Yin Lu Mei m400 portable usb dac/amp (Ak4499, 3.5SE, 4.4BAL)
Mar 6, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #16 of 123
@Infoseeker Any comments on the build quality so far? how is it bearing up? Thanks

The volume wheel is the clicking type and is very solid. Will not shift after you set it.

Plastic is a nice material.

The screen gimmick is nice for memorizing and returning to the volume you were at.

Usb socket fills and holds well. No wear yet.

3.5SE does not wiggle.

4.4 balanced jack does not wiggle.

Does not suffer from phone interference. So I suggest not using the stiff well-protected cable it came with and using something like this minimalist braided right-angle usb-c to usb-c cable.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #19 of 123
I'm in the UK, so I agree it might take a long time, but from the general gist I'm getting about this thing, I'm prepared to wait :)
Thanks
I just wanted to warn you, I'm waiting myself... it's been over a month now, kind of expect to wait another month. Not a whole lot I can do about this unfortunate virus situation.

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #21 of 123
Have you been able to find any more information about the M400 other than BGGAR on YouTube and here on this forum?
Not really, I don't really think there's many of them in existence... they just came out in late Dec.

How good is your chinese / translate engrish comprehension? Useful stuff like "Background black hole, AK4499 full of blood, mobile phone enhances decoding artifact! "
can be found on taobao reviews :/ but not really.

Apr 3, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #23 of 123
So mine passed QC on 3/30... they decided you needed to show off your finger prints so now that one blank side has a glass pane attached to it :/
TR3sGDv.jpg

Otherwise I am just trying it out. So far it sounds good to me... I am just using the charge that it came with out of the box.

Apr 6, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #25 of 123
So maybe I don't have anything sensitive enough to get noise @ 80, but I did have some noise @ volume settings over 100-120 depending on the headphone, also can hear clicks as it changes volume settings as you approach 127. Those settings would have been painfully loud if it was playing something so I don't really mind that personally. On a related note I was thinking this really doesn't get that loud until I saw the volume goes past 100 :/ I'm not really sure why they went 0-127 instead of 0-255, I assume it still represents mute -> -95.5dB -> +31.5dB. Maybe because of how many turns it already takes to go from 0-127? I think it was maybe worse on the SE output but I only tried 1 set of iems on both inputs.

At max volume on the se output my iem made like a foghorn noise which is kinda bad but I think they would have been in danger of being damaged had audio been playing, there's almost no chance of accidentally going to max volume though. None of the other hps did the same just a hiss @ max on the 4.4mm but that one iem I used se is also my most sensitive headphone at 107db @1mw.

I couldn't detect any noise on the line out. Maybe the noise is coming from the pga2311s at high gain? I dunno really... but it drove all my hps quite loud before getting to where I could hear the noise, though I don't have anything extravagantly sensitive or not sensitive.

The knob feels like metal to me... it's cold to the touch when it's not warm from being used, though I can't be certain without doing something destructive. As far as I can tell the only external plastic parts are the led lenses.

Agree that the gain settings aren't that different like maybe +6db per setting or something, maybe I will check the voltage change :/ I actually tried to take it apart but I couldn't get much further than taking the back panel off. No idea how to remove the knob, the pcb is wider than the hole. I don't know how I could take it apart further without breaking it.

I have an SMSL M500(that's gonna be confusing :/) that struggles with me changing playback khz / dsd rates sometimes and I wasn't sure if it was my transport or not but i'm pretty sure it's the usb implementation in the M500 now (I've installed the latest firmware on their website). I didn't have this issue at all with the M400(YinLuMei). I personally don't use MQA just flac and dsd so no comment on how well that works on the M500 or if it's supported on M400 (I assume no?)

Battery lasted me 5:34 with the 4.4mm jack volume 70 to 85. I would say my main complaints are the battery life and the fingerprint side~ but still would seem to indicate that the hp amps are biased into class a?

All this is mostly technical stuff but still listening, what I hear so far still sounds good. I don't have other portable dacs and such to compare to or the one I have is 10+ years old and just not as good. Fairly subtle differences between it and my desktop dacs but the HP out is better than them. (M500, zodiac+, my friend who rents my basement and therefore is my quarantine buddy will have a d90 to compare with shortly.) The zodiac is in my speaker system so slightly annoying to compare vs but will try with speakers later. Anyhow the treble seems less sibilant than the m500. I think the m500 is a little sibilant which some might like, but I prefer the m400 in this regard. (Comparing the hp outs anyhow I think the m400 has a superior hp section anyhow so maybe that is skewing things, will compare them using the line out or using the 4.4mm as a balanced out, matching levels with voltage, then through a hp amp later.) Bass presentation is very good IMO.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 123
I just got my M400. I have listened to it briefly with UAPP and it is so amazing.

