You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #2,131 of 6,356
When you enter this thread to post your own witty reply, and find that it's already been taken over by sound science jackals.
:p

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #2,132 of 6,356

Quote:
When you enter this thread to post your own witty reply, and find that it's already been taken over by sound science jackals.
tongue.gif

Simpsons HA HA.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2,133 of 6,356
OK warning for extremely nerdy audiophile comment...

... looking for a stereo cable that has the optimal sound with your headphones. Yea I've tried like 3 cables now and so far unfortunately the short one, cheap bundled with my digiZoid ZO2 amp has the best sound the most forward midrange (I'd like it as forward as I can get it) and best quality bass response but it's a bit short so I have to keep the amp at the edge of the table and still be worried when leaning backwards in the chair hastly that it won't come out of the headphone.

V-Moda cable: Too recessed highs & lacking resolution in them.
Monoprice 8323 cable: A bit more laid-back midrange, otherwise nice
Cheap slim-stereo bundled cable with ZO2 amp: Excellent forward midrange but it's a bit short....

Unfortunately only very slim plugs fits into the Q40 headphone jack too so the cable choices are quite limited. So what do I do, use the short stereo cable I'm trying to find a replacement for and compromise my convenience as I can't accept the sound differences...

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2,135 of 6,356
When you stalk your girlfriend's last.fm and note her compliments on bass on other systems, to tailor her an anniversary gift consisting of a Sansa Clip+, Sony XB-500 and a memory card full of her favourite artists. (Must've been the best gift I've figured)

Also when you want to destroy a self-taught (read: self-Googled) anti-audiophile for subtly sneering at your audio(phile) interface. (bitches don't know about my phantom power and direct monitoring).

And when your signal processing teacher thinks you're interested, but you're really only asking a lot of questions because you can apply a part off the knowledge into your audio interests.

And of course when you want seven different pairs of studio monitor-esque headphones just for the heck of it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #2,136 of 6,356

Quote:
... When you think cable-swapping and burn-in has any actual physical effect beyond the bounds of placebo :wink: .

Actually... that's what you call a lunatic

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #2,138 of 6,356

Quote:
I think I can smell something burning.
*sniffs*.
Hmmm, I think it smells like irony.

Well if you're talking about my post it's unfortunately not a joke. My ears are trained to hear 1dB variances here and there after many years of EQing of very small differences almost on a daily basis.

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #2,139 of 6,356
Well if you're talking about my post it's unfortunately not a joke. My ears are trained to hear 1dB variances here and there after many years of EQing of very small differences almost on a daily basis.

Double blind test, and preferably a loopback test that shows frequency response chances in the cables. If the claimed 1dB variances exist both should show very prominent results. You're trolling until proven otherwise.

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #2,141 of 6,356

Quote:
Double blind test, and preferably a loopback test that shows frequency response chances in the cables. If the claimed 1dB variances exist both should show very prominent results. You're trolling until proven otherwise.

I'm too lazy for that and I don't need you to believe me, I'm just stating that the other cables I've tried doesn't quite give me the same enjoyable sound. Usually physiological effects favor the new stuff you've bought and there's absolutely no sense why I wouldn't use the longer cable that wouldn't make me have to sit so close to the table etc in order to the cable to reach if it didn't sound as good.

I'm not either an objectivist that believe everything is ruled by scientific measures, I personally trust my ears more in some circumstances as I'm not perfectly sure a frequency response measurement would show what I'm hearing, so even if it didn't show any difference I'd still not personally be convinced.

There's also another problem, the only test I'd find somewhat interesting would be something like Tyll @ innerfidelity measures like but I lack that equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back