Yet another Little Dot MkVI amp review ....
Dec 11, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #31 of 57
Welp, after debating the decision for a month, I just impulse-bought ("Buy Now with 1-Click") a Little Dot MK VI+ Balanced Headphone Amp. Curse you, Head-Fi.org! 
dt880smile.png

If non-Prime shipping from NY is accurate, I should have it before Santa arrives.  Now to slide down the slippery slope of buying [premium] balanced cables for all my headphones ...

- Dave

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #33 of 57
Hello fellow Lil' Dot MK VI owners! I too recently purchased this unit. Actually, it's a 'repeat' as I previously owned one years ago, and always remembered how good it sounded (yeah, never should have sold it in the first place!).

Questions; my unit exhibits an audible transformer 'hum' - is this normal? 

Also, I have a few sets of 6080 tubes on hand to try, but thought i would save some time (and blistered fingers) by asking some of our more experienced tube rollers.... here's what I have to pick from; the original 6080 Thompson that came with the unit (made in France), a set of Raytheon/JAN 6080 (matched pairs, made in USA) and a set of GE 6AS7 (made is USA).

Any thoughts, help, guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #34 of 57
  Hello fellow Lil' Dot MK VI owners! I too recently purchased this unit. Actually, it's a 'repeat' as I previously owned one years ago, and always remembered how good it sounded (yeah, never should have sold it in the first place!).

Questions; my unit exhibits an audible transformer 'hum' - is this normal? 

Also, I have a few sets of 6080 tubes on hand to try, but thought i would save some time (and blistered fingers) by asking some of our more experienced tube rollers.... here's what I have to pick from; the original 6080 Thompson that came with the unit (made in France), a set of Raytheon/JAN 6080 (matched pairs, made in USA) and a set of GE 6AS7 (made is USA).

Any thoughts, help, guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Hello Mobiustereo and welcome back!

I'm one of the more junior MK VI+ owners, so please take my thoughts with a grain of skepticism.  

Is your transformer hum audible in the headphones, or just outside the physical transformer cover?  After maybe 500 hours, I started hearing an occasional hum in the left channel of my orthos.  The "fix" (so far) has been to unplug then reinsert the 4-pin XLR and it usually goes away.  If I put my ear directly on the big, black boxes (transformers) I hear some hum, but it was completely drowned out by the amazingly noisy stock fans.  If you've had a Mk VI/VI+ before, you must know that Upgrade #0 is to replace those fans.

Regarding tube rolling, I recently scanned the:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/522099/little-dot-mk-vi-little-dot-mk-viii-se-owners-unite/2280

thread end to end, posted a list of collected recommendations, and finally settled on Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z black bottle driver tubes with RCA 6AS7G vintage NOS matched power tubes.  I love the 6AS7Gs!  It mellowed out any harshness and forces me to listen to my music library longer and louder than ever before.

- Dave

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #35 of 57
Awesome info. - thanks Dave! The transformer hum is only audible 'outside' the transformer covers. Absolutely quiet as a church mouse through my HE-1000's. And yes, I was 'pro-active' and went ahead and replaced the cooling fans with a pair that were suggested in a thread hear at head-fi - can't even hear them at all (actually had to take a peak under the unit to make sure they were even on!).

Not nearly broken-in yet and I'm already amazed at what this amp is capable of. Great dynamic swings from micro to macro, lots of air & detail, etc. Should get interesting after 100-200 hrs!

I'll check out those Shaguang's if I can find a set.

Dennis

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #37 of 57
  What is the difference between Little Dot MK6 2 and Little Dot MK6 VI?

There's really only the Little Dot MK VI (six) and the Little Dot Mk VI+ (six-plus), and currently, only the VI+ is available for sale:

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=831

It may have been a misprint or typo.  I've seen redundant model numbers (e.g. MK6 VI+) on Amazon before:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Dot-VI-Balanced-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QMFV4

but I'm thinking that might be so they match searches for both "MK VI+" and "MK6".

- Dave

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #38 of 57

There's really only the Little Dot MK VI (six) and the Little Dot Mk VI+ (six-plus), and currently, only the VI+ is available for sale:

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=831

It may have been a misprint or typo.  I've seen redundant model numbers (e.g. MK6 VI+) on Amazon before:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Dot-VI-Balanced-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QMFV4

but I'm thinking that might be so they match searches for both "MK VI+" and "MK6".