Now I am trying to use it with my Windows 10 Desktop PC. I guess I would need to install some driver, right?

I can't read Chinese. So if someone knows, please teach me how.

Jul 15, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #28 of 123
So maybe I don't have anything sensitive enough to get noise @ 80, but I did have some noise @ volume settings over 100-120 depending on the headphone, also can hear clicks as it changes volume settings as you approach 127. Those settings would have been painfully loud if it was playing something so I don't really mind that personally. On a related note I was thinking this really doesn't get that loud until I saw the volume goes past 100 :/ I'm not really sure why they went 0-127 instead of 0-255, I assume it still represents mute -> -95.5dB -> +31.5dB. Maybe because of how many turns it already takes to go from 0-127? I think it was maybe worse on the SE output but I only tried 1 set of iems on both inputs.

At max volume on the se output my iem made like a foghorn noise which is kinda bad but I think they would have been in danger of being damaged had audio been playing, there's almost no chance of accidentally going to max volume though. None of the other hps did the same just a hiss @ max on the 4.4mm but that one iem I used se is also my most sensitive headphone at 107db @1mw.

I couldn't detect any noise on the line out. Maybe the noise is coming from the pga2311s at high gain? I dunno really... but it drove all my hps quite loud before getting to where I could hear the noise, though I don't have anything extravagantly sensitive or not sensitive.

The knob feels like metal to me... it's cold to the touch when it's not warm from being used, though I can't be certain without doing something destructive. As far as I can tell the only external plastic parts are the led lenses.

Agree that the gain settings aren't that different like maybe +6db per setting or something, maybe I will check the voltage change :/ I actually tried to take it apart but I couldn't get much further than taking the back panel off. No idea how to remove the knob, the pcb is wider than the hole. I don't know how I could take it apart further without breaking it.

I have an SMSL M500(that's gonna be confusing :/) that struggles with me changing playback khz / dsd rates sometimes and I wasn't sure if it was my transport or not but i'm pretty sure it's the usb implementation in the M500 now (I've installed the latest firmware on their website). I didn't have this issue at all with the M400(YinLuMei). I personally don't use MQA just flac and dsd so no comment on how well that works on the M500 or if it's supported on M400 (I assume no?)

Battery lasted me 5:34 with the 4.4mm jack volume 70 to 85. I would say my main complaints are the battery life and the fingerprint side~ but still would seem to indicate that the hp amps are biased into class a?

All this is mostly technical stuff but still listening, what I hear so far still sounds good. I don't have other portable dacs and such to compare to or the one I have is 10+ years old and just not as good. Fairly subtle differences between it and my desktop dacs but the HP out is better than them. (M500, zodiac+, my friend who rents my basement and therefore is my quarantine buddy will have a d90 to compare with shortly.) The zodiac is in my speaker system so slightly annoying to compare vs but will try with speakers later. Anyhow the treble seems less sibilant than the m500. I think the m500 is a little sibilant which some might like, but I prefer the m400 in this regard. (Comparing the hp outs anyhow I think the m400 has a superior hp section anyhow so maybe that is skewing things, will compare them using the line out or using the 4.4mm as a balanced out, matching levels with voltage, then through a hp amp later.) Bass presentation is very good IMO.
Are you still happy with m400?
How does it compares to Topping D90 and SMSL M500 in the long run?
Issues you reported are also mentioned in the youtube video above.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #29 of 123
I don't have a D90 to compare to yet, my friend who was gonna get that broke his custom JH audio iems and is getting that fixed first instead. That & cv stuff derailed my comparison plans. Maybe I should go ahead and do that with just the dacs I have, I am still fine with it besides that the battery life isn't long enough. There have been no updates to M500 firmware that I can find for my playback rate issues :/. Also, I intended to get it to use it at work but I am still working from home since cv stuff started, not really going out much at all... if I'm actually stuck in the house it's less convenient than my home audio stuff and it has really cut into my motivation to use it right now. I prefer it to the M500, though that might just be personal preference. I don't actually use either in my home setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back