a more powerful source and you'll certainly see more dimensionality and more substantial bass with better control and weight.

Agreed, these are best for jazz and classical.

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #101 of 127

More power does help, like @ian91 says. When you say “rounded 2-pin insertion point is too thick”, do you mean connectors like the one on the right?

6B901513-4714-47E0-9167-B242866CCA4A.jpeg

Cable sellers like XINHS let you request for recessed 2-pin connectors (my default option personally, as they’re more versatile), and their basic cables are pretty decent and inexpensive.

It’s been some time since I listened to the Q5K but it might be worth trying its balanced output with one of these.

Did you receive double flange tips from Yu9 as well? Those are much less intrusive. I used them on my Etys for years - either cut off the last flange or bought Klipsch ovals. Ety have their own double flanges now and they’re made of softer material, but it might be cheaper for you to just get a bunch of generic narrow bore triple flanges and try pruning them accordingly.

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #102 of 127
Anyone considering buying the U556 or U554 should jump on it now. The AliExpress store CKLewis Audio Store has a promo running that's $3.00 off every $30.00 spent in addition to the discount code 618SUMMER15 brought my total to $122.64 shipped to the U.S.

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #104 of 127
Ok. I got the Yu9 ER-4b and was finally able to do a fair comparison with the Ety ER-4b.
*Disclaimer: My setup is pretty particular - I run through an HRTF/speaker/room simulator - I don't listen to the ER-4b straight up except for binaural materials. More details here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...thread-for-you.538615/page-1181#post-16929288

So I would say overall the Yu9 is quite similar to the Ety, maybe 85% of the way there. But it's always those last percents that make all the difference. The differences I can describe are less high frequency details (comparatively muddiness and veiled sound) and more pronounced bass (comparatively sounds like cheap bass - but probably just unbalanced FR). I want to say my first impression (and continued impression) was that I was maybe listening to the ER4SR (I've tried those a few years ago).
Now the undescribeable: the real ER-4b sounds believably genuine - like I'm actually listening to real speakers in a balanced room - and any flaw I hear are in the source material - no headache. The Yu9 is not believable at that level - I mean it's not bad if you want to just listen to music - but I don't feel it disappear behind the source material.

At the end of the day, I was looking for a real ER-4b replacement; unfortunately the Yu9 will not do.

Jul 14, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #105 of 127
Ok. I got the Yu9 ER-4b and was finally able to do a fair comparison with the Ety ER-4b.
*Disclaimer: My setup is pretty particular - I run through an HRTF/speaker/room simulator - I don't listen to the ER-4b straight up except for binaural materials. More details here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-...thread-for-you.538615/page-1181#post-16929288

So I would say overall the Yu9 is quite similar to the Ety, maybe 85% of the way there. But it's always those last percents that make all the difference. The differences I can describe are less high frequency details (comparatively muddiness and veiled sound) and more pronounced bass (comparatively sounds like cheap bass - but probably just unbalanced FR). I want to say my first impression (and continued impression) was that I was maybe listening to the ER4SR (I've tried those a few years ago).
Now the undescribeable: the real ER-4b sounds believably genuine - like I'm actually listening to real speakers in a balanced room - and any flaw I hear are in the source material - no headache. The Yu9 is not believable at that level - I mean it's not bad if you want to just listen to music - but I don't feel it disappear behind the source material.

At the end of the day, I was looking for a real ER-4b replacement; unfortunately the Yu9 will not do.

pale comparison in price, $73 yu9 er4b and $300+ ety er4b, 85 % level of real ety is more than good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back