You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #5,431 of 6,356
Quote:
It will also append a track number (and disc number, if applicable) to each track name, which is useful when browsing them in Explorer because it makes sure they stay in album order instead of being listed in alphabetical order.

You know you're an audiophile when you use Foobar2000 to manage your music collection.

I couldn't find the download for FooBar2000.. Help?

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #5,433 of 6,356
Quote:
 Foobar is kinda ugly.

Maybe so, but I wouldn't dream of going without its file integrity verifier, ReplayGain scanner, and other utilities it has. 

You know you're an audiophile when you use multiple tools to manage your collection. (in my case, EAC, MP3Tag, and Foobar2000 to prepare files to enter my library....occasionally supplemented with Medieval Cue Splitter)

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #5,435 of 6,356
Foobar supports VST, albeit via a clunky and buggy plugin. Still, that, along with its wealth of other features, is why I use it. I'm a list-view kind of guy, so I don't mind the interface.

You know you're an audiophile when you'd use the ugliest program on the face of the Earth to play your music if it had all the features you liked.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #5,436 of 6,356
Is it just me, or does FooBar2000 sound much better? Or am I just crazy?

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #5,437 of 6,356
It should be identical. The only thing that might be different is if there was some EQ or audio effect set in iTunes that was changing the sound. Foobar is pretty basic (on the surface, at least), and right out of the box it doesn't do anything to the sound.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #5,438 of 6,356
I use MusicBee because it isn't foobar. I don't want a audio manager, I want a music library. I don't have anything in strange formats(I don't have a problem with transcoding), just MP3, WAV, FLAC, ALAC and AAC. I can use any plugin that works with Winamp with MusicBee(and the only one I use is a Parametric EQ).

Neat and tidy interface, easy ID3 tagging, proper gapless playback(lol winamp), ASIO and WASAPI, replay gain. Enough for me. I don't have any particular wish to fiddle with foobar for a few hours when I could be listening to music.
L3000.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #5,439 of 6,356
You know you're becoming an audiophile when you want to get a job at the age of 15 so you can buy audio gear.

And when you spend 3 days trying to get your usb DAC to work with your Linux setup (Bloody arcam with no official support for linux ^.^)

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #5,440 of 6,356
Quote:
I use MusicBee because it isn't foobar. I don't want a audio manager, I want a music library. I don't have anything in strange formats(I don't have a problem with transcoding), just MP3, WAV, FLAC, ALAC and AAC. I can use any plugin that works with Winamp with MusicBee(and the only one I use is a Parametric EQ).

Neat and tidy interface, easy ID3 tagging, proper gapless playback(lol winamp), ASIO and WASAPI, replay gain. Enough for me. I don't have any particular wish to fiddle with foobar for a few hours when I could be listening to music.
L3000.gif

I'll have to check that out. The project page certainly makes it look slick.

I guess I must be a pretty basic user because I've never spent much time fiddling with settings in Foobar. The potential is undoubtedly there, and if appearance matters, well...I don't think Foobar will be winning any awards.

I mainly like the encoding profile setup, since I like to use true VBR AAC (not what Apple calls VBR), which requires a front end or the use of the CLI interface since Apple hasn't bothered to expose it with a proper GUI. It's available in the QuickTime library, though, and it's possible to configure Foobar to encode with it. It should be possible to configure other players to do this as well, provided they have the proper interface.

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #5,442 of 6,356
I'm still in that winamp phase since 2002.

You know you're an audiophile when you've been using the same program to play your music for over a decade.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Foobar supports VST, albeit via a clunky and buggy plugin. Still, that, along with its wealth of other features, is why I use it. I'm a list-view kind of guy, so I don't mind the interface.

You know you're an audiophile when you'd use the ugliest program on the face of the Earth to play your music if it had all the features you liked.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #5,444 of 6,356
Winamper here too

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #5,445 of 6,356
No love for OS X?
I use Audirvana Plus, and iTunes on occasion (for iPhone sync stuff). You know you're an audiophile when you pay for software that just plays music and people think you're crazy since you can just use iTunes/Windows Media Player/VLC/etc.. XD

For Windows I use Foobar and ya I think it's pretty ugly with the default interface. I have no idea how to activate it's secret "WASAPI" output thing-a-ma-bob though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back