You just can't be nice to some folks......
Jan 6, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #46 of 76
Yes the selling of free records and then complaining when given cut-outs does take some nerve. What would concern me more was shoddy treatment of expensive headphone gear you lend people and taking 4 weeks to return........very un-cool
mad.gif

When I used to post more at Audiogon one regular there who lives in Canada offered to send me a couple $2,000+ sets of ICs to try out since he had several extra sets, I thanked him very much but felt strange accepting such generosity from a stranger.
(even though I would have taken super good care of them and return by Fedex etc)

OK, we just eliminated @50 members from suspect list keep the posts coming.
cool.gif

Jan 6, 2003 at 3:47 AM Post #47 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
OK, we just eliminated @50 members from suspect list keep the posts coming.
cool.gif

Wasn't me...

But if you have a copy of "Christina" you want to get rid of..
biggrin.gif

Sorry to hear about the trust-shaking. Hope it doesn't prevent you and others from sharing in the future.

ok,
erix

Jan 6, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #51 of 76
First off, I can always use some more clean vinyl, but the Tubes and me haven't done that. Agreed?

Whom ever it is did wrong, and I hate to ask this question, but I gotta:

Did you have an express understanding with this individual before you delivered (gifted) any vinyl as to how he could or could not dispose of it?

Aint it the way, Tubes. Live and learn.
mad.gif

Jan 6, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #52 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Did you have an express understanding with this individual before you delivered (gifted) any vinyl as to how he could or could not dispose of it?

I made this point in another thread. If your expectation is for someone to "play it forward", then you should bother to explicitly say that to the person you're doing a favor for. If you don't, then, in my view, you kind of just have to accept it if they don't do what you'd have done. Some folks need a nudge.

Jan 6, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #53 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Let me get this straight. You give him a bunch of records, shipped at your expense, and he has been complaining about what he got? I hope he lives in Hawaii, and is man enough to expose himself here so I can kick his ass.

buta, just for the record it's not me...please don't hurt me
smily_headphones1.gif

Tuberoller, i'm very sorry to hear about this situation...it hurts to hear of a fellow Head-fi member doing something like this...i hope this person decides to come forward and explain himself...If he doesn't want to i hope he will at least leave Head-fi...

Jan 6, 2003 at 2:03 PM Post #54 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I made this point in another thread. If your expectation is for someone to "play it forward", then you should bother to explicitly say that to the person you're doing a favor for. If you don't, then, in my view, you kind of just have to accept it if they don't do what you'd have done.

Not exactly where I was heading Kelly. You see at law a gift is defined as something being given with purely donative intent. This means that whomever makes the gift retains no interest in the gift and intends from the start to retain no interest in the gift. Otherwise it's not a gift in the first place, more of a loan or transfer of partial interest in the gift property. If Tubes is upset about how our mystery Head-Fier disposed of the property, then at least in his own mind Tubes has retained some interest in the property. In that case, it never was a gift, just a property transfer on ambiguous terms. Such misunderstandings can lead to some of the worst hurt feelings.

Jan 6, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #55 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Not exactly where I was heading Kelly. You see at law a gift is defined as something being given with purely donative intent. This means that whomever makes the gift retains no interest in the gift and intends from the start to retain no interest in the gift. Otherwise it's not a gift in the first place, more of a loan or transfer of partial interest in the gift property. If Tubes is upset about how our mystery Head-Fier disposed of the property, then at least in his own mind Tubes has retained some interest in the property. In that case, it never was a gift, just a property transfer on ambiguous terms. Such misunderstandings can lead to some of the worst hurt feelings.

That is why I said above that the resell of free/gift records was not very cool but the shoddy treatment of loaned headphone gear was what was most disturbing to me.

Jan 6, 2003 at 3:15 PM Post #56 of 76
I really hope that person comes out and apologizes, but as some others have mentioned, this person is definitely not going to come out with all of these hostile posts about kicking his ass and such. I say, give the man his chance to give his side of the story, and I hope Tuberoller and this person can resolve this nicely.

BTW I'm not that guy.

Jan 6, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #57 of 76
Kelly, Old Pa

Please read this part of the original post:

Quote:

I really don't mind giving away even the valuable recods but a condition of my generosity is that the records not be sold.If they are to be passed on I request that they be given away only.

Jan 6, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Kelly, Old Pa

Please read this part of the original post:

I really don't mind giving away even the valuable recods but a condition of my generosity is that the records not be sold.If they are to be passed on I request that they be given away only.

I read the original post, but it's still not clear whether this was explicitly stated at the time he gave them to this guy.

If it was then, yeah, I just wouldn't give him anything else but that'd be about the end of it for me.

Jan 6, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #59 of 76
Well, I have a couple of comments about this. (No, I'm not the guy.)

1. I was always taught that a gift is not a gift if there are strings attached, no matter what those strings are or how "reasonable" somebody thinks they are. Gifts are given freely -- no strings or conditions.

2. What Tuberoller has been doing is what I would call a "favor." He's giving out records on the condition that they not be sold. This is fine and admirable -- he's attempting to share something valuable with others. For someone to betray that trust and sell them, when they were given on the condition that they NOT be sold, is wrong.

3. Tuberoller should chalk it up to the dishonesty of that one individual, and not send him anything else.

4. Tuberoller should, in my opinion, tell us who this ungrateful person is. He isn't likely to reveal himself, and isn't likely to change his attitude or behavior if he isn't exposed.

My 2 cents.

Jan 6, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #60 of 76
It WOULD be interesting to hear the other side of the story. As it stands now, it is simply bizarre--complaining about someone's generosity??

I also agree that mashing loaned equipment is ridiculous. I suppose that no matter how careful one is, there might be an accidental mashing, but then the masher should provide some compensation.

I hope TR feels a little better after seeing the length of this sympathy thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back