You will get sick of head-fi
Nov 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #153 of 213
I just get sick of the same threads coming to the top again and again. Especially threads about a headphone being released YEARS ago that STILL have people talking about it. It is extremely misleading to people who dont look at the date when they start to read it. Some people just dont know how to let a thead die.

But I do agree you will get bored of it, as I did with overclock.net and with xtremesystems.

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #154 of 213
Quote:
you shouldn't say stuff like that: i have both 650s and a highly suggestible personality
i have some amperior, blu-tack, and time on my hands. since they literally slide apart, i might give it a go, but the truth is i'm too jaded by people who do stuff like mess up their car's intake and then swear blind it's noticeably faster, yet seem oblivious that altitude and temperature have more profound effects. i bit of an off subject point, i know, but the principle seems the same
i need to learn to trust. hug me

You can trust me
very_evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, my advise to anyone on here is DON'T modify expensive headphones. Period... Because you will end up trying to sell them when you want better, and you really do need to have spectacular sales pitch when your trying to explain why you have Andrex super absorbant stuffed into your 650 drivers... "Honestly they sounded like schitt before.."
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #157 of 213
I just get sick of the same threads coming to the top again and again. Especially threads about a headphone being released YEARS ago that STILL have people talking about it. It is extremely misleading to people who dont look at the date when they start to read it. Some people just dont know how to let a thead die.

I don't get it. This isn't a computer forum - newer isn't always better...

There's also a population of collectors here, which keeps older equipment relevant.

You can trust me :veryevil:

But seriously, my advise to anyone on here is DON'T modify expensive headphones. Period... Because you will end up trying to sell them when you want better, and you really do need to have spectacular sales pitch when your trying to explain why you have Andrex super absorbant stuffed into your 650 drivers... "Honestly they sounded like schitt before.." :D

Truer words have never been spoken. It doesn't matter how much cash you've dumped into custom cables, special materials, woodification, etc - resale generally will not reflect that unless you've created something really spectacular (for example if you've taken something like a K340 and made it prettier without changing the sound/functionality). I've seen this time and again with HD 580/600/650 owners who go full-enchilada with a Headphile woodie pack, and yeah it ends up looking awesome, but they're maybe $400-$500 of mods into them, and resale is less than the price of the mods, let alone the combined price of the setup.

My corollary to your advice is don't irreversibly modify rare or hard to replace headphones - e.g. don't go cutting up your MDR-F1s or HD-1000s or HD580Js or whatever else. Because you've taken something that's already rare and turned it into something that usually has a VERY small target audience.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #158 of 213
Quote:
you shouldn't say stuff like that: i have both 650s and a highly suggestible personality
i have some amperior, blu-tack, and time on my hands. since they literally slide apart, i might give it a go, but the truth is i'm too jaded by people who do stuff like mess up their car's intake and then swear blind it's noticeably faster, yet seem oblivious that altitude and temperature have more profound effects. i bit of an off subject point, i know, but the principle seems the same
i need to learn to trust. hug me

Reminds me of a funny story.
Years ago I had a Mustang.
I modified the crap out of it.
But after doing a few thing to the engine, the engine mod which amde the mst difference was a larger radiator: the engine performance was far more consistent throughout the summer.

BTW, here's your hug.
Quote:
I don't get it. This isn't a computer forum - newer isn't always better...
There's also a population of collectors here, which keeps older equipment relevant.
Truer words have never been spoken. It doesn't matter how much cash you've dumped into custom cables, special materials, woodification, etc - resale generally will not reflect that unless you've created something really spectacular (for example if you've taken something like a K340 and made it prettier without changing the sound/functionality). I've seen this time and again with HD 580/600/650 owners who go full-enchilada with a Headphile woodie pack, and yeah it ends up looking awesome, but they're maybe $400-$500 of mods into them, and resale is less than the price of the mods, let alone the combined price of the setup.
My corollary to your advice is don't irreversibly modify rare or hard to replace headphones - e.g. don't go cutting up your MDR-F1s or HD-1000s or HD580Js or whatever else. Because you've taken something that's already rare and turned it into something that usually has a VERY small target audience.

I bought a used Counterpoint SA-5.1 pre-amp several years ago. I've probably spent just as much modifying it as I did buying it. Can't say the modifications changed the sound of it that much.
I think if I sell it now I will get $0.20 on the dollar.............maybe.
Last time I ever do that!

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #159 of 213
Quote:

Some people aren't particularly interested in resale as a value.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #160 of 213
I think we have solved the problem!

Whatever it was..............

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #161 of 213
Hmmmmmm, looks like everyone is sick of this thread?

:D

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #163 of 213
Ok I'm back. I took about a 2 month break from Head-fi and I'm excited again. I'm back in love with this site.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should take a 2 month break from The Fi.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #164 of 213
I think it's time for me to take a break as well..  Maybe the HE-600 or HE-7s will be out then
biggrin.gif
  Oh wait.  that only means I'll have to get a new speaker rig all over again.  Will this ever stop?

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #165 of 213
Quote:
I think it's time for me to take a break as well..  Maybe the HE-600 or HE-7s will be out then
biggrin.gif
  Oh wait.  that only means I'll have to get a new speaker rig all over again.  Will this ever stop?

No, no it will not. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back