You will get sick of head-fi
Jan 4, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #196 of 213
Quote:
Strangely enough, there are people on Head Fi who believe that different brands of the same tube sound different.
What's up with that?
Seriously, that is not any stranger than saying tubes or DACs sound different.
Or capacitors.

but

that is strange

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #197 of 213
Quote:

but

that is strange

It's not uncommon. There are all sorts of beliefs out there, and Head-Fi isn't the only place you can read about them. I came along a little too late to witness it myself, but from what I understand many threads were once war zones because of discussion about cables, amps, DACs and the like.

There will never be any consensus since there's enough of a subjective component to all of this to ensure that even if sufficient testing methodologies are developed and proctored (there's a dearth of proper and detailed study, I believe), some will disagree with these methodologies and others will refuse point blank to accept the results, for reasons of their own.

The solution was to make sure threads stay on topic and to move all discussion about this sort of stuff into its own forum. There is some vocal disapproval of this solution, but I personally think it was the best of several mostly equally bad choices, given the nature of the problem. There are lots of places on the Internet (e.g. Hydrogen Audio) where discussion is highly objective, and you'll see very different attitudes there than you might see on Head-Fi.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #198 of 213
Quote:

It's not uncommon. There are all sorts of beliefs out there, and Head-Fi isn't the only place you can read about them. I came along a little too late to witness it myself, but from what I understand many threads were once war zones because of discussion about cables, amps, DACs and the like.

There will never be any consensus since there's enough of a subjective component to all of this to ensure that even if sufficient testing methodologies are developed and proctored (there's a dearth of proper and detailed study, I believe), some will disagree with these methodologies and others will refuse point blank to accept the results, for reasons of their own.

The solution was to make sure threads stay on topic and to move all discussion about this sort of stuff into its own forum. There is some vocal disapproval of this solution, but I personally think it was the best of several mostly equally bad choices, given the nature of the problem. There are lots of places on the Internet (e.g. Hydrogen Audio) where discussion is highly objective, and you'll see very different attitudes there than you might see on Head-Fi.

Indeed.
Amongst some psychologists there is a whole school of thought that AB testing is not very effective. Which kicks a very large hole in the Objective school of thought.
But that discussion is way over my head.
And there does seem to be a real dearth of published proper and detailed study.
The only sure thing I know about Psychology is that the last Psycholgy student I talked to was indescribably delicious.  
tongue_smile.gif

And now I'm way off topic.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #199 of 213
Originally Posted by RingingEars 

Wow. It had to be said. Sometimes the truth hurts a little. There ia a lot of truth in that sentence.
I can relate to why senior members would get a little jaded.
Waaaaaaaay back when I used to belong to, at the time, a small up-and-coming computer cooling and OCing forum. There couldn't have been more than 50-100 of us 10-15 real serious members.
We did our own home built water cooling setups(you couldn't buy it at that time). It was a lot of fun and a close knit community made it even more fun.
You became good friends with people you never even met face-to-face.
Of course good things never last. Water cooling and OCing became popular, the in flux of new members was overwhelming and the "good ol days" just got lost in the muck. Everything became "commercialized" and it pretty much took the wind out my sails.
But you find other interests and move on.
I think the best thing to do is just not take it so seriously.

That sounds like the beginnings of an imageboard I frequent. Lots of cancer, wish I could have seen the start.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #200 of 213
Quote:

Indeed.
Amongst some psychologists there is a whole school of thought that AB testing is not very effective. Which kicks a very large hole in the Objective school of thought.
But that discussion is way over my head.
And there does seem to be a real dearth of published proper and detailed study.
The only sure thing I know about Psychology is that the last Psycholgy student I talked to was indescribably delicious.  
tongue_smile.gif

And now I'm way off topic.

Yeah Cannibalism is waayy off topic
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #202 of 213
I'm sick of Head-Fi. There's too many cannibals on here.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #203 of 213
And fewer and fewer psychology students.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #204 of 213
Quote:
And fewer and fewer psychology students.

Funny you should say that. I just finished reading a few psycholinguistic studies for one of my classes, then I check this thread on Head-Fi. It's like somebody is watching and knows what I'm doing at all times....

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #205 of 213
^ lol :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #206 of 213
And I thought I was sick, twisted and perverse!
(well I am, but you guys are worse!)

Maybe I should had said she was very beautiful and left it at that!
LOL!

Jul 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #208 of 213
Quote:

You will get sick of head-fi

PUKE
Musta been all that Head-Fi I've digested and regurgitated   
biggrin.gif

/ feels much better, now ;')

Quote:
I think that the green PUKE has a much more well rounded soundstage than the brown PUKE. I also find that after exactly 3,269 hours of burn-in that the green PUKE really opens up. It's a stunning transformation, and of course it only happens if you're using 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% pure copper cabling. Silver doesn't work. It makes the sound too shiny, and nobody wants a shiny green PUKE.

So, overall, I think the green PUKE is great, but I still recommend the M50.

Just had ta bring it UP , again , dindtcha ...

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #209 of 213
I have been around since 2005 with less than 200 posts. I come and go a lot.
I learned a lesson a LONG time ago that I think many here know and appreciate...
NEVER listen to anything you can not afford unless you are saving for it or have a real chance at it later...

I read a lot of reviews when it comes to shopping/upgrade time and then when the urge/ability comes to get something new
comes along again I come back a lot more often. Most of the forums I post on are not even headphone related! I like reading other
peoples opinions on new gear... BUT before I ASK a question I at least do a search to see who asked before!
IF it has not been asked OR asked & answered ONLY then would I post a new thread asking does this work 
with that etc. etc. I think a good cable is a good cable and a good amp is a good amp. It comes down to what works for you...
When the time comes again to upgrade my IEMs I KNOW what I want and what I want it to sound like, AFFORDING it is 
a WHOLE other matter... Sure there are better cans than the ones I own BUT at what price to me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

My dream Cans? A pair of Stax, I have heard them and the Senn Orpheus a meet, I am FOREVER cursed knowing that 
kind of sound exists as I am not sure I can ever justify to myself that kind of money let alone aford it but the future is mine to decide!

Not sure if the place makes me sick but I do need breaks now and then... JUST my hopefully thoughtful 2 cents...

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #210 of 213
I'm currently listening to something that I cannot afford
L3000.gif

I consider it a privilege to sample what's out there, it gives me a measuring stick with which to measure my own system against. For better or sometimes, worse.

When I get sick of Head-fi I tend to pick off the "low hanging fruit", while ignoring the "important" threads.

So I'm completely up to date on the cooking and dog-fi threads (and now this one), while over 500 posts behind on the current Stax thread
rolleyes.gif

^ An extreme example but that's pretty much how I roll when the rolling gets old!
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back