Yin Lu Mei m400 portable usb dac/amp (Ak4499, 3.5SE, 4.4BAL)
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #61 of 123
To my mind, M400 Plus stacks up against ~800 USD DAPs/DACs pretty well. M400 Plus even sounds well beyond its price.Though I think this DACAmp does not sound neutral, it has an energetic, vivid sound signature with tight bass and detailed highs. M400 Plus's signature is close to the W-shaped one, I think. As for comparisons, for me M400 Plus is technically much better than Shanling M6 Pro (more body and details, no sibilance, tighter bass, wider soundstage), FiiO M11 (more details, tighter bass, wider soundstage), AK Kann Cube Alpha (more details on mids, tighter bass, wider soundstage). It's even on par with LPGT if to compare them from memory. Actually, I didn't find LPGT anything extraordinary in terms of the SQ, and still think that my YinLvMei A2 is quite comparable to it with a different signature and accents, of course.
In terms of the output power, the M400 Plus successfully competes with AK Kann Cube Alpha and runs circles around ~1000 USD DAPs (with very few exceptions. like QLS361, I think)

TYVM for the info. TBH, with so little info on this thing out there I may just have to pick one up to try it out. Interesting on your distaste for thLPGT though. It seems to be fairly universally loved as part of the pinnacle of portable SQ (just a dash below the hugo 2)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #62 of 123
TYVM for the info. TBH, with so little info on this thing out there I may just have to pick one up to try it out. Interesting on your distaste for thLPGT though. It seems to be fairly universally loved as part of the pinnacle of portable SQ (just a dash below the hugo 2)
Well, it's not that I did not like LPGT, just did not find it anything much impressive in general or extraordinary in terms of SQ for the price:) But tastes differ and if you have an opportunity to try it, I'd recommend doing it

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #66 of 123
To my mind, M400 Plus stacks up against ~800 USD DAPs/DACs pretty well. M400 Plus even sounds well beyond its price.Though I think this DACAmp does not sound neutral, it has an energetic, vivid sound signature with tight bass and detailed highs. M400 Plus's signature is close to the W-shaped one, I think. As for comparisons, for me M400 Plus is technically much better than Shanling M6 Pro (more body and details, no sibilance, tighter bass, wider soundstage), FiiO M11 (more details, tighter bass, wider soundstage), AK Kann Cube Alpha (more details on mids, tighter bass, wider soundstage). It's even on par with LPGT if to compare them from memory. Actually, I didn't find LPGT anything extraordinary in terms of the SQ, and still think that my YinLvMei A2 is quite comparable to it with a different signature and accents, of course.
In terms of the output power, the M400 Plus successfully competes with AK Kann Cube Alpha and runs circles around ~1000 USD DAPs (with very few exceptions. like QLS361, I think)

I second this presentation observation. M400 has crazy bass punch and subbass is given alot of weight.

It has an emphasizes somewhere in the mids (not all the mids) that helps romaticize string instruments. But colors vocals (vocals effect is reduced under Filter-2, but treble too comes back).

Last octave treble detail is softened greatly, but without affecting lower treble imaging.

Soundstage depth maintains dynamic. However, it terms of width, it feels like a crossover effect is happening. In other words, Depth is great. Width is somewhat compressed.

Note weight is very strong of the m400. And bass punchiness especially is emphasized. This is for Slam lovers.

A good dac/amp for sharp treble sets like the Final Audio A8000 (which I have tried it with). I imagine something like a cable-modded Beyer would be perfect for this.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #68 of 123
It seems that there's a new model with ess9038pro DAC, the M400e
I guess they had to shift production with the AKM factory fire.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #69 of 123
any comparison with Honey H1 ?

thank you, 🙏

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #71 of 123
Aug 16, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #72 of 123
Compare with their new S4 mega dongle DAC/Amp?

So I got the S4 dongle.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yin-lu-mei-s4-usb-c-dac-amp.25352/

It presents very differently than the m400. S4 is very clinical-nuetral despite being an akm chip implementation. It's really interesting how different it is. Bass not punchy, mids not veiled, last octave treble has sizzle.

This S4, is more clinical as if targeting professionals. I would have thought I was listening to my e1da 9038s. More Sabre-like implementation/presentation.....but the S4 uses an ak4497!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #73 of 123
So I got the S4 dongle.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yin-lu-mei-s4-usb-c-dac-amp.25352/

It presents very differently than the m400. S4 is very clinical-nuetral despite being an akm chip implementation. It's really interesting how different it is. Bass not punchy, mids not veiled, last octave treble has sizzle.

This S4, is more clinical as if targeting professionals. I would have thought I was listening to my e1da 9038s. More Sabre-like implementation/presentation.....but the S4 uses an ak4497!
Better than the L&P W2 ?

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #74 of 123
By the way, has anyone owning M400Plus experienced any quirks with the DAC's display? A couple of times I got PCM and two battery symbols on the display instead of current gain, filter and volume numbers. The DAC switched to this weird display mode after me adjusting the volume. M400Plus remained fully operational, but the gain/filter/volume info just would not show up until I rebooted the device

Finally, a few months ago, I got M400plus too! :beyersmile: I bought AK KANN(original, pre-owned) and have connected with it, instead of my xduoo X10t II. It sounds great, but I'm already curious about the comparison between the HiFiman HM100 and M400PLUS... And there's no quirk with the display of my owned one. It always display two batterys, gain1-2, filter 1-6, and volume. If I change one of them, the display would be changed.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #75 of 123
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back