Your first eargasm...
Oct 5, 2011 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

freddiechina

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of Grado SR225is. Absolutely fantastic. But the proverbial hit the fan in my previously naive mind when I listened to Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi (sp?) soundtrack. The opening ominous bass line blew my mind, then being able to hear almost every single person singing, separately, I had my first eargasm.

What was yours?

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 56
Probably when I was listening to my Radiohead on my A900's when I was 16.

Just had one today when I got home from work.  I left my brand new 325is's burning in, 8 hours total so far.  Kids by MGMT has never sounded so good.  This is using an Audigy ZS2 as a source also.

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 56
Was at a friend's house and he passed me the Audio Technica AD700 to try, I had no exposure to 'high end' sound prior to that.

My mind was blown, I think I was most impressed by the bass, despite the AD700 being quite anemic.
tongue.gif

It's funny how I think they sound like poo now, that's perspective for ya.

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 56

Quote:
I just got a pair of Grado SR225is. Absolutely fantastic. But the proverbial hit the fan in my previously naive mind when I listened to Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi (sp?) soundtrack. The opening ominous bass line blew my mind, then being able to hear almost every single person singing, separately, I had my first eargasm.
What was yours?

You good sir have excellent taste!

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 56
While in no real way high-end, my first real "oh my" moment was when I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-555's about 6 years ago, and plugged them into my PC's sound card and fired up one the first FLAC tracks I ever listened to. From that point forwards I began to have a far greater interest in audio (both headphone and speaker) and their associated hardware/technology. There was a sense of apprehension at first whether I was stupid in paying $150 for headphones- but that notion disappeared before the first song was even finished.

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 56
Hmmm...I'm not sure. It's either one of two moments.

-Getting the AD700s and then playing some games with CMSS-3D Headphone enabled. Less of an eargasm and more of a "Holy crap, I can hear where everything is coming from, and I don't even need a surround speaker system to do it!"

-Getting a vintage Stax Lambda setup and being exposed to the electrostatic sound for the first time. "So THIS is what they mean by 'clear sound' and 'effortless delivery'...I like it."

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 56
My first eargasm with a headphone was the first thime that I listened to Barry White with my stock Fostex T50RP 2 years ago.

The second was listening to Muse with my Grado HF-2 and the third when I changed the earpads to the G-Cush.

The fourth was listening to Adele with my modified Fostex T50RP (a.k.a. Fosteximus T50RPrime)

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 56
 Muse with my old hd280s, had never experienced anything like it before
rolleyes.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 56
When I first got the Creative Aurvana Live!

WOOOOWW

back then... orgasm easy.

Moved to the Grado sr60 and..  WOOOOOOOOOOW

from then on, its been hit and miss hit and miss. Nowadays I feel I read too much into a purchase before pulling the trigger. so the expectation tones down the WOOOWness.

I do get random glorious and emotional feelings every now and then from the B&W P5. I don't know. On some days, the same track sounds horrible and bland. But on some other days its like OWH MY GOD!! I'm just gonna stop whatever I'm doing, kick back and finish the tune. Same feeling on the TF10.

Yesterday..  Kiteki's ex600 gave me an eargasm too.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #14 of 56
Listening to James Horner's soundtrack to The Mask of Zorro on the K701.  The flamenco style hand claps / footwork, spanish guitar, and overall great dynamics of the recordings were revelatory on the K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back