You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #2,165 of 6,356
Where do people get this figure that digital has 1/20th of the information of analog (vinyl)? 

I was always under the impression that CDs and Vinyl have equivalent inherent sound quality (excluding physical distortion of a record). 

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #2,166 of 6,356
Where do people get this figure that digital has 1/20th of the information of analog (vinyl)? 

I was always under the impression that CDs and Vinyl have equivalent inherent sound quality (excluding physical distortion of a record). 

You are more or less correct. Information is ambiguous term when reffering to analog, but in principle it is defined by the ratio between full-scale and the noise floor.
The same is true for digital. And in many cases the performance of 24 bit audio (or even 16 bit) is simply not achieved because the noise floor is too high.

In theory 16 bit audio has a theoratical dynamic range of 93dB with dither. If the ratio between full scale and the noise floor of a vinyl record is 96dB it has a the same amount of information as a 16 bit digital audio file. The 3dB difference is the result of dither, but that doesn't really matter all that much.\

I don't see how this is related to the rest of this thread, though.

Mar 9, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #2,167 of 6,356

I guess it comes from the impression that vinyl is analog, and better represents the infinite amount of steps between two values that happen in the real world than digital, which is for CD, 44.1 thousand samples per second saved into 16 bits of volume information. I've seen some people say that analog = infinite. That argument fails to realize that signal-to-noise ratio limits the dynamic range of LP, and that the grooves of an LP can't be crafted "infinitely" precise either limiting the frequency response. Now dynamic range alone is a poor argument to favor CD, because most CDs are digitally limited in dynamic range to appear louder (ie. Loudness war), and LP records are usually mastered to have more dynamic range than CDs (exceptions exist of course), even though CDs are technically superior (70dB LP noise floor vs 96dB on CD, more with dither). CDs also don't suffer from the clicks and pops and distortion usually found in a midrange LP system, that alone makes it superior to me.

But yeah, LPs are usually mastered better, and I'd argue that a good LP system with no audible noise floor can sound better than a more compressed CD master. If the masters are the same though, CD is better of course. It's not the fault of the format, as a format CD is superior, looking at SNR and dynamic range and the lack of distortion and pops and clicks vs. LP, most CD's are just digitally limited (not compressed, limiting = high ratio compression, basically flattening the dynamic range by a factor of 1:10-1:20)

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #2,169 of 6,356

Quote:
you know your audiophile when your IT class Instructor thinks your nuts for having a 200$ dedicated sound card in your pc
lol true story

lol I'm doing that right now

My IT teacher disapproves of Turtle Beach. I have feeling that his an audiophile too.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #2,170 of 6,356

Quote:
you know your audiophile when your IT class Instructor thinks your nuts for having a 200$ dedicated sound card in your pc
lol true story

lol I'm doing that right now

>> calling yourself audiophile, still using a soundcard.

plus, he is right, get yourself a DAC and bypass it :p (don't take this too serious, haters gonna hate .etc)

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #2,171 of 6,356
the sound card has a good dac on it ,but I here you. I rather use a nice sound card then a dac
there is some things that a sound card dose that a dac can't do tho, a top$ dac would be better
confused_face.gif

edit
I have this
http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html

he also said hi fi headphones and speakers are a waste and all you need are the earbuds like or  the ones that come with a ipod  or some logitech crap lol
he was saying that sound cards where a wast all together and everything should be onbord but gpu's

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #2,172 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when your friends ask you to research headphones for them, and after finding out what they want, you already know what they should get.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #2,173 of 6,356
[size=small]You know you are an audiophile when you are watching a belly dancing performance and all you can think is "man this sound system is crap, where are my headphones?".[/size]

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #2,175 of 6,356

Or rather, you know you're an audiophile when you are watching a belly dancing peformance and all you think is, "Damn, these headphones sound amazing"
Quote:
[size=small]You know you are an audiophile when you are watching a belly dancing performance and all you can think is "man this sound system is crap, where are my headphones?".[/size]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back