You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #4,517 of 6,356
Quote:
When I silently cried inside when a student "DJ" used crappy 1+ MB mp3 to play on house speakers. I just wanted to go home right after I saw the file size and type.

Let's just hope it is the beginning of a learningcurve...

I remember ripping all my CDs to 128kbps mp3 somewhere back in the 90s... On the other hand, my mp3-player at the time only had 256MB storage... (which was actually more than the internal memory of my Pentium 75 with 2X CD-ROM drive. Any idea how long it took to rip a CD?).

But soon after I realized that this way of listening to music on the go was not very satisfying. Shortly after I tossed the mp3 stuff aside and went back to my good old Minidisc player (it was 5 times the size, 13 times the weight and a disc could only fit one album, but boy did it sound good after the mp3-fiasco..).

A few years later I tried the whole experiment again. Got a little better player, encoded my music in a better quality (this is still in the '1GB in a player is a lot'-era) but VBR with a minimum of 192kbps was quite an improvement.

Over the years, as my gear got better, I started to notice the flaws of the compression and switched to (mostly) FLAC. So far I haven't had any issues with that, but who knows what the future will bring us...

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #4,518 of 6,356
When you start noticing the small problems with the sound system on a night out. A little too much bass/too little bass. I really used to enjoy these parties more before I started using decent headphones.

From now I'm gonna try to only go to clubs where the sound system is excellent i.e Ministry of Sound in London.

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #4,519 of 6,356
Quote:
I don't think it's so much that audiophiles "hate" rap/hip hop (and punk, and grindcore, etc.) so much as that they listen to music for reasons that don't mesh with those genres.

Those genres tend to be heavily bound to youth subcultures, so things like recording quality and subtle composition tend to go out the window in favor of fitting into a clique and maximizing sonic shock factor. There's also generally an age gap between the average rap/punk/etc. scene and the typical person able to afford true audiophile grade gear. Generalizations? Yes, but still true in 99% of cases.

Possibly true to a certain extent but why would that be?

Punk and hip-hop were both "born" around 1976 (the roots of gridcore in the early 80s, true grindocre in the late 80s). I am 43 years old (and should be able to afford "audiophile gear" but for an extraordinarily expensive divorce) and was around to witness and love all of those events!

blink.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #4,520 of 6,356
I'm against child abuse, but that, hmm, thats a though one there :evil:
Just starve him for a couple of days. It's not abuse if you call it a fasting for religious reasons, and I guarantee that once you feed him, he'll do your bidding.

And regarding the reply to machoboy above: hip-hop is a culture that encompasses many different styles of music. There is definitely some great hip-hop. DJ Shadow and the Roots for two are great examples that spring to mind, and likewise real punk is great, although the contemporary crap they try and pass as hardcore is pretty juvenile in the main.

Writing off entire genres is not cool. You can't just get a massive marker out and declare no metal can be good, ever, and then draw a big X over it. Being into music is more than just spending 100s or 1000s on gear.

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #4,521 of 6,356
Quote:
And regarding the reply to machoboy above: hip-hop is a culture that encompasses many different styles of music. There is definitely some great hip-hop. DJ Shadow and the Roots for two are great examples that spring to mind, and likewise real punk is great, although the contemporary crap they try and pass as hardcore is pretty juvenile in the main.
Writing off entire genres is not cool. You can't just get a massive marker out and declare no metal can be good, ever, and then draw a big X over it. Being into music is more than just spending 100s or 1000s on gear.

This.

I completely agree. There are 2 types of music - good and bad. End of.

Oh, and by definition hip-hop has to encompass many different styles of music - Kool Herc didn't create hip hop by playing hip hop.

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #4,522 of 6,356
When you start noticing the small problems with the sound system on a night out. A little too much bass/too little bass. I really used to enjoy these parties more before I started using decent headphones.

It's like second nature

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #4,523 of 6,356

From now I'm gonna try to only go to clubs where the sound system is excellent i.e Ministry of Sound in London.

All the time.
Watching a movie in the new UltraAVX theatre at the cinema near my house, it was v-shaped and the bass was a little loose. Highs were quite sharp. Mids were distant.

And the list goes on.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #4,530 of 6,356
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back