- Dave

I see. Thanks. So, are you saying these are the same?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QMFV4/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g23_i1_sh
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ALOK28O/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i9

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #40 of 57
  I see. Thanks. So, are you saying these are the same?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QMFV4/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g23_i1_sh
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ALOK28O/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i9

I believe so.  In fact, I posted the "Top Customer Review" on the first URL, and they both have the same bullet points under "Estimated Delivery".  I have no idea why the second one suggests a List Price of $1,599.00.

- Dave

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #41 of 57

I believe so.  In fact, I posted the "Top Customer Review" on the first URL, and they both have the same bullet points under "Estimated Delivery".  I have no idea why the second one suggests a List Price of $1,599.00.

- Dave

Yeah, looks wrong ))
David from LittleDot just wrote this to me regarding both links:

"the two Amazon sellers are not authorized and thus we can't guarantee the authenticity or quality of the goods. In these cases while the list price can be lower, they are often B-stock or refurbished goods. In addition, please note that units via grey market or unauthorized sellers will not include our warranty or support.."

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #42 of 57
Although there may be a small wait time for assembly,
I would recommend buying straight from little dot as it is easier and cheaper by a small amount over ebay.

Never seen a B-stock unit but I can envision refurbished goods.

Also, regarding the choice of amp,
I personally own the MK8, but I believe the MK6 is more versatile.
Neither will be using stock tubes anyways once you start rolling tubes or mod ding if you whish.
Just remember the warranty will be voided if you mod,
But that goes with ALL these tube amps.

I hope that little dot at least updates the amp with color choice of the transformer covers to have silver option in future as it shouldn't be a big deal.

These amps remain possibly the only balanced tube amps under $1k.
Plus they are both OCL & OTL.
:)

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #43 of 57
Hey guys I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these, does it have the power to drive the HE-560 well? I will probably run the amp with a single ended source for a few months before I can get my hands on a balanced Dac, I assume I will still enjoy the amp right?

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #44 of 57
Hey guys I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of these, does it have the power to drive the HE-560 well? I will probably run the amp with a single ended source for a few months before I can get my hands on a balanced Dac, I assume I will still enjoy the amp right?

You will love the MK6+!

It has tons of power for planars like Mr. Speakers, Audeze and Hifiman. It drives my harder to drive headphones like my late revision pre-fazor LCD-3 with ease.

But the MK6 only sounds its best with a balanced input. I use it with a PS Audio DAC, single ended sources have roughly 6dB less of gain and the sound is less dynamic and open with SE inputs on the MK6.

I also own LD's flagship amp, which is actually Solid State, same size as the MK6 and MK8, its called the X1. It's relativeley an unknown in the West but it's an amazing amp as well, but it is more exlensive than the MK6.

It comes with upgraded caps, ELNA Cerafine or Kendeil and it has a phase inverter so single ended input will sound the same as balanced without the loss in gain and dynamics.

My MK6 also has factory upgraded caps but the X1 is a slightly better sounding amp!

Both are amazing and I actually purchased both to replace a Woo WA22 I sold and these LD amps are superior to the Woo in performance (Noise and Audio Quality and Drive) quality of components etc.

Good Luck on whatever you decide!!

Jul 4, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #45 of 57
You will love the MK6+!

It has tons of power for planars like Mr. Speakers, Audeze and Hifiman. It drives my harder to drive headphones like my late revision pre-fazor LCD-3 with ease.

But the MK6 only sounds its best with a balanced input. I use it with a PS Audio DAC, single ended sources have roughly 6dB less of gain and the sound is less dynamic and open with SE inputs on the MK6.

I also own LD's flagship amp, which is actually Solid State, same size as the MK6 and MK8, its called the X1. It's relativeley an unknown in the West but it's an amazing amp as well, but it is more exlensive than the MK6.

It comes with upgraded caps, ELNA Cerafine or Kendeil and it has a phase inverter so single ended input will sound the same as balanced without the loss in gain and dynamics.

My MK6 also has factory upgraded caps but the X1 is a slightly better sounding amp!

Both are amazing and I actually purchased both to replace a Woo WA22 I sold and these LD amps are superior to the Woo in performance (Noise and Audio Quality and Drive) quality of components etc.

Good Luck on whatever you decide!!

Thanks for getting back to me. 
I just pulled the trigger, I have the MK-6+ with the fan upgrade coming with a new balanced dac, and the HE-560's with a balanced cable. Also have a set of 4 Svetlana Winged C 6AS7G, and a set of two Tung- Sol 6SN7GTB. Hoping I will enjoy these, and maybe they will be an upgrade over the stock tubes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back