You will get sick of head-fi
Oct 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #122 of 213
Quote:
I'm a tube amp guy(but I can appreciate a nice SS amp too).
I like a warm sound.

Electrons  escaping from hot metal, running the gauntlet of impeding wire, only to crash into another hot metal surface....

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #123 of 213
Quote:
We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all our lives.

PLEASE! You must listen! We cannot maintain the link for long... I will type as fast as I can.

DO NOT USE THE CABLES!

We were fools, fools to develop such a thing! Sound was never meant to be this clear, this pure, this... accurate. For a few short days, we marveled. Then the... whispers... began.

Were they Aramaic? Hyperborean? Some even more ancient tongue, first spoken by elder races under the red light of dying suns far from here? We do not know, but somehow, slowly... we began to UNDERSTAND.

No, no, please! I don't want to remember! YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME REMEMBER! I saw brave men claw their own eyes out... oh, god, the screaming... the mobs of feral children feasting on corpses, the shadows MOVING, the fires burning in the air! The CHANTING!

WHY CAN'T I FORGET THE WORDS???

We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all our lives.

Do not use the cables!

very well written, someone's been reading a little bit too much H.P. Lovecraft

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #124 of 213
These reviews are some of the best I've read.

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #125 of 213
^ Indeed they are.

Btw, I enjoyed this thread. Great posts on all sides.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #126 of 213
Electrons  escaping from hot metal, running the gauntlet of impeding wire, only to crash into another hot metal surface....

Electrons wiggling about in very poor conductors makes so much more sense!

BTW, Cardas Cables.......what do they do?
Create peace, love and understanding?

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #127 of 213
Quote:

very well written, someone's been reading a little bit too much H.P. Lovecraft

And that's just it. After so much science trying to understand the physics of cable technology and placebo, there ends up being understandings that people get afraid to write about for fear of being ridiculed or laughed at. 

So no matter how extreme or simple people's ideas as to why some hear a difference or think they hear a difference, a better stance here would be in the format of a Lovecraftian fable.

None of it is true? None of it?

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #128 of 213
Quote:
So no matter how extreme or simple people's ideas as to why some hear a difference or think they hear a difference, a better stance here would be in the format of a Lovecraftian fable.

It's Halloween isn't it? 
Check out this Lovecraft science story. 
http://updates.io9.com/post/34658260553/at-last-science-explains-the-physics-in-call-of

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #129 of 213
Quote:

And that's just it. After so much science trying to understand the physics of cable technology and placebo, there ends up being understandings that people get afraid to write about for fear of being ridiculed or laughed at. 

If we are going to ridicule cable swappers may as well ridicule tube swappers.
May as well throw in Op Amp rollers too.
And while we are at it, all DACs sound the same.

Fact:
The analog output of your iPod is all you need!

I have spoken!
The subject is closed!

Foolish Earthlings!
Prepare to be annihilated!
The alien invasion/destruction begins tomorrow!
Or maybe the day after tomorrow.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #130 of 213
May as well throw in Op Amp rollers too.
And while we are at it, all DACs sound the same.

Fact:
The analog output of your iPod is all you need!

I have spoken!
The subject is closed!

Foolish Earthlings!
Prepare to be annihilated!
The alien invasion/destruction begins tomorrow!
Or maybe the day after tomorrow.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #131 of 213
Quote:

That just sounds a bit.. haha rude sorry.
floatsmile.png

(carry on, don't mind me) 

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #132 of 213
YA.........and ridicule wife swappers too while were at it.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #133 of 213
Quote:
That just sounds a bit.. haha rude sorry.
floatsmile.png

(carry on, don't mind me) 

I'm sure it does. That's why I added the WARNING about the imminent alien invasion!
Call me slightly amused by the fact that the cable swappers get all the "action"..............I guess I just see it as shades of grey and not very black and white.
So why pick on cables?

Yes, I realize that it is human nature that we never be able to agree on why we both LIKE the same headphone!

P.S.
Has anyone ever noticed that Nordost speaker cable can be used to make a good belt?
Kimber speaker cable makes an excellent boat mooring tie.

Hmmm, sorry, could not resist! Now I am one of them!

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #134 of 213
This thread kind of reminds me of a monkey ******* a football...

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #135 of 213
I'm still only starting out with head-fi compared to some others but I definitely get what you're saying.

My grandfather owns a 30 year old B&W system that was state of the art back then - it only plays vinyls but it still sounds stunningly good. Better than most $5k systems you here in the shops. A system like that is as far removed from flavor of the month that you can possibly get but it's still a valid system that plays wonderful, wonderful music.

Something to remember - at the end of the day it's about the music and not the gear.

Your journey with music shouldn't end but your journey with head-fi might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back