You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #2,192 of 6,356
Speaking of a DAC whose sound is mediated by the amplifier and the speaker/headphone, you say things like "the articulation of the sound and the air of the instruments are moderated by a slight but perceptible warm sibilance, punctuated by the subtlest of metallic treble, adding a well-rounded sound and image", and you think you are saying something useful and meaningful beyond your own personal experience.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #2,193 of 6,356

Quote:
Speaking of a DAC whose sound is mediated by the amplifier and the speaker/headphone, you say things like "the articulation of the sound and the air of the instruments are moderated by a slight but perceptible warm sibilance, punctuated by the subtlest of metallic treble, adding a well-rounded sound and image", and you think you are saying something useful and meaningful beyond your own personal experience.

Haha, sounds like a 6fools review.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #2,194 of 6,356
Your first instinct in trying to improve the tonality of your DAC is not to equalize the signal or improve your headphones/speakers, but rather to change the DAC's power cord for a more "warmer sounding" cable.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #2,195 of 6,356
^ ^ ^

When you differentiate between Audiophools and Audiophiles, since you don't want to be put in the same camp as all the people who spent money on accessories that are not justified by scientific evidence.
i.e. You know you are an audiophile when you actually care about what I just said.

(with all due respect, Mauricio)

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #2,196 of 6,356
You demand the finest mastering, mixing and recording; over-sized, regulated outboard power supplies; the highest sampling rates and bit-depths; the most expensive and sophisticated implementations of the most advanced DAC chips; and cables and interconnects with Litz electrons and cadmium-plated titanium.  Yet you still insist in passing your pristine signal through a passive crossover consisting of crude power inductors, capacitors and resistors, and you consider the concept of an active speaker a technologically-repugnant absurdity.

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #2,197 of 6,356
When you differentiate between Audiophools and Audiophiles, since you don't want to be put in the same camp as all the people who spent money on accessories that are not justified by scientific evidence.

To be honest I dislike being thought of as someone who's into audio voodoo, because the average person thinks such beliefs are silly. Being very self-conscious about myself and people's opinions I claim I'm an engineer student in signal processing (which I am), and that I decide my purchases in a slightly (but not really all that much) more down-to-earth way :D

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #2,198 of 6,356
To be honest I dislike being thought of as someone who's into audio voodoo, because the average person thinks such beliefs are silly. Being very self-conscious about myself and people's opinions I claim I'm an engineer student in signal processing (which I am), and that I decide my purchases in a slightly (but not really all that much) more down-to-earth way :D

It's not like I look down on people who buy audio related things which don't make much sense to me (e.g. Power cords).
In the end we are all in the same boat; we all pursuit perfect sound in one way or another. Each path to this final goal is equally valid.

It's simply the fact that some people associate being an audiophile with being a nutjob.

Mar 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #2,199 of 6,356
It's simply the fact that some people associate being an audiophile with being a nutjob.

Precisely the reason why I want to differentiate myself from the pack even though I recognize myself as an audiophile. The term has a very nasty tone to it.

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #2,200 of 6,356
When you get upset about a high profile story involving a pedophile because you feel you now have to avoid saying you're an audiophile in public since people will hear what they think they hear
eek.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #2,202 of 6,356
Mar 17, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #2,205 of 6,356
I guess I would call myself an audiophile now. Mostly because I care about the sound/musicality of the headphones that I listen to. I care enough to research and share ideas with others about how to get the sound that I want. My goal is just to enjoy the music within my budget and not become so caught up in analyzing the equipment that I stop getting lost in the enjoyment of the tunes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back