You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #5,732 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you instinctively turn your nose up at any .MP3 under 10MB (and any .FLAC under 25mb)

... what? That makes no sense. Length of the song determines filesize.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #5,735 of 6,356
Not really important either way its the "turn your nose up" at the file size that matters here I think.  Audiophiles we are...

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #5,736 of 6,356
Quote:

No. The sampling rate determines it.

A 16/44 file would be around 25 mb. That same track in 24/172 could be upwards of 300 mb.

Um...they both do? 
confused.gif
 Not sure why there's confusion here. It's a simple concept:

Longer song = more data = larger file size.
Higher bit depth/sampling rate = more data = larger file size.

It follows that it's also possible to have a long song encoded with a lower sample rate and/or bit depth that is roughly equal in size to a shorter song encoded in a higher sample and/or bit depth.

The bitrate (as reported in kbps) is not affected by song length because the sample size is the same (e.g. one second of a 16/44 song is the same length, obviously, as one second of a 24/96 one; the latter has a higher bitrate, meaning more data per second, than the former).

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5,737 of 6,356
Quote:

Um...they both do? 
confused.gif
 Not sure why there's confusion here. It's a simple concept:

Longer song = more data = larger file size.
Higher bit depth/sampling rate = more data = larger file size.

It follows that it's also possible to have a long song encoded with a lower sample rate and/or bit depth that is roughly equal in size to a shorter song encoded in a higher sample and/or bit depth.

The bitrate (as reported in kbps) is not affected by song length because the sample size is the same (e.g. one second of a 16/44 song is the same length, obviously, as one second of a 24/96 one; the latter has a higher bitrate, meaning more data per second, than the former).

The sample rate affects it much more than the length. 

Case in point : http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #5,738 of 6,356
Certainly. Maybe I was being pedantic. I just wanted to make sure nobody was under the impression that only one of those two variables has any effect on file size. Of course they both do, just to different magnitudes.

You know you're an audiophile when you see a picture of a hoard of Byzantine coins in one of your classes and think just how many gold-plated connectors and silver cables you could make if you melted down the lot.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #5,739 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you see a picture of a hoard of Byzantine coins in one of your classes and think just how many gold-plated connectors and silver cables you could make if you melted down the lot.

Let's cryo that crap !!

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5,740 of 6,356
i have a song file that is 250MB
wink.gif
 i must be awesome then
biggrin.gif

(bitrate x sample rate x length of song (seconds) = final size btw. not sure about bitdepth though)

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #5,742 of 6,356
Quote:
Just bitrate times length is the final size. Bitrate is just a ratio of size to time.

An mp3 higher than 16bit/48KHz wouldn't make any sense by the way. Those don't exist.

but its normally either 16bit/48khz or 16bit/44.1khz so sample rate does play a role still in this situation to determine its file size (though not much)

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #5,743 of 6,356
I'm actually not sure why there is a sample rate conversion with MP3 from 44.1kHz to 48kHz, though I know it's a standard option in a lot of older encoders and as such you come across files encoded with that sample rate occasionally. Is it to somehow preserve the high end from getting cut by the encoder?

You know you're an audiophile when you take a break from studying to ask questions like this on Head-Fi.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #5,744 of 6,356
Quote:
but its normally either 16bit/48khz or 16bit/44.1khz so sample rate does play a role still in this situation to determine its file size (though not much)

That's factored in to bitrate.

I'm actually not sure why there is a sample rate conversion with MP3 from 44.1kHz to 48kHz, though I know it's a standard option in a lot of older encoders and as such you come across files encoded with that sample rate occasionally. Is it to somehow preserve the high end from getting cut by the encoder?

You know you're an audiophile when you take a break from studying to ask questions like this on Head-Fi.

I have no idea why that exists. I would think even a high bitrate mp3 would cut off everything past 22KHz anyways, but maybe I'm wrong. I've never even seen a 48KHz mp3 myself, seems like a dumb concept TBH.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #5,745 of 6,356
Quote:
I have no idea why that exists. I would think even a high bitrate mp3 would cut off everything past 22KHz anyways, but maybe I'm wrong. I've never even seen a 48KHz mp3 myself, seems like a dumb concept TBH.

When you look at all your flac files and see that they're all 44.1k 
frown.gif

the only 48k files I have are 30 some mp3s (some of which are 128kbps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back