Yet Another Request For Advice - Portable Closed Over Ear Headphones
Mar 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gavinmac

New Head-Fier
Hello, new member here.

I am looking round for a new pair of headphones, for use on my commute. I don't get on with IEMs, so it will have to be over ear.

What I am looking for -
  1. Closed - I don't mind if they are not totally isolating, but I hate leakage out
  2. Reasonably sized - large supra aural or small circum aural. I wear glasses, so it is difficult to keep a seal with very large, round circum aural phones. I have some noise cancelling Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 for watching video on the tube, and they are an ideal size, but they leak too much sound for music
  3. As good sound as possible for the money. Natural mid range is probably most important to me. I don't go for monster bass, but everyone likes a bit of bass boost.

I have the SFlo2 and Headstage Arrow portable amp on order and that will be my main rig, so I guess they don't have to be super efficient. On the other hand, I'll be keeping my Cowon S9, and it would be nice if that could drive them effectively too. I listen mainly to flac or 320 mp3.

I have been lurking on the forum for a while and reading every review I can find. The 2 that most seem to suit me are the Bowers & Wilkins P5 and Phiaton MS400.

The overall feeling on both of them seems to be that they offer good sound, but are overpriced for the sound quality they offer. However, the better sounding recommendations I have found have been too bulky for me, or open backed.

The Bowers & Wilkins go for £250 in the UK and I guess that would be around my limit, unless there is something really exceptional for just a little more.

I am currently leaning towards the Phiatons as they are a lot cheaper and reviews seem to put it only a little behind or level in terms of sound quality.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome. Does anyone know a good shop in London where I can try these kinds of phones?

Aplogies if this has been covered to death in other posts. I did search and didn't find one precisely on this topic.

Thanks

Gavin

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 4
Have you considered the ATH-ESW9A? (~£200)

I cannot comment on their sound as I have the ATH-ES10 which have a different sound sig, but these 2 cans are probably the most attractive portables that I wouldn't feel silly walking about in public wearing, IMO.

I would suggest the ES10, but they are expensive (~£350) and seem to have increased in price since I bought them.

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you, they do look interesting. I had noticed them, but then skimmed past, because I got it into my head that they are open.

I think the ES10s are just physically too big for me. I am fairly skinny and would feel a bit self conscious with phones that size. I think the ESW9As are just about at my upper limit size wise.

I am now debating in my mind which are less likely to get me mugged (I live in Hackney, North London) :)

I need to read further on these.

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 4
I think both ES cans are the same size. I don't think they are big, if anything the P5 looks larger.

They aren't open, but the isolation is average. I'm not too sure on the leakage as I've not tested it.

Here is a pic. Sexy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